Delphian School Photo #2 - Because our students study independently and learn from their materials instead of through a lecture-style classroom, each student in a class could be studying on a different course.
Delphian School Photo #3 - Not sure about learning on your own, without a teacher? Most people don't know there is an actual technology of study - ways to learn without memorization or memory tricks. We firmly believe that with the right study tools, a student can be his own best teacher. At Delphian, we'll show you how to become just that.
Delphian School Photo #4 - We believe education has to be personal. That's why Delphian students study on individual academic programs tailored to their interests. Making films, designing a computer game, helping to construct a bridge - their interests become part of their high school program.
Delphian School Photo #5 - Application of the subject being studied is central to learning. That's why Delphian students take what they're studying out into the world to apply it to their lives. By the time they graduate, Delphian students have spent over 1000 ours on practical activities - projects, internships, apprenticeships and personal interest activities.
Delphian School Photo #6 - No matter what science course they're studying, Delphian students spend the majority of their time in the lab or out in the world, putting scientific theories into practice, practicing the scientific method with their own theories, or putting proven theories into use.
Delphian School Photo #7 - The emphasis of Delphian's athletic program is on leadership, participation and sportsmanship. Delphian teams often win sportsmanship trophies from their league or tournament competition and are widely known for it. The school has many state-level competing teams every year.
Delphian School Photo #8 - When the academic day is over, our students participate in afternoon classes of their choosing - music, art, theater, athletics, game design, film, photography...on average 22 elective activities to choose from throughout the year.
Delphian School Photo #9 - We think of these as complimentary co-curriculars - not extra-curricular - because music, art, athletics and all the rest are all part of a well-rounded education.
- Located in Sheridan, Oregon, we are and independent and private day and boarding school for primary through high school students.
- The Delphian School offers a demanding and groundbreaking independent-study program that focuses on the practical application of the subjects being studied.
- Our student community is made up by a diverse mix of American and international students from more than 17 countries and various cultural and religious backgrounds.
- At The Delphian School our academic philosophy focuses on using the information being studied, instead of memorizing the data just to pass an exam. Here, students learn how to evaluate the importance of the information they are studying by comparing it to other concepts they`ve already learned. In the end, the information they learned doesn`t just become another useless fact that they will memorize and then discard; it has become an integral part of their education as a whole. And, most importantly, during the process our students have learned to reason and think for themselves and are able to apply what they learned to their daily lives.
- 87% of the students who graduate from the Delphian School are admitted to their first choice college. Our students constantly score 25% higher than the national average on the SAT.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Emory University Located on the foothills of the coastal range, the Delphian School provides a friendly and peaceful place for students from all over the world.I will miss how students interact with each other. Every individual. . .
- N/A There are two main things that are extremely unique about Delphian. First, is the use of Study Technology. This teaches students how to study, and help them be able to move faster and actually understand. . .
- N/A The main aspect of the Delphian School is their method of education and what the program has to offer. The program that they use, the Study Technology program, really helps students understand the things that. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Delphian School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||5-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-12||9-12|
|Campus Size||720 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||230 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1284||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||30||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||20 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:10||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||9||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$2 million||$18 million|
(Boarding tuition rates range: $49,014 - $51788)
|Tuition international students||$58,240||$48,850|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$13,500|
(Merit scholarships also available)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 15 / Mar. 1||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Bridgette Rappoport|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||9||17|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Computers, English Language, English Literature, French Language and Culture, Macro Economics, Micro Economics, Music Theory, Physics B, Spanish Language, Studio Art|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||10||15|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||23||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Boy Scouts, Chess Club, Cooking Club, International Club, Space Club, Student Council, Study Tutor Club, Writing and Poetry
Arts and Music Programs:
Audio Visual Club, Blue Key Tour Guides, Ceramics Club, Choir, Coffee Houses, Conversation Partners, Drama Club, Drawing, Fine Arts Club, Guitar Club, Strings (Orchestra), Woodshop
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Diversity Discussion Group, Weightlifting, Yoga
|Year: 2010 - 2015||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Parsons, New School for Design||4|
|Berklee College of Music||3|
|University of Oregon||3|
|University of Washington||3|
|New York University||2|
|University of California, Davis||2|
|University of California, Los Angeles||2|
|University of Notre Dame||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Delphian's History and ProgramDelphian was founded in 1976 by a group of educators concerned about the decline in the standards of American education. Delphian curriculum integrates innovative study methods recognized worldwide as a breakthrough in education. By learning how to study, without memorization or memory tricks, students develop the confidence and knowledge to tackle the most challenging subjects and learn anything on their own. They become their own best teacher.All Delphian students spend time putting their knowledge into practice. By the time they graduate, students have devoted over 1,000 hours to practical field activities, projects, and internships or apprenticeships.Rather than place or advance a child based on age or number of months spent in one grade level, Delphian takes the approach that each level of a student's education involves the acquisition and demonstration of particular abilities and knowledge. Spending exactly a year at one level may be fine for some children but not for others. Some students thrive at a faster pace, and some need more time. In fact, most students experience a little bit of both from month to month, depending on the subject matter, their age, or any number of variables.Delphian School utilizes the concept of forms instead of grades as a way of getting excellent learning results without forcing all students to move at exactly the same pace through the material. The School has a defined set of rigorous standards which must be met for a student to complete a form. Though forms can be roughly equivalent to grade levels and ages, it is possible for a younger student to move on to a higher form once they've met all the requirements for their current form. In this way, each student can get the full benefits from the curriculum and keep advancing as rapidly as he or she is maturing.At the beginning of each new form, students work one-on-one with a curriculum specialist to develop their own, individual program of academic study to agument the core curriculum. They work to fill in any gaps in their previous educations, bolster areas that may need extra attention, and follow their personal academic passions.Because of the independent study nature of our program, students can move as quickly through their courses and forms as they like, as long as they demonstrate that they understand and can apply the material. Student LifeDelphian's student body takes a highly active role in all school activities, giving each student the opportunity to learn personal lessons about responsibility, ethics, integrity, and leadership. Once academic classes are finished, our students jump into a variety of afternoon activities sports, music, art, drama, photography and dozens more elective courses. In their evening downtime, Delphian students might get together with friends in the recreation room, work on their jump shots in the gym, participate in a choir sectional, get in some extra study time, or just relax in the dorm.Student Council members do much of the weekend activity planning, which might include heading off campus to catch a play, movie, or sporting event in Portland; take part in a community service activity; go ice skating or skiing, camping or shopping. On-campus events might include a nighttime game of Capture the Flag and a bonfire, a special dance, or Friday Night Performance, where students take the stage to sing, act, dance, or perform songs from their favorite bands.MatriculationDelphian School graduates are accepted at top ranked colleges and universities across the United States. 95% get accepted into their top choice colleges.
- Delphian School accreditations: Northwest Accreditation Commission (NWAC), Northwest Association of Independent Schools (NWAIS), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), Western Boarding Schools Association (WBSA), AdvancedEd
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Sky Dayton - Founder of EarthLink and founder and chairman of Boingo Wireless, and a technology investor/entrepreneur.
- Thad Corea - Drummer (Wild Colonials; Blue Man Group); Jaguar Recording Studio
- Arwen Dayton - Author
- Natasha Gray - Artist/sculptor
- Vivian Gray - Actress (Dread)
- Sylvan Lionni - Artist
- Melissa McPhail - Author
- David O'Donnell - Actor/producer/writer: Air Force One; NCIS; Days of Our Lives
- Eduardo Olmos - Mayor of Torreon, Coahuila, Mexico
- Doug Rappoport - Lead guitarist (Edgar Winter)
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Delphian School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 3-9| 225 students 2498.3 miles94 Old Main Street, PO Box 8
Deerfield, MA 01342
- Grades: 9-12, PG| 1700 students 2472.4 miles7400 San Jose Blvd.
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Jacksonville, FL 32217
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
You and I have experienced all kinds of travel glitches. Discuss your child's upcoming travel plans thoroughly so that your child will be safe and in charge of her travel. The result will be peace of mind for you both.