Because our students study independently and learn from their materials instead of through a lecture-style classroom, each student in a class could be studying on a different course.
Not sure about learning on your own, without a teacher? Most people don't know there is an actual technology of study - ways to learn without memorization or memory tricks. We firmly believe that with the right study tools, a student can be his own best teacher. At Delphian, we'll show you how to become just that.
We believe education has to be personal. That's why Delphian students study on individual academic programs tailored to their interests. Making films, designing a computer game, helping to construct a bridge - their interests become part of their high school program.
Application of the subject being studied is central to learning. That's why Delphian students take what they're studying out into the world to apply it to their lives. By the time they graduate, Delphian students have spent over 1000 ours on practical activities - projects, internships, apprenticeships and personal interest activities.
No matter what science course they're studying, Delphian students spend the majority of their time in the lab or out in the world, putting scientific theories into practice, practicing the scientific method with their own theories, or putting proven theories into use.
The emphasis of Delphian's athletic program is on leadership, participation and sportsmanship. Delphian teams often win sportsmanship trophies from their league or tournament competition and are widely known for it. The school has many state-level competing teams every year.
When the academic day is over, our students participate in afternoon classes of their choosing - music, art, theater, athletics, game design, film, photography...on average 22 elective activities to choose from throughout the year.
We think of these as complimentary co-curriculars - not extra-curricular - because music, art, athletics and all the rest are all part of a well-rounded education.
- Delphian School is an independent, coeducational day and boarding school located in Sheridan, Oregon.
- We offer a rigorous independent-study program with a strong emphasis on practical application for primary through high school students.
- The Delphian community is a diverse, international student body representing over eighteen countries and many different religious and cultural backgrounds.
- Emphasis in academics is on use of the data, rather than memorization to pass a test. Students are taught how to evaluate the importance of information by comparing an idea they`re studying to other concepts they`ve already learned. They explain it, demonstrate it, teach it to someone else, and apply it to their lives. In the end, it`s not just another fact to be memorized and abandoned; it`s been incorporated into the larger structure of their education. And in the process, our students have learned to think and reason.
- 87% of Delphian graduates are admitted to their first choices colleges. Our students routinely score 25% higher than the national average on the SAT.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- N/A The main aspect of the Delphian School is their method of education and what the program has to offer. The program that they use, the Study Technology program, really helps students understand the things that. . .
- Internship at Riding Academy in Los Angeles I loved how every teacher there was your friend. They honestly cared how you were doing, that you had full understanding of all the subjects you were studying and especially that you had a purpose. . .
- None The Delphian School is an amazing place. Between the gorgeous campus, the proficiency based educational model and the fantastic opportunities it provides for it's students, it's truly a one of a kind place. One aspect. . .
- Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising Delphian encourages their students to pursue what they are passionate about and to actually understand and be able to use their education. They encourage students not to study because they have to pass a test. . .
- Musicians Institute Delphian is an incredible school! One of the things I noticed when I first came here was the responsibility level of the students. They are so capable of doing things such as running an. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Delphian School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||5-12||6-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-12||4-12|
|Campus Size||720 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||229 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1284||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||30||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||20 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:10||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||9||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$2 million||$17 million|
(Boarding tuition rates range: $49,014 - $51788)
(Day student tuition rates range from $16,215 - $28,270 and vary by school (Lower, Elementary, Middle, Upper).)
|Tuition international students||$58,240||$47,500|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$13,500||$22,730|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 15 / Mar. 1||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Bridgette Rappoport|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||9||17|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Computers, English Language, English Literature, French Language and Culture, Macro Economics, Micro Economics, Music Theory, Physics B, Spanish Language, Studio Art|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||10||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||23||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Archery Club, Boy Scouts, Chess Club, Cooking Club, International Club, Space Club, Student Council, Writing and Poetry
Arts and Music Programs:
Audio Visual Club, Ceramics Club, Choir, Drama Club, Drawing, Fine Arts Club, Guitar Club, Jazz Club, Music, Photography & Darkroom Editing, Strings (Orchestra), Woodshop
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Intramural Sports, Weightlifting, Yoga
|Year: 2010 - 2015||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Parsons, New School for Design||4|
|Berklee College of Music||3|
|University of Oregon||3|
|University of Washington||3|
|New York University||2|
|University of California, Davis||2|
|University of California, Los Angeles||2|
|University of Notre Dame||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Delphian's History and ProgramDelphian was founded in 1976 by a group of educators concerned about the decline in the standards of American education. Delphian curriculum integrates innovative study methods recognized worldwide as a breakthrough in education. By learning how to study, without memorization or memory tricks, students develop the confidence and knowledge to tackle the most challenging subjects and learn anything on their own. They become their own best teacher.All Delphian students spend time putting their knowledge into practice. By the time they graduate, students have devoted over 1,000 hours to practical field activities, projects, and internships or apprenticeships.Rather than place or advance a child based on age or number of months spent in one grade level, Delphian takes the approach that each level of a student's education involves the acquisition and demonstration of particular abilities and knowledge. Spending exactly a year at one level may be fine for some children but not for others. Some students thrive at a faster pace, and some need more time. In fact, most students experience a little bit of both from month to month, depending on the subject matter, their age, or any number of variables.Delphian School utilizes the concept of forms instead of grades as a way of getting excellent learning results without forcing all students to move at exactly the same pace through the material. The School has a defined set of rigorous standards which must be met for a student to complete a form. Though forms can be roughly equivalent to grade levels and ages, it is possible for a younger student to move on to a higher form once they've met all the requirements for their current form. In this way, each student can get the full benefits from the curriculum and keep advancing as rapidly as he or she is maturing.At the beginning of each new form, students work one-on-one with a curriculum specialist to develop their own, individual program of academic study to agument the core curriculum. They work to fill in any gaps in their previous educations, bolster areas that may need extra attention, and follow their personal academic passions.Because of the independent study nature of our program, students can move as quickly through their courses and forms as they like, as long as they demonstrate that they understand and can apply the material. Student LifeDelphian's student body takes a highly active role in all school activities, giving each student the opportunity to learn personal lessons about responsibility, ethics, integrity, and leadership. Once academic classes are finished, our students jump into a variety of afternoon activities sports, music, art, drama, photography and dozens more elective courses. In their evening downtime, Delphian students might get together with friends in the recreation room, work on their jump shots in the gym, participate in a choir sectional, get in some extra study time, or just relax in the dorm.Student Council members do much of the weekend activity planning, which might include heading off campus to catch a play, movie, or sporting event in Portland; take part in a community service activity; go ice skating or skiing, camping or shopping. On-campus events might include a nighttime game of Capture the Flag and a bonfire, a special dance, or Friday Night Performance, where students take the stage to sing, act, dance, or perform songs from their favorite bands.MatriculationDelphian School graduates are accepted at top ranked colleges and universities across the United States. 95% get accepted into their top choice colleges.
- School accreditations: Northwest Accreditation Commission (NWAC), Northwest Association of Independent Schools (NWAIS), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), Western Boarding Schools Association (WBSA), AdvancedEd
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Sky Dayton - Founder of EarthLink and founder and chairman of Boingo Wireless, and a technology investor/entrepreneur.
- Thad Corea - Drummer (Wild Colonials; Blue Man Group); Jaguar Recording Studio
- Arwen Dayton - Author
- Natasha Gray - Artist/sculptor
- Vivian Gray - Actress (Dread)
- Sylvan Lionni - Artist
- Melissa McPhail - Author
- David O'Donnell - Actor/producer/writer: Air Force One; NCIS; Days of Our Lives
- Eduardo Olmos - Mayor of Torreon, Coahuila, Mexico
- Doug Rappoport - Lead guitarist (Edgar Winter)
- Submit Review for Delphian School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 3-9| 220 students 2498.6 miles94 Old Main Street, PO Box 8
Deerfield, MA 01342
- Grades: 7-12, PG| 1700 students 2472.7 miles7400 San Jose Blvd.
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Jacksonville, FL 32217
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
March 19, 2018
Some cynics think single-sex education is old-fashioned. The Kiski School shows how educating boys in a single-sex school is successful.
March 14, 2018
Determining which programs are 'must haves' is an important part of choosing the right boarding school for your child.
March 08, 2018
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.