Gould Academy Photo #2 - Gould Academy offers the only Ski Patrol Program recognized by the National Ski Patrol. Once our students earn their 'jackets,' they are certified to work for the National Ski Patrol at any mountain in the U.S.
Gould Academy Photo #3 - Collaboration is a required and sought after skill in the 21st century work place. Our students graduate with a keen understanding of how to be independent thinkers within the context of teamwork. The result is powerful.
Gould Academy Photo #4 - The Gould Academy Competition Program (GACP) trains high level winter student-athletes in alpine, freestyle, Nordic, and snowboarding. Our student-athletes enjoy dedicated training facilities at Sunday River Ski Resort, six miles from campus. You'll find our GACP athletes competing all over the world.
Gould Academy Photo #5 - From mountain biking and lacrosse, to soccer and skateboarding, to equestrian and basketball. We offer a very diverse selection of competitive sports so that each student may discover or continue to develop their passion.
Gould Academy Photo #6 - Our beautiful 456 acre campus in the heart of the western Maine mountains is a gateway to outdoor experiential learning, research, and play. The Bethel, Maine downtown is a gem offering coffee shops, restaurants, and retailers all within walking distance of campus.
Gould Academy Photo #7 - Rock climbing, hiking, ice climbing canoeing and variety of other outdoor experiences abound in the White Mountains.
Gould Academy Photo #8 - With 11 Steinway pianos on campus, Gould holds the All Steinway School distinction, shared with other schools such as the Yale School of Music and the Oberlin Conservatory of Music. Through state-of-the-art technology, Gould also offers a distance learning program in partnership with the Manhattan School of Music.
Gould Academy Photo #9 - From painting to blacksmithing, Gould offers an incredible array of visual art courses. Continue your artistic passions or discover the artist within you that you never knew was there. Art students go on to study at the Savannah College of Art, Rhode Island School of Design and School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
- Gould Academy is more than a 9-12 college prep school.
- It`s a place where students participate actively in shaping their education by taking advantage of opportunities that extend beyond the classroom.
- The result is an individualized educational experience with active mentoring.
- Students grow through experiential learning, international travel, arts workshops, service projects, and independent study in Gould`s Four Point Program
- Gould`s partnership with the Manhattan School of Music, the Marlon Family IDEAS Center where students collaborate, design, build, and put their ideas into action, and the Art Cottage complete with blacksmithing, ceramics, and individual, college-level art studios.
- Located in Bethel, Maine, Gould students enjoy living in a lively New England village with access to Sunday River Ski Resort only 10 minutes away.
- With 40 kilometers of trails on campus for mountain biking and Nordic skiing, Gould's campus is ideally located at the edge of the White Mountains, with opportunities for hiking, paddling, climbing, biking, fishing, skiing, and just about any other outdoor activity one could imagine at their doorstep.
- In an environment that values both individuality and community, Gould prepares academically motivated students for college and helps them to become independent-minded, ethical citizens who will lead lives of purpose, action, excellence, and compassion in a dynamic world.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Stetson University Gould Academy's four-point program is what sets it apart from other schools. This program is defined by what each grade does during the weeks between 2nd trimester and Spring break. Grade 9 embarks on an. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Gould Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||456 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||214 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1220||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Monthly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||11 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||11||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$20 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Chris Sparks|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||11||18|
|Courses||AB Calculus, BC Calculus, Biology, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, Government Comparative, Honors Senior Math(topics include Calculus BC), Physics, Stastistics, US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Cycling, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||14||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Blue Key, Community Service Club, Global Student Organization, Gould Goes Green, Math Team, Model UN, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Band, Chorus, Drama Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Farm and Forest, Maine Adaptive Ski Coaching, On-Snow Instructing Program, Recreational Skiing
|Year: 2013 - 2018||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|St. Lawrence University||13|
|University of Vermont||10|
|Saint Michael's College||9|
|University of Colorado, Boulder||9|
|University of Main||8|
|Hobart William Smith||7|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
We know and respect that we have the greatest window of opportunity to make life-changing connections with each student:
- to encourage creative and conceptual thinking
- to teach problem solving
- to advance social maturity
- to present physical and mental challenges
- to expand a student's world view We do it in the classroom, the lab, in the mountains, in the dorm, while traveling throughout the world and while serving our local community. The high school years are a critical period, a defining moment in every young adult`s life.At Gould, it is our enduring commitment to connect with each student to achieve his or her academic and personal best - from our first welcome on campus to the last handshake at graduation.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia / Language-based or Mild Learning Differences
- Gould Academy accreditations: TABS, NEASC, NAIS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Gould Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 578 students 25.1 miles745 Main Street
Fryeburg, ME 04037
Learn about an initially reluctant parent's perspective on boarding school.
Visiting schools on your short list is very important. During your visit observe and ask questions.
Thinking about sending your tween to boarding school? The personal attention and comprehensive programs which junior boarding schools offer are worth a serious review.