Collaboration is a required and sought after skill in the 21st century work place. Our students graduate with a keen understanding of how to be independent thinkers within the context of teamwork. The result is powerful.
The Gould Academy Competition Program (GACP) trains high level winter student-athletes in alpine, freestyle, Nordic, and snowboarding. Our student-athletes enjoy dedicated training facilities at Sunday River Ski Resort, six miles from campus. You'll find our GACP athletes competing all over the world.
From mountain biking and lacrosse, to soccer and skateboarding, to equestrian and basketball. We offer a very diverse selection of competitive sports so that each student may discover or continue to develop their passion.
Our beautiful 456 acre campus in the heart of the western Maine mountains is a gateway to outdoor experiential learning, research, and play. The Bethel, Maine downtown is a gem offering coffee shops, restaurants, and retailers all within walking distance of campus.
Rock climbing, hiking, ice climbing canoeing and variety of other outdoor experiences abound in the White Mountains.
Gould Academy offers the only Ski Patrol Program recognized by the National Ski Patrol. Once our students earn their 'jackets,' they are certified to work for the National Ski Patrol at any mountain in the U.S.
With 11 Steinway pianos on campus, Gould holds the All Steinway School distinction, shared with other schools such as the Yale School of Music and the Oberlin Conservatory of Music. Through state-of-the-art technology, Gould also offers a distance learning program in partnership with the Manhattan School of Music.
From painting to blacksmithing, Gould offers an incredible array of visual art courses. Continue your artistic passions or discover the artist within you that you never knew was there. Art students go on to study at the Savannah College of Art, Rhode Island School of Design and School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
- Gould Academy is more than a 9-12 independent college prep school.
- It`s a place where students participate actively in shaping their education by taking advantage of opportunities that extend beyond the classroom.
- The result is a co-created, individualized educational experience with active mentoring through multimodal learning.
- These modalities include experiential learning and international travel through Gould`s Four Point Program, partnerships with outside resources like Gould`s distance learning partnership with the Manhattan School of Music, and Gould`s IDEAS Center where students collaborate, design and build their ideas and put them into action.
- At Gould students are both supported and challenged as they discover and foster their own interests in a creative and disciplined manner.Located in Bethel, Maine, Gould students have the multiple advantages of living in a lively New England village with access to Sunday River Ski Resort.
- With structured athletic on-snow programs, avenues for recreation, and opportunities to appreciate the natural world, Sunday River is an important learning venue for all students.
- In an environment that values both individuality and community, Gould students earn the confidence, self-direction and capacity for global thinking that equips them for purposeful lives of active citizenship and self-defined success in our world.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Stetson University Gould Academy's four-point program is what sets it apart from other schools. This program is defined by what each grade does during the weeks between 2nd trimester and Spring break. Grade 9 embarks on an. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Gould Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||456 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||255 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Monthly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||11 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||11||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$14 million||$18 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Rebecca Andreozzi|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Bryan Johansmeyer|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||11||17|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, Government Comparative, Honors Senior Math(topics include Calculus BC), Physics, Stastistics, US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cycling, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||17||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Blue Key, Community Service Club, Farm and Forest, Gould Goes Green, Polar Bear Club, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Band, Chorus, Drama Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
On-Snow Instructing Program, Outing Club, Recreational Skiing, Recreational Snowboarding, Rock Climbing, Skateboarding, Strength Training, Winter Emergency Care
|Year: 2013 - 2018||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|St. Lawrence University||13|
|University of Vermont||10|
|Saint Michael's College||9|
|University of Colorado, Boulder||9|
|University of Main||8|
|Hobart William Smith||7|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
We know and respect that we have the greatest window of opportunity to make life changing connections with each student:
- to encourage creative and conceptual thinking
- to teach problem solving
- to advance social maturity
- to present physical and mental challenges
- to expand a student's world view It's the time to connect. We do it in the classroom, the lab, in the mountains, in the dorm, while traveling throughout the world and while serving our local community. The high school years are a critical period, a defining moment in every young adult`s life.At Gould, it is our enduring commitment to connect with each student to achieve his or her academic and personal best - from our first welcome on campus to the last handshake at graduation.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia / Language-based or Mild Learning Differences
- School accreditations: TABS, NEASC, NAIS
- Submit Review for Gould Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 578 students 25.1 miles745 Main Street
Fryeburg, ME 04037
August 02, 2018
Explore the different types of boarding school options in the US. Find which type of boarding school is most appropriate for you.
July 18, 2018
It makes sense to cast your net widely when looking at boarding schools. Here's why.
July 04, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.