Bridgton Academy Photo #2 - Welcome to Bridgton Academy! Located in the Western Maine foothills and the heart of Maine's Lake Region, we've been preparing young men for the rigors of college and beyond since 1808. We Know PG.
Bridgton Academy Photo #3 - Our multi-use turf field serves the football, soccer, and lacrosse teams, and is the hub of the top of campus.
Bridgton Academy Photo #4 - Koop Field was dedicated in 2016. A turf infield, grass outfield baseball complex, Koop Field is a collegiate-level baseball facility that serves our year-round baseball program.
Bridgton Academy Photo #5 - With 14 classes available for college credit, Bridgton Academy students not only gain invaluable experience for success in college, but they will actually be ahead of the game when they enroll in higher education.
Bridgton Academy, the nation's leading postgraduate program, focuses exclusively* on developing young men in the year between high school and college.
Through unmatched college-preparatory academics, NCAA-level athletic development, and a deliberate residential life experience, we foster the personal growth, self-confidence, and independence necessary for our students to be successful in college and life.
Located in the picturesque Lakes and Mountains Region of Western Maine, we`re only 50 minutes from the coastal city of Portland.
Bridgton Academy has been "the year that makes THE difference" for generations of students!
*Each year a number of students choose to enroll as high school seniors and earn their high school diploma from Bridgton Academy. www.bridgtonacademy.org.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|Bridgton Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||12-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||50 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||170 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$8.2 million||$25 million|
|Tuition international students||$57,900||$54,500|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$20,500||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Joe Hemmings|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||10||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||8||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Diversity Club, Peer Tutoring, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fishing Club, Outing Club, Weightlifting, Wolverines
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- All boys who have graduated high school and need a prep-school year before taking on the challenges of college.
- Fifty-acre campus in the Maine foothills of the White Mountains, Bridgton Academy offers a skills-based, core curriculum, which emphasizes writing, critical reading, and computation.
- College Articulation Program (CAP) - Through a partnership with several universities, Bridgton offers college courses on our campus to qualified students which carry transferable college credit.
- Focused Academic Coaching (FAC) - open to all students, but especially for those with mild learning differences-designed to develop self-advocacy skills, compensatory strategies, executive function skills, and various study strategies.
- SAT Preparatory Program - offered during the first semester. This program is taught by trained professionals and is taken in addition to a student's normal course load. Both the SAT and the ACT are administered on campus in November, December, January, and February, and students have the option of taking either exam if they wish.
- Writing Program - writing is the cornerstone of the curriculum: it is required in every course. To prepare students for the demands of college writing, the Academy has a Writing Center for one-on-one help at any point in the writing process, on any writing assignment.
- NCAA level Athletic Program - Bridgton offers both interscholastic competition in nine sports and intramural participation in several. Our athletic teams play against some of New England's finest college and university freshman and junior varsity (JV) teams, as well as other prep schools. College opponents have included: Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, Brown, Bowdoin, Columbia, Colgate, Boston University, The United States Naval Academy, The United States Military Academy West Point, and Tufts. Prep school opponents have included: Phillips Andover, Phillips Academy of Exeter, Buckingham, Brown and Nichols, Army Prep, and Navy Prep. Bridgton Academy's varsity athletic programs (Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Hockey, Lacrosse, and Soccer) are year-round, college-model programs designed to give our student-athletes an experience like the one they may have at the collegegiate level.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences, ADD/ADHD
- Bridgton Academy accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Victor Cruz '05 - Super Bowl champion, current wide receiver for Chicago Bears
- Brigadier General David Brigham '84 - Executive Officer, NATO Allied Land Command at US Army.
- Steven Brooks '03 - Two-time NCAA D I Lacrosse Champion (Syracuse University), MLL Champion (Chesapeake Bayhawks)
- Dan Egan '83 - World-famous Extreme Skier and Emmy-nominated Producer/Director, 2017 inductee, American Ski Hall of Fame
- Carlos Canino '84 - ATF Special Agent In Charge-Miami Field Division
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Bridgton Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Thinking about making a major gift to your school? How about endowing a faculty chair? More here.
American boarding schools have always welcomed international students. Rigorous academic programs, extensive athletic programs, and a wide range of extracurricular activities attract students from all over the world.
Admissions to boarding school is a process with many components. The process can be confusing to parents dealing with boarding school admissions for the first time. We guide you through the process.