Bridgton Academy Photo #2 - Welcome to Bridgton Academy! Located in the Western Maine foothills and the heart of Maine's Lake Region, we've been preparing young men for the rigors of college and beyond since 1808. We Know PG.
Bridgton Academy Photo #3 - Our multi-use turf field serves the football, soccer, and lacrosse teams, and is the hub of the top of campus.
Bridgton Academy Photo #4 - Koop Field was dedicated in 2016. A turf infield, grass outfield baseball complex, Koop Field is a collegiate-level baseball facility that serves our year-round baseball program.
Bridgton Academy Photo #5 - A common sight at Bridgton Academy is a teacher offering extra help during a free period. Our teachers are accessible throughout the day, and our students often seek them out for extra help, or even just to chat.
Bridgton Academy Photo #6 - With 14 classes available for college credit, Bridgton Academy students not only gain invaluable experience for success in college, but they will actually be ahead of the game when they enroll in higher education.
- Founded in 1808, Bridgton Academy is the only accredited preparatory school in the United States exclusively offering a repeat Junior (11th grade) for international students, Senior (12th grade), and a postgraduate (PG) year* (13th grade).
- Bridgton Academy is committed to challenging, and helping, our young men to develop the academic skills, study skills, self-discipline, and self-confidence necessary to succeed in college.
- Bridgton Academy offers a liberal arts curriculum, with 14 courses eligible for transferrable college credit in our College Articulation Program (CAP).
- Because our students are older, we are able to emulate the college environment and experience, yet with more structure and support than they would have in college.
- Consequently, the Bridgton Academy year is a true transition year - The Year That Makes The Difference in a student's success in college and beyond.
- Want to see what life is like at Bridgton Academy through a student's and his parent's perspective? Click and watch the videos: http://bridgtonacademy.org/admissions/bridging-the-gap/.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Bridgton Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||11-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||50 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||185 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$7.2 million||$22 million|
|Tuition international students||$54,500||$53,500|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$17,500||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Joe Hemmings|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Will Groves|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||10||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Rugby, Soccer, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||9||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Big/Little Siblings, Diversity Club, Peer Tutoring, Student Government, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Newspaper, Student Publications
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Outing Club, Weightlifting
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Located on a fifty-acre campus in the Maine foothills of the White Mountains, Bridgton Academy offers a skills-based, core curriculum, which emphasizes writing, critical reading, and computation. Students work with the academic dean to design a course of study which meets the individual needs of each student.
- College Articulation Program (CAP) - Through a partnership with several colleges in the Northeast, Bridgton Academy offers the College Articulation Program in which qualified students may take courses on the Academy's campus which may be transferable for college credit.
- Focused Academic Coaching (FAC) - Open to all students, but especially for those with documented learning disabilities, Bridgton Academy offers the Focused Academic Coaching program which has been modeled after successful college support programs designed to develop self-advocacy skills, compensatory strategies, and study skills in students.
- SAT Preparatory Program - Bridgton Academy offers an SAT Prep Program during the first semester. This program is taught by trained professionals and is taken in addition to a student's normal course load. Both the SAT and the ACT are administered on campus in November, December, January, and February, and students have the option of taking either exam if they wish.
- Writing Program - At Bridgton Academy, writing is the cornerstone of the curriculum: it is required in every course. To prepare students for the demands of college writing, the Academy has a Writing Center staffed by members of the faculty during the school day who are available to students for one-on-one help at any point in the writing process, on any writing assignment. There is a Basic Writing course, which is taken in addition to the required English courses, for students who have had very little writing instruction prior to enrolling at Bridgton Academy.
- Competetive Athletic Program - Bridgton Academy offers both interscholastic competition in nine sports, and intramural participation in several. Because students are 12 - PG young men, our athletic teams play against some of New England's finest college and university freshman and junior varsity (JV) teams, as well as other prep schools. College opponents have included: Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, Brown, Bowdoin, Columbia, Colgate, Boston University, The United States Naval Academy, The United States Military Academy West Point, and Tufts. Prep school opponents have included: Phillips Andover, Phillips Academy of Exeter, Buckingham, Brown and Nichols, Army Prep, and Navy Prep. Bridgton Academy's varsity athletic programs (Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Hockey, Lacrosse, and Soccer) are year-round, college-model programs designed to give our student-athletes an experience like the one they may have at the collegeiate level.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences, ADD/ADHD
- Bridgton Academy accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Victor Cruz '05 - Super Bowl champion, current wide receiver for Chicago Bears
- Brigadier General David Brigham '84 - Executive Officer, NATO Allied Land Command at US Army.
- Steven Brooks '03 - Two-time NCAA D I Lacrosse Champion (Syracuse University), MLL Champion (Chesapeake Bayhawks)
- Dan Egan '83 - World-famous Extreme Skier and Emmy-nominated Producer/Director, 2017 inductee, American Ski Hall of Fame
- Carlos Canino '84 - ATF Special Agent In Charge-Miami Field Division
- Submit Review for Bridgton Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
A boarding school is a business. Is your business on brand?