Holderness School Photo #2 - Holderness is just a few miles from the slopes of Cannon Mountain, Loon Mountain, and Waterville Valley. Our Snow Sports athletes also train in Switzerland, Colorado, Utah and California - just to name a few.
Holderness School Photo #3 - Our alumni consistently tell us that our student run Job Program was formative for their future success, noting proudly that they were supervisors, event planners, and project managers before they even graduated high school.
Holderness School Photo #4 - Our Snow Sports program is among the best in the nation, and we regularly send our skiers and snowboarders to the podium.
Holderness School Photo #5 - Even casual visitors to Holderness are struck by how often they hear "hello" in the buildings and on the walkways.
Holderness School Photo #6 - Athletics aren't just about wins and losses-they're about testing your limits. Our three-season sports philosophy is counter-cultural: instead of encouraging specialization, we honor participation and effort in everything we do. We cultivate grit and persistence. We find joy in the playing.
Holderness School Photo #7 - We have a ratio that you won't hear about at any other school 8:1. That's what we call a "ratio for relationships" - a ratio that means that for every eight students in a dormitory there is one faculty member to support, guide and mentor them.
- Holderness School is an independent boarding school, grades 9 - 12, for academically minded students with a love of the outdoors.
- We are located in beautiful Holderness, NH in the heart of ski country. Visit our website to fill out an online inquiry and give us a call or email to schedule a campus visit!
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- N/A Nestled in rural New Hampshire a unique aspect of Holderness school is its proximity to the White Mountains and the integral part they play over the course of a students education at Holderness. Weekend trips. . .
- St. Joesephs The one thing about Holderness that I thought was incredibly unique, and one of my favorite aspects of the school, is the sense of community. I don't think I've ever been as close to a. . .
- Westminster College Holderness is a very unique school. Aside from the down to earth culture and genuine connections you will make with faculty, two things that make it unique are 'Special Programs' in the spring and the. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Holderness School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||620 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||280 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1253||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||25||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$60 million||$19 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$32,300||$23,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||65%||-|
|Director of Admissions||David Flynn|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Woody Kampmann|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||22||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Cycling, Field Hockey, Football, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Ski Jumping, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||24||24|
|Extracurriculars||Alliance Club, Blue Key, Community Service Club, Current Events Club, Diversity Club, Dorm Prefects, Drama Club, Environment Club, Fishing Club, Food Club, Habitat for Humanity, Investment Club, Math Team, Multicultural Club, National Honor Society, Outing Club, Peer Tutoring, School Newspaper, Slackline Club, Student Activities, Student Government, Vestry, Work Program, Yearbook|
- Holderness is an independent, boarding day school, offering grades 9-12. The combination of the school's focus on community and character and its joyful outdoor spirit are what make it distinctive. Holderness offers a first class preparatory education, along with outstanding snow sports, athletics and arts programs. Our students graduate well educated, resilient, and open-minded, with the skills for a happy and successful life.
- Holderness School accreditations: NEASC, AISNE, ISANNE
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Holderness School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.
Private school mottoes speak to the high-minded purposes for which most schools were founded.
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.