Avon Old Farms School - Review #2
About the Author:
|College Enrolled||Tufts University|
|Home Town, State (Country)||Farmington, CT|
|Years Attended Boarding School||1|
|Activities During Boarding School||Football, wrestling, tennis, riddlers, singed beavers, head monitor, admissions ambassador, robotics club.|
1.) What do you think makes your school unique relative to other boarding schools?
The all-boys atmosphere provides a working atmosphere similar to a giant team of students banding together to tackle their education. It establishes trust amongst the student body and allows the same kind of trust to build between the students and teachers.
2.) What was the best thing that happened to you in boarding school?
I realized that the things we value in life as individuals often become skewed because we don't take the time to assess those values. Avon understands more than anything that friendships and experiences with people you care about are far more valuable to life than any education. I think it's very common nowadays to get caught in the current of supersonic education systems, and we often forget that the things that will provide us with a happy and healthy life are right in front of us.
3.) What might you have done differently during your boarding school experience?
I would have bought into the system more readily, getting more involved sooner. My advice would be to do just this. Don't be timid, don't waste time, and be confident right from the start.
4.) What did you like most about your school?
I think Avon truly understands boys and men as well as any. Teaching students how to value their individuality is its greatest strength.
5.) Do you have any final words of wisdom for visiting or incoming students to your school?
Take everything in because the magic runs deep in every hallway and classroom.
1.) Describe the arts program at your school - what did you like most about it?
Joining the visual and performing arts was never looked down upon, which was refreshing and unexpected especially at an all-boys school. In fact, those who joined the visual arts gained enormous respect among the body, primarily because of how much respect the incredible performances deserved.
1.) Describe the extracurriculars offered at your school - what did you like most about it?
There were endless opportunities due to the imaginations of 400 boys who felt comfortable enough to pursue whatever interests and passions they might have and to share those interests with the school.
1.) Describe the school's town and surrounding area.
Avon felt very secluded but was merely five minutes away from several small towns and shopping centers, so it has the best of both worlds.
2.) Describe the social life at your school - what did you like most about it?
A product of the all-boys aspect, the social scene at Avon was nearly stress and drama free. We all trusted each other and created bonds that made us individually feel like we were 400 strong.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- United States Military Academy Morning meeting every morning at 7:45 am really brought the community together and started each day off right. Also mandatory lunches, they gave you assigned seating which give you the opportunity to meet new people. . .
- Tufts University The all-boys atmosphere provides a working atmosphere similar to a giant team of students banding together to tackle their education. It establishes trust amongst the student body and allows the same kind of trust to. . .
- Middlebury College The physical campus is probably the most unique thing about it. There is nowhere that looks or feels like Avon and it instills the community with a sense of togetherness in ways that are often. . .
- Lake Forest College The fact that the student body population is small- 400 kids or so, and most of the students and teachers live on the property give it a real at-home feeling. Kids come from all over. . .
- Rensselaer The schools principles and mission revolve around character development. Students have a very close bond with teachers / administrators which helps foster an open form of communication. The schools also does a great. . .
January 16, 2018
Several things make boarding school special. The learning, the community, the sports. All these and more.
January 16, 2018
Sending your son or daughter to a progressive school sounds like a real leap of faith. It is, that is, until you look more closely at the kind of education your child will receive. Then you will understand the idealism in action which progressive schools embody.
January 16, 2018
The ideas and suggestions offered here are aimed at the small to medium-sized schools which have limited marketing resources.