The Masters School
The Masters School Photo #2 - Students at The Masters School engage in a rigorous college preparatory curriculum with close contact with a dedicated faculty and opportunities to explore new horizons.
The Masters School Photo #3 - All of our classes at The Masters School are taught around Harkness tables.
The Masters School Photo #4 - Weekend time is your time! You can sign up for a variety of trips, including: New York City attractions, kayaking, skiing, movies, shopping, Broadway Shows, and so much more...
The Masters School Photo #5 - Masters offers a dynamic Arts programs with tremendous opportunities for involvement in theater, music, dance and visual art.
- The Masters School is a coed day, 5 and 7-day boarding school that engages fifth through twelfth grade students in a rigorous college preparatory curriculum.
- Located on a majestic 96-acre campus just 12 miles from Manhattan.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Brown University The Masters School can be quickly distinguished from other schools by the style of teaching that takes place. After a quick tour of classes, one will notice that there are no desks. Instead, each classroom. . .
- Boston University The Masters School prides itself on using the Harkness method of teaching. Rather than sit at individual desks, students face each other around a large table. This style prompts discussion and keeps each. . .
- Middlebury College One unique aspect of the Masters School for which I was personally very grateful was our Morning Meeting. This was a gathering of the entire upper school and faculty in the theater, three times weekly. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|The Masters School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||5-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||5-12||Pre-K-12|
|Campus Size||96 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||499 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1343||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||31||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||14 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$59 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$26,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Emma Katznelson|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Tim Custer|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||18|
|Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, European History, French Language, Latin, Music Theory, Physics C Mechanics, Spanish Language, Statistics, Studio Art, United States History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Fencing, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||42||23|
|Extracurriculars||Arts, Big Brother / Big Sister, Business Peer Tutor, Democratic Club, Model United Nations, Onyx, Outdoor Club, Rescuing Earth's Environmental Future, Residental Dorm Captains, Serenity Program, Spanish Club, Tech Production|
Club or Organization:
Animation Club, Art Guild, Classics Club, Cultural Exchange Club, Knitting Club, Latin Club, Latinos Unidos, Lunar New Year, M.I.S.H. (community service), Mandarin Peer Tutor, Masterpieces (Yearbook), Muse (dance), Music Club, Nominating Committee, One Love, Operation Smile, Panache (literary magazine), Philosophy Club, Phoenix (drama), Ropes Course, SADD, Sailboat Building, Scholars, Student Discipline Committee, The Naturals (male a cappella), Touring Talent, Urban Connection (dance), Wilderness Leadership Experience, WISE, Zetetics
|Year: 2009 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||31|
|George Washington University||24|
|Johns Hopkins University||9|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1877, The Masters School is a leading co-ed day, 5 and 7-day boarding school for grades 5-12 located on a beautiful 96-acre campus. Masters is distinguished by its renowned teaching method, an accessible residential faculty and a welcoming and inclusive culture. Students find their own voices through the School`s transformative seminar-style learning approach, which builds collaborative and confident learners. All students benefit from the boarding school environment featuring true global diversity (students from 30 countries) and a vibrant 24-7 campus life with the majority of faculty living on campus. The result is students who are empowered to realize their greatest potential across academic, athletic and artistic disciplines, and emerge ready for success in college, career and life.
- The Masters School accreditations: TABS, ISAAGNY, Middle States, NAIS, NYSAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Kara DioGuardi - Kara Elizabeth DioGuardi is an American singer-songwriter, record producer, music publisher, A&R executive, composer and TV personality. She writes music primarily in the light pop-rock, dance, and R&B genres. DioGuardi has worked with many popular a
- Nancy Kissinger - Nancy Sharon Maginnes Kissinger is a philanthropist, and the second wife of former U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger. She was a long-time aide to New York governor Nelson Rockefeller before her marriage, recommended to him in 1964 by her future
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Masters School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
We explore the reasons why you should send your child to boarding school
The International Baccalaureate® Diploma Programme offers a rigorous, disciplined approach to college preparation studies. We answer common questions about the IB.