The Masters School
The Masters School Photo #2 - Students at The Masters School engage in a rigorous college preparatory curriculum with close contact with a dedicated faculty and opportunities to explore new horizons.
The Masters School Photo #3 - All of our classes at The Masters School are taught around Harkness tables.
The Masters School Photo #4 - Athletics are valued as a particularly important aspect of a student's education at The Masters School.
The Masters School Photo #5 - Weekend time is your time! You can sign up for a variety of trips, including: New York City attractions, kayaking, skiing, movies, shopping, Broadway Shows, and so much more...
The Masters School Photo #6 - Masters offers a dynamic Arts programs with tremendous opportunities for involvement in theater, music, dance and visual art.
The Masters School is a coed day, 5 and 7-day boarding school that engages fifth through twelfth grade students in a rigorous college preparatory curriculum.
Set on 96 acres overlooking the Hudson River, Masters is just 12 miles from Manhattan.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Brown University The Masters School can be quickly distinguished from other schools by the style of teaching that takes place. After a quick tour of classes, one will notice that there are no desks. Instead, each classroom. . .
- Boston University The Masters School prides itself on using the Harkness method of teaching. Rather than sit at individual desks, students face each other around a large table. This style prompts discussion and keeps each. . .
- Middlebury College One unique aspect of the Masters School for which I was personally very grateful was our Morning Meeting. This was a gathering of the entire upper school and faculty in the theater, three times weekly. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|The Masters School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||5-12||9-12|
|Campus Size||96 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||686 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1343||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||31||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||14 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$66.7 million||$25 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$44,498||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 5||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Emma Katznelson|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Tim Custer|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||18|
|Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, European History, French Language, Latin, Music Theory, Physics C Mechanics, Spanish Language, Statistics, Studio Art, United States History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Fencing, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||42||23|
|Extracurriculars||Arts, Big Brother / Big Sister, Business Peer Tutor, Democratic Club, Model United Nations, Onyx, Outdoor Club, Rescuing Earth's Environmental Future, Residental Dorm Captains, Serenity Program, Spanish Club, Tech Production|
Club or Organization:
Animation Club, Art Guild, Classics Club, Cultural Exchange Club, Knitting Club, Latin Club, Latinos Unidos, Lunar New Year, M.I.S.H. (community service), Mandarin Peer Tutor, Masterpieces (Yearbook), Muse (dance), Music Club, Nominating Committee, One Love, Operation Smile, Panache (literary magazine), Philosophy Club, Phoenix (drama), Ropes Course, SADD, Sailboat Building, Scholars, Student Discipline Committee, The Naturals (male a cappella), Touring Talent, Urban Connection (dance), Wilderness Leadership Experience, WISE, Zetetics
|Year: 2009 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||31|
|George Washington University||24|
|Johns Hopkins University||9|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Set on 96 acres overlooking the Hudson River, The Masters School is a leading coed independent day and boarding school in New York. We welcome students in grades 5-12 and offer 5- and 7-day boarding options for upper school students. The School`s renowned seminar-style learning approach produces independent thinkers who graduate prepared for college, career and life. Students find their passion on the athletic field, in the studio and on the stage. Day and boarding students benefit from our vibrant 24/7 campus, globally diverse community, proximity to New York City, and accessible residential faculty.
- The Masters School accreditations: TABS, ISAAGNY, Middle States, NAIS, NYSAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Kara DioGuardi - Kara Elizabeth DioGuardi is an American singer-songwriter, record producer, music publisher, A&R executive, composer and TV personality. She writes music primarily in the light pop-rock, dance, and R&B genres. DioGuardi has worked with many popular a
- Nancy Kissinger - Nancy Sharon Maginnes Kissinger is a philanthropist, and the second wife of former U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger. She was a long-time aide to New York governor Nelson Rockefeller before her marriage, recommended to him in 1964 by her future
- Nia DaCosta - Nia DaCosta is a director and screenwriter. DaCosta is the first Black female director to debut a film at #1 ("Candyman") and the youngest filmmaker to direct a Marvel film.
- Alex Pall - Alex Pall is a musician best known as part of the duo The Chainsmokers.
- Marin Alsop - Marin Alsop is a conductor and violinist. She is currently music director of the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra, as well as, chief conductor of the Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra, and the Ravinia Festival.
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Masters School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 6-12, PG | 127 students 36.3 miles541 Long Beach Road
Saint James, NY 11780
(631) 686-160036.36-12, PG127
Thinking about making a major gift to your school? How about endowing a faculty chair? More here.
American boarding schools have always welcomed international students. Rigorous academic programs, extensive athletic programs, and a wide range of extracurricular activities attract students from all over the world.
Admissions to boarding school is a process with many components. The process can be confusing to parents dealing with boarding school admissions for the first time. We guide you through the process.