The Masters School
The Masters School Photo #2 - Students at The Masters School engage in a rigorous college preparatory curriculum with close contact with a dedicated faculty and opportunities to explore new horizons.
The Masters School Photo #3 - All of our classes at The Masters School are taught around Harkness tables.
The Masters School Photo #4 - Athletics are valued as a particularly important aspect of a student's education at The Masters School.
The Masters School Photo #5 - Weekend time is your time! You can sign up for a variety of trips, including: New York City attractions, kayaking, skiing, movies, shopping, Broadway Shows, and so much more...
The Masters School Photo #6 - Masters offers a dynamic Arts programs with tremendous opportunities for involvement in theater, music, dance and visual art.
- The Masters School is a coed day and boarding school that engages fifth through twelfth grade students in a rigorous college preparatory curriculum.
- Located on a majestic 96-acre campus, we are just 12 miles from Manhattan.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Brown University The Masters School can be quickly distinguished from other schools by the style of teaching that takes place. After a quick tour of classes, one will notice that there are no desks. Instead, each classroom. . .
- Boston University The Masters School prides itself on using the Harkness method of teaching. Rather than sit at individual desks, students face each other around a large table. This style prompts discussion and keeps each. . .
- Middlebury College One unique aspect of the Masters School for which I was personally very grateful was our Morning Meeting. This was a gathering of the entire upper school and faculty in the theater, three times weekly. . .
- Bentley University The Masters School's teaching technique uses Harkness tables in the classroom to promote classroom discussions which teaches the students not only listen to others opinions but also create coherent and concise ways to express their. . .
- Columbia University Masters is unique because of its wonderful relationship between students and faculty. Because many faculty members live on campus as dorm parents or faculty in residence, teachers and students are apart of the same community. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|The Masters School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||96 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||499 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||14 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$39 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||26000||$23,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / Dec. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Keith Holton|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Tim Custer|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||17|
|Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Language, English Literature, European History, French Language, Latin, Music Theory, Physics C Mechanics, Spanish Language, Statistics, Studio Art, United States History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Fencing, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||42||24|
|Extracurriculars||Community Government, Dobbs Athletic Association, Film Club, French Club, Glee Club, Gold Key Club, International Club, Model United Nations, Onyx, Outdoor Club, Rescuing Earth's Environmental Future, Spanish Club|
Club or Organization:
Animation Club, Art Guild, Classics Club, Cooking Club, Debate Club, Dobbs 16 (co-ed a cappella), Dohters (female a cappella), Environment Club, Football Club, Games Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Improv Club, Knitting Club, Latin Club, Latinos Unidos, M.I.S.H. (community service), Masterpieces (Yearbook), Muse (dance), One Love, Operation Smile, Panache (literary magazine), Philosophy Club, Phoenix (drama), SADD, The Naturals (male a cappella), Touring Talent, Tower (newspaper), Ubuntu (community service), Urban Connection (dance), Zetetics
|Year: 2009 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||31|
|George Washington University||24|
|Johns Hopkins University||9|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The Masters School celebrates active participation, deep understanding, and meaningful connection. A community of diverse individuals, we gather to learn, to strive, to dare, to do -- to be a power for good in the world.
- To Learn - We believe that students learn best when they construct their own meanings. This belief is reflected in the architecture of the classroom itself: the Harkness table gathers students and teachers to build knowledge and learn from one another. Our students practice communication and thinking skills by developing and supporting their ideas, listening carefully to others, working collaboratively, and sharing feedback. In the process, they come to understand their own approaches to learning and value those of others. This group experience fosters a sense of collective responsibility, an appreciation of others, and a feeling of accomplishment in creating something unique and profound.
- To Strive - We believe that our environment must inspire students to strive to be their best selves -- in academic, athletic, artistic, and all other endeavors. In working to achieve their goals, students learn to persevere. A community-wide focus on growth enables them to navigate challenges and become resourceful, confident, and resilient.
- To Dare - We believe that we must empower students to dare -- to wonder, to question what is known, and to explore what is unknown. Our culture of kindness and inclusivity applauds students who take risks, learn from setbacks, and gain new perspectives.
- To Do - We believe that learning is doing. We ask our students to be more than consumers of content -- we ask them to use what they learn to solve problems and design new visions for the world and their place in it. For our students, learning is experiential, and experience shapes learning.
- To Be a Power for Good in the World - When Eliza B. Masters founded The Masters School in 1877, she set out to educate each student "to be a power for good in the world." Today, we continue to hold this mission as central to everything we do. As our students contend with real-world issues both in and out of the classroom, they gain empathy, confidence, and a sense of responsibility to fulfill Miss Masters` most important mission.
- The Masters School accreditations: TABS, ISAAGNY, Middle States, NAIS, NYSAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Kara DioGuardi - Kara Elizabeth DioGuardi is an American singer-songwriter, record producer, music publisher, A&R executive, composer and TV personality. She writes music primarily in the light pop-rock, dance, and R&B genres. DioGuardi has worked with many popular a
- Nancy Kissinger - Nancy Sharon Maginnes Kissinger is a philanthropist, and the second wife of former U.S. Secretary of State Henry Kissinger. She was a long-time aide to New York governor Nelson Rockefeller before her marriage, recommended to him in 1964 by her future
- Submit Review for The Masters School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
We explain how to make going off to boarding school your child's idea.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
An education consultant knows schools. Like any professional he has vast experience in and knowledge of his chosen field.