Stoneleigh-Burnham School Photo #2 - Creative pursuits are known to strengthen intellectual achievement. Performing & visual arts are fully integrated into our curriculum and that means our girls are encouraged to express themselves creatively every day. We offer beginning through advanced levels with passionate faculty members who are established artists in their own fields.
Stoneleigh-Burnham School Photo #3 - Learning to speak with confidence and clarity lies at the heart of the Stoneleigh-Burnham experience and is the mark of a Stoneleigh-Burnham girl. From our world-class debate and public speaking program to our student government organization and our required rhetoric course, our students have unending opportunities to discover and effectively use their voices.
Stoneleigh-Burnham School Photo #4 - Stoneleigh-Burnham offers one of the premier equestrian centers among secondary schools in the UnitedStates. Our equestrian center is located on campus and every rider, from the complete novice to the advanced jumper, receives personalized instruction from experienced coaches that reflects her interests, goals, and abilities.
Founded in 1869, Stoneleigh-Burnham School is an independent boarding & day school for girls in grades 7-12 and postgraduate offering the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Program. Students participate in nationally recognized programs in equestrian, athletics, visual & performing arts, public speaking & debate and are encouraged to use their voice.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Clemson University The reason I chose my school was because I am an equestrian and the barn at my high school was at the end of the driveway. The reason I stayed was because I found a. . .
- Harvard University What makes Stoneleigh-Burnham unique is its incredibly small student body (no more than 160 students) and the fact that it's the only all-girl's school in New England to offer the International Baccalaureate program. Not. . .
- New York University Abu Dhabi SBS truly has a community; a close knit space that allows any and everyone to grow however they please. The support I found in so many of the teachers, and on so many different occasions. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Stoneleigh-Burnham||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||7-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||100 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||150 students||306 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|Number of IB Courses Offered||17||-|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
(Middle School & Upper School (Grades 7-12 & pg): $51,750)
(Middle School (Grades 7-8): $18,500 Upper School (Grades 9-12 & pg): $22,500)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Kristen A. Mariotti|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16||16|
|Sports||Ballet, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Lacrosse, Riding, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||14||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Blue Key Tourguides, Community Service Club, Debate and Public Speaking, Gender and Sexuality Alliance, Multicultural Club, Peer Tutors, Resident Assistants, Student Alumnae Association, Student Council, Students of Color Affinity Group
Arts and Music Programs:
Literary Society, Octet, Rock Band, Yearbook
- Stoneleigh-Burnham School is an academic community that inspires girls to live meaningful lives based on honor, respect, and intellectual curiosity. Each student is challenged to discover her best self and graduate with the confidence to think independently and act ethically, secure in the knowledge that her voice will be heard.
- Stoneleigh-Burnham School offers the promise of an exceptional educational and personal experience that can shape and change girls' lives in significant ways. In our admissions process, we consider each girl authentically - as a combination of her individual capabilities, opportunities, and needs.
- Stoneleigh-Burnham School seeks students who seek to learn and who value education as a lifelong process of exploration and growth.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- Stoneleigh-Burnham School accreditations: NEASC
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Stoneleigh-Burnham School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 7-12, PG| 236 students 54.4 miles230 Bushy Hill Road
6-12, PG (day)
Simsbury, CT 06070
(860) 408-420054.47-12, PG236
6-12, PG (day)
Families who live outside the United States and who are not American citizens or Permanent Residents have to deal with a couple of additional steps when thinking of sending their children to an American boarding school.
Determining which programs are 'must haves' is an important part of choosing the right boarding school for your child.
Are you wondering whether boarding school is right for your child? Answer these five questions and you will be better able to determine whether it is.