Stoneleigh-Burnham School Photo #2 - Our challenging and supportive learning environment encourages appropriate risk-taking by providing a safe space for making mistakes. Stoneleigh-Burnham School is the first and only girls' school in New England to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program.
Stoneleigh-Burnham School Photo #3 - Learning to speak with confidence and clarity lies at the heart of the Stoneleigh-Burnham experience and is the mark of a Stoneleigh-Burnham girl. From our world-class debate and public speaking program to our student government organization and our tenth grade rhetoric course, our students have unending opportunities to discover and effectively use their voices.
Stoneleigh-Burnham School Photo #4 - Stoneleigh-Burnham offers one of the premier equestrian centers among secondary schools in the U.S. Our equestrian center is located on campus and that means girls can walk from their classes and dorm rooms directly to the barn. Every rider, from the complete novice to the advanced jumper, receives personalized instruction from experienced coaches that reflects her interests, goals, and abilities.
Stoneleigh-Burnham School Photo #5 - Creative pursuits are known to strengthen intellectual achievement. When many schools require just two arts credits for four years of high school, we require two per year (and most students take three).
Stoneleigh-Burnham School Photo #6 - Athletics are embedded in our curriculum and that means your day will not end before you sweat (at least a little). We know that a healthy mind is enhanced by a healthy body. With options from varsity and junior varsity team sports to riding, dance, and even ice skating and skiing, every student is encouraged to push herself physically.
Stoneleigh-Burnham School Photo #7 - Music, visual arts, theater, and dance are fully integrated into our curriculum and that means our girls are encouraged to express themselves creatively every day. We offer beginning through advanced levels in Instrumental Performance, Studio Art, Vocal Music, Music Composition, Dance, and Theater with passionate faculty members who are established artists in their own fields.
Stoneleigh-Burnham School Photo #8 - Our progressive Middle School program is student-centered, offering integrated Humanities and Math/Science classes that prioritize the individual student's needs and growth. Arts, languages, athletics, community service, advisory, and student government are woven into the curriculum, allowing our Middle School students to cultivate an understanding of the ways knowledge connects among disciplines.
Stoneleigh-Burnham School Photo #9 - For most people, and certainly for the majority of girls, learning happens in relationships. At Stoneleigh-Burnham, our students are supportive of each other and that type of community value is palpable in our weekly Housemeeting, on our fields, and in our classrooms. We pride ourselves on providing a supportive atmosphere that promotes respect for others, lasting friendships, and unshakeable community.
Stoneleigh-Burnham School Photo #10 - Stoneleigh-Burnham Summer Programs provide a dynamic summer educational experience, full of fun and adventure. Girls come to Stoneleigh-Burnham from near and far to explore, discover and engage, while spending their summer at one of the longest-established independent girls?' schools in the country.
- Stoneleigh-Burnham School is an independent boarding/day school for girls, Grades 7 12 and PG that offers a challenging academic program in which girls share their voice and intellect.
- Located in Western Massachusetts SBS has an extensive college preparatory curriculum, that includes Honors and International Baccalaureate courses which encourage girls to develop their passion for learning.
- Students participate in nationally recognized programs in riding, athletics, visual/performing arts, public speaking and debate.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Clemson University The reason I chose my school was because I am an equestrian and the barn at my high school was at the end of the driveway. The reason I stayed was because I found a. . .
- Harvard University What makes Stoneleigh-Burnham unique is its incredibly small student body (no more than 160 students) and the fact that it's the only all-girl's school in New England to offer the International Baccalaureate program. Not. . .
- New York University Abu Dhabi SBS truly has a community; a close knit space that allows any and everyone to grow however they please. The support I found in so many of the teachers, and on so many different occasions. . .
Top 5 Placements
Stoneleigh-Burnham School is listed among the top 5 all-girls schools (out of 25 all-girls schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Stoneleigh-Burnham||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||7-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||100 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||135 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||9 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||1||17|
|Number of IB Courses Offered||17||-|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$2.8 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$35,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Kristen Mariotti|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Sharon Weyers|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||15|
|Sports||Ballet, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Figure Skating, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||12||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Blue Key, Community Service Club, Debate Club, Drama Club, Gender Sexuality Alliance (GSA), Outing Club, Peer Tutors, Students of Color Affinity Group
Arts and Music Programs:
Big Band, Chamber Music, Octet, Photography Club
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- When you attend Stoneleigh-Burnham School you accept the challenge to explore who you really are and what you really want to do with your life. Our girls learn to connect their work in the classroom to life outside the classroom, strengthening their competence as active learners. We will ask you to stretch outside your comfort zone in order to gain confidence and courage. We know that girls develop best when they are in a community that knows them and where they feel connected. In our small school you will indeed be known, and known well by your schoolmates, your teachers, coaches, and advisors. We will challenge you to be your best self, and support you every step of the way. Since 1869 our primary purpose has been to prepare girls for college and beyond, but that doesn`t happen only in the classroom. You will deepen your cultural understanding by interacting with classmates from all over the world. You will build a foundation in athletic competition and healthy exercise designed to develop young women in unique and sustainable ways. You will share your gifts with others through class and community service projects. You will explore your creative side through our programs in the visual and performing arts. You will discover how your talents make you unique. You will also discover your special place in our small community. For nearly 150 years Stoneleigh-Burnham has helped girls make connections. Our mission is "to inspire girls to pursue meaningful lives based on honor, respect, and intellectual curiosity." What was true in 1869 is true today, and will be true as we move ahead with confidence.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- Stoneleigh-Burnham School accreditations: NEASC
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Stoneleigh-Burnham School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG| 236 students 54.4 miles230 Bushy Hill Road
6-12, PG (day)
Simsbury, CT 06070
6-12, PG (day)
Your graduates can do everything on their smartphones with one click. An alumni relations app will allow them to click a gift to their alma mater. More here.
The typical three-month-long summer break gives juniors and seniors a great opportunity to explore a variety of situations and options.
Learning about a school from its website and social media pages is useful as you decide which school to choose. So is hearing what the school's alumni say about their alma mater.