Santa Catalina School
- Santa Catalina School is an independent, Catholic, day and boarding school for girls in California.
- We are located on 36 acres in beautiful Monterey, a two-hour drive south of San Francisco.
- Our students choose from variety of academic offerings, including 21 Advanced Placement (AP) classes, courses with the Online School for Girls, and our signature marine science program.
- We also offer a wide range of visual and performing arts electives, including theatre, digital media, and dance.
- Our students discover skills, talents, and interests they never knew existed within themselves whether it`s playing one of 13 interscholastic sports, or leading a club, or serving the greater community.
- Class sizes are small and are taught the way girls learn most effectively, often with open discussion and group projects.
- We seek girls with intellectual curiosity and adventurous spirit, and select students who indicate they can succeed here, not only academically, but as contributing members of our community.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Santa Catalina||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||36 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||244 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||28||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$37 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$33,425|
(Boarding average is $33,425/Day average is $21,060)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Jamie Buffington Browne '85|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Ala Milani '87|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||18|
|Courses||Art History AP, Biology AP, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry AP, English Language AP, English Literature AP, French Language AP, Human Geography AP, Latin AP, Mandarin Chinese AP, Micro- and Macroeconomics AP, Music Theory AP, Physics C AP, Physics I AP, Spanish Language AP, Spanish Literature AP, Statistics AP, Studio Art AP, US History AP, World History AP|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||16|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Diving, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||28||23|
|Extracurriculars||ABC Club, Big/Little Siblings, British Lit, Dream Theater Club, European Car Club, Fantasy Book Club, Flash Animation Club, Green Key Society, Instrumental Ensemble, Interact (Community Service), Interactive Music, It Academic- trivia questions and tournaments of wit with other local schools, Jewish Cultural Club, Junior Engineering Technical Society (JETS) Team- compete regionally and nationally in math and science, Visual Art|
Club or Organization:
Accents (Dance), Amnesty International Club, Asian Club, BURRITO (improv group), Catalinan (Yearbook), Community Service Club, ECCO (a capella), Federation of Jewish Intellectuals, French Club, Gun Club, Kickboxing
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Ballet, Literary Society and Symposium
|Year: 2011 - 2015||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of San Diego||9|
|University of San Francisco||9|
|New York University||6|
|Santa Clara University||6|
|Calif. State Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo||5|
|University of California, Santa Barbara||5|
|University of Southern California||5|
|University of California, Davis||3|
|University of California, Los Angeles||3|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Co-curricular advisory program, Journey, assists students in developing their highest personal, academic, and spiritual potential.
- Introductory and advanced level courses in art, photography, music, dance, and theatre.
- Professional-level 500-seat performing arts center
- 150-seat recital hall and dance studio
- Gymnasium, pool, tennis courts, track, and field
- Santa Catalina School accreditations: Western Association of Schools and Colleges; NAIS, CAIS, NCGS, TABS, CASE, CEEB, NACAC, WBSA, SSAT
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Dr. Cynara Coomer - A surgeon who anchors a health Segment on Fox News
- Monica C. Lozano - Publisher and CEO of the Spanish language La Opinión newspaper in Los Angeles
- Kate Mitchell - CEO and co-founder of Scale Venture Partners and chairman of the National Venture Capital Association
- Maria Imelda Marcos - Filipino congresswoman
- Wendy Clark Duffy - Associate Justice, California Court of Appeal, Sixth District
- Pamela Butler - Superior Court judge, Monterey County
- Catie Ryan - Sustainable Infrastructure Research; Analyst, Terrapin Bright Green
- Teresa Barger - CEO, Cartica Capital
- Terry Durkin Wilkinson - Council Member, Texas Health and Human Services Commission
- Abigail Folger - Civil rights activist, coffee heiress
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Santa Catalina School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12| 680 students 106 miles1500 Butterfield Road
San Anselmo, CA 94960
Social media is an essential part of a boarding school's marketing strategy
Parents considering schools should read New York Times columnist Frank Bruni's book about college admissions entitled Where You Go Is Not Who You Will Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania. Much of what he says applies in the private K-12 world.
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.