Santa Catalina School
- Santa Catalina School is an independent, Catholic, day and boarding school for girls in California.
- We are located on 36 acres in beautiful Monterey, a two-hour drive south of San Francisco.
- Our students choose from variety of academic offerings, including 21 Advanced Placement (AP) classes, courses with the Online School for Girls, and our signature marine science program.
- We also offer a wide range of visual and performing arts electives, including theatre, digital media, and dance.
- Our students discover skills, talents, and interests they never knew existed within themselves – whether it`s playing one of 13 interscholastic sports, or leading a club, or serving the greater community.
- Class sizes are small and are taught the way girls learn most effectively, often with open discussion and group projects.
- We seek girls with intellectual curiosity and adventurous spirit, and select students who indicate they can succeed here, not only academically, but as contributing members of our community.
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Santa Catalina||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||36 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||244 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1340||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$28.7 million||$19 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$22,730|
(The average boarding financial aid grant is $22730)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Jamie Buffington Browne '85|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Ala Milani '87|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||17|
|Courses||Art History AP, Biology AP, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry AP, English Language AP, English Literature AP, French Language AP, Human Geography AP, Latin AP, Mandarin Chinese AP, Micro- and Macroeconomics AP, Music Theory AP, Physics C AP, Physics I AP, Spanish Language AP, Spanish Literature AP, Statistics AP, Studio Art AP, US History AP, World History AP|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||15|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Diving, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||28||24|
|Extracurriculars||Big/Little Siblings, British Lit, Lady Rhythmics, Mosaic (Literary Magazine), National History Society, Operation Smile, Peace and Justice, Pi Math Club, R4 (Environmental Club), Santa Catalina Children's Fund, Senate (Student Council), Senior Prefects, Spiritual Life Committee, STAR, The Lamplighter (Student Newspaper)|
Club or Organization:
Accents (Dance), Amnesty International Club, Asian Club, BURRITO (improv group), Catalinan (Yearbook), Community Service Club, ECCO (a capella), French Club, Model UN, Peer Tutoring, Spanish Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Ballet, Jazz Club
|Year: 2011 - 2015||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of San Diego||9|
|University of San Francisco||9|
|New York University||6|
|Santa Clara University||6|
|Calif. State Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo||5|
|University of California, Santa Barbara||5|
|University of Southern California||5|
|University of California, Davis||3|
|University of California, Los Angeles||3|
- Co-curricular advisory program, Journey, assists students in developing their highest personal, academic, and spiritual potential.
- Introductory and advanced level courses in art, photography, music, dance, and theatre.
- Professional-level 500-seat performing arts center
- 150-seat recital hall and dance studio
- Gymnasium, pool, tennis courts, track, and field
- Santa Catalina School accreditations: Western Association of Schools and Colleges; NAIS, CAIS, NCGS, TABS, CASE, CEEB, NACAC, WBSA, SSAT
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Dr. Cynara Coomer - A surgeon who anchors a health Segment on Fox News
- Monica C. Lozano - Publisher and CEO of the Spanish language La Opinión newspaper in Los Angeles
- Kate Mitchell - CEO and co-founder of Scale Venture Partners and chairman of the National Venture Capital Association
- Maria Imelda Marcos - Filipino congresswoman
- Wendy Clark Duffy - Associate Justice, California Court of Appeal, Sixth District
- Pamela Butler - Superior Court judge, Monterey County
- Catie Ryan - Sustainable Infrastructure Research; Analyst, Terrapin Bright Green
- Teresa Barger - CEO, Cartica Capital
- Terry Durkin Wilkinson - Council Member, Texas Health and Human Services Commission
- Abigail Folger - Civil rights activist, coffee heiress
- Submit Review for Santa Catalina School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12 | 401 students 266.1 miles440 St. Katherine Dr.
La Canada Flintridge, CA 91011
- Grades: 9-12| 680 students 106 miles1500 Butterfield Road
San Anselmo, CA 94960
Learn about the Post-Graduate(PG) Year, and how it can benefit certain students.
Boarding Schools in a Minute gives an overview of independent residential schools in North America.
No shortcuts exist to filling the seats in your private school. It requires savvy, effective marketing. More here.