Santa Catalina School
- Santa Catalina School is an independent, Catholic, day and boarding school for girls in California.
- We are located on 36 acres in beautiful Monterey, a two-hour drive south of San Francisco.
- Our students choose from a variety of academic offerings, including 11 Advanced Placement (AP) classes, 16 Advanced Topics classes, and our signature marine ecology research program.
- We also offer a wide range of visual and performing arts electives, including theatre, digital media, and dance.
- Our students discover skills, talents, and interests they never knew existed within themselves whether it`s playing one of 12 interscholastic sports, or leading a club, or serving the greater community.
- Class sizes are small and are taught the way girls learn most effectively, often with open discussion and group projects.
- The Catalina experience is about asking deeper questions, taking braver chances, and making bolder mistakes-to become leaders that impact their communities and the world around them.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Santa Catalina||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||36 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||244 students||306 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||28||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$44 million||$22 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$33,425|
(Boarding average is $33,425/Day average is $21,060)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Jamie Buffington Browne '85|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Ala Milani '87|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||18|
|Courses||AT: Dramatic Literature, AT: History Research Seminars (6), AT: Marine Ecology Research 3, AT: Multivariable Calculus, AT: Physics w/ Tigonometry, AT: Physics w/Calculus, AT: Shakespeare, AT: Short Stories and Fiction, AT: The Art of Memoir, AT: The Art of Rhetoric, Biology AP, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry AP, English Literature AP, French Language AP, Mandarin Chinese AP, Music Theory AP, Spanish Language AP, Spanish Literature AP, US History AP|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||16|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Diving, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||28||24|
|Extracurriculars||ABC Club, Big/Little Siblings, British Lit, Dream Theater Club, European Car Club, Fantasy Book Club, Flash Animation Club, Green Key Society, Instrumental Ensemble, Interact (Community Service), Interactive Music, It Academic- trivia questions and tournaments of wit with other local schools, Jewish Cultural Club, Junior Engineering Technical Society (JETS) Team- compete regionally and nationally in math and science, Visual Art|
Club or Organization:
Accents (Dance), Amnesty International Club, Asian Club, BURRITO (improv group), Catalinan (Yearbook), Community Service Club, ECCO (a capella), Federation of Jewish Intellectuals, French Club, Gun Club, Kickboxing
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Ballet, Literary Society and Symposium
|Year: 2016 - 2020||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Southern California||11|
|California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo||8|
|University of Oregon||7|
|Saint Mary's College of California||6|
|Texas Christian University||5|
|University of California, Berkeley||5|
|Carnegie Mellon University||4|
|Southern Methodist University||4|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Co-curricular advisory program, Journey, assists students in developing their highest personal, academic, and spiritual potential.
- Introductory and advanced level courses in art, photography, music, dance, and theatre.
- Professional-level 500-seat performing arts center
- 150-seat recital hall and dance studio
- Gymnasium, pool, tennis courts, track, and field
- Santa Catalina School accreditations: Western Association of Schools and Colleges; NAIS, CAIS, NCGS, TABS, CASE, CEEB, NACAC, WBSA, SSAT
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Dr. Cynara Coomer - A surgeon who anchors a health Segment on Fox News
- Monica C. Lozano - Publisher and CEO of the Spanish language La Opinión newspaper in Los Angeles
- Kate Mitchell - CEO and co-founder of Scale Venture Partners and chairman of the National Venture Capital Association
- Maria Imelda Marcos - Filipino congresswoman
- Wendy Clark Duffy - Associate Justice, California Court of Appeal, Sixth District
- Pamela Butler - Superior Court judge, Monterey County
- Catie Ryan - Sustainable Infrastructure Research; Analyst, Terrapin Bright Green
- Teresa Barger - CEO, Cartica Capital
- Terry Durkin Wilkinson - Council Member, Texas Health and Human Services Commission
- Abigail Folger - Civil rights activist, coffee heiress
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Santa Catalina School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12| 680 students 106 miles1500 Butterfield Road
San Anselmo, CA 94960
Tips for athletes applying to boarding school.
This is a fictional interview with the head of a boarding school. After all, her concerns are probably yours as well.
We parents have a multi-faceted role to play in protecting our school-age children during th pandemic.