Santa Catalina School
Founded in 1950, Santa Catalina School is an independent, Catholic, day and boarding school for girls in California.
We are located on 36 acres in beautiful Monterey, a two-hour drive south of San Francisco.
Our students choose from a variety of academic offerings, including 11 Advanced Placement (AP) classes, 16 Advanced Topics (AT) classes, and our signature marine ecology research program.
We also offer a wide range of visual and performing arts electives, including theatre, digital media, photography, and dance.
Our students discover skills, talents, and interests they never knew existed within themselves-whether it's playing one of 12 interscholastic sports, or leading a club, or serving the greater community.
Class sizes are small and are taught the way girls learn most effectively, often with open discussion and group projects.
The Catalina experience is about asking deeper questions, taking braver chances, and making bolder mistakes-to become leaders that impact their communities and the world around them.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|Santa Catalina||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||36 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||209 students||306 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||28||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||11 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||27||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$44.2 million||$24 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$33,425|
(Boarding average is $33,425/Day average is $21,060)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Jamie Buffington Browne '85|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Stephanie Hill|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||27||18|
|Courses||AT: Dramatic Literature, AT: History Research Seminars (6), AT: Mandarin Chinese, AT: Marine Ecology Research 3, AT: Multivariable Calculus, AT: Physics w/ Tigonometry, AT: Physics w/Calculus, AT: Shakespeare, AT: Short Stories and Fiction, AT: The Art of Memoir, AT: The Art of Rhetoric, Biology AP, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry AP, English Literature AP, French Language AP, Mandarin Chinese AP, Music Theory AP, Spanish Language AP, Spanish Literature AP, US History AP|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||16|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||44||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Accents (Dance), Alegria, BURRITO (improv group), Catalina Children's Fund, Catalinan (Yearbook), Chemistry Club, Chinese Culture Club, ECCO (a capella), French Culture Club, Health and Wellness Committee, Jewish Cultural Club, Korean Culture Club, Lady Rhythmics (body percussion), Lamplighter (Student Newspaper), Math Tutoring Center, Mock Trial, Model United Nations, Mosaic (Literary Magazine), Movie Club, National Honor Society, Peace and Justice, R4 (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Renew), Reverb (Music Group), Robotics Team, Safe Space, Spanish Language and Culture Club, Student Senate, Students of Color Affinity Group, TEDxSantaCatalinaSchool, Thespian Society, Wildlife Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Ballet (Pointe), Choir, Contemporary Dance, Digital Media, Hip-Hop Dance, Instrumental Ensemble, Jazz Dance, Musical Theatre Dance, Photography (Darkroom), Private music lessons, Tap Dance
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Rugby Club, Strength and Conditioning
|Year: 2016 - 2020||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Southern California||11|
|California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo||8|
|University of Oregon||7|
|Saint Mary's College of California||6|
|Texas Christian University||5|
|University of California, Berkeley||5|
|Carnegie Mellon University||4|
|Southern Methodist University||4|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The co-curricular advisory program, Journey, assists students in developing their highest personal, academic, and spiritual potential.
- Introductory through advanced level courses are offered in art, photography, music, dance, and theatre.
- Performance facilities include a professional-level 500-seat performing arts center, a 150-seat recital hall, and a dance studio.
- Our signature marine ecology program is a 3-year intensive focus on marine science for a select group of students beginning in their sophomore year. Students study in and around the ocean, doing research, learning by observation, testing hypotheses, and experimenting in the bay itself.
- Our college counseling goal is to help each young woman find the right program that is the best academic, extracurricular, and personal fit for her.
- Our strong alumnae base is comprised of more than 5,000 women with 15 domestic and 3 international alumnae association chapters.
- Accreditations and memberships include Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), and the National Coalition of Girls Schools (NCGS).
- Santa Catalina School accreditations: Western Association of Schools and Colleges; NAIS, CAIS, NCGS, TABS, CASE, CEEB, NACAC, WBSA, SSAT
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Dr. Cynara Coomer - A surgeon who anchors a health Segment on Fox News
- Monica C. Lozano - Publisher and CEO of the Spanish language La Opinión newspaper in Los Angeles
- Kate Mitchell - CEO and co-founder of Scale Venture Partners and chairman of the National Venture Capital Association
- Wendy Clark Duffy - Associate Justice, California Court of Appeal, Sixth District
- Pamela Butler - Superior Court judge, Monterey County
- Catie Ryan - Sustainable Infrastructure Research; Analyst, Terrapin Bright Green
- Teresa Barger - CEO, Cartica Capital
- Terry Durkin Wilkinson - Council Member, Texas Health and Human Services Commission
- Abigail Folger - Civil rights activist, coffee heiress
Profile last updated: 02/16/2021
- Submit Review for Santa Catalina School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12| 680 students 106 miles1500 Butterfield Road
San Anselmo, CA 94960
The COVID-19 pandemic has changed just about everything in our day-to-day lives. Here's a look at how the pandemic is impacting boarding schools.
A military high school might be an option for your son or daughter. We take a look at what these schools offer.
Whether a school uses the Harkness Table™ or doesn't use the Harkness Table™ is a matter of teaching style worth exploring in some detail.