St. Bernard Preparatory School
St. Bernard Preparatory School Photo #2 - Grabbing a few minutes to laugh with classmates between classes!
St. Bernard Preparatory School Photo #3 - St. Bernard Prep School is nestled on the serene and secure grounds of St. Bernard Abbey, a monastery founded by Catholic Benedictine Monks in 1891, and grounded in the Benedictine tradition that began over 1,500 years ago, a hallmark of which is the love of learning.
St. Bernard Preparatory School Photo #4 - Academic achievement is high on the list of St. Bernard Prep priorities, with students consistently ranking above national and state averages in ACT and National Merit Exams.
St. Bernard Preparatory School Photo #5 - Band, private instrument, choral and individual vocal instruction are available to all students, grades 7-12. St. Bernard students have been selected for various State Honor Bands and competitions on a yearly basis.
St. Bernard Preparatory School Photo #6 - The arts, both visual and performing, are highly encouraged to all students. St. Bernard students have had the honor of placing as Finalists in the Congressional Art contests!
St. Bernard Preparatory School Photo #7 - St. Bernard students form life-long friendships, whether they are boarding or day students, whether they begin their career in the 7th grade or wait until their Junior year. The kids tell us, "Everyone becomes FAMILY" once you come to SBP!
St. Bernard Preparatory School Photo #8 - Posing by the Statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in front of the Administration Building is a yearly ritual for Seniors. St. Bernard students average $2.5 million in scholarship offerings each year (per 25 students) to many prestigious colleges and universities! It is common to have Gold Medal National Latin Exam Scholars & National Merit Scholars!
St. Bernard Preparatory School Photo #9 - About 20 percent of the student body of St. Bernard are international students, so Bernardians have the chance not only to form unique life-long friendships, but also experience the world community. As one student put it, "I never thought my best friend would be Korean!"
St. Bernard Preparatory School Photo #10 - Athletically, St. Bernard students, male and female, may choose to participate in a variety of sports: Cross Country, Track & Field, Swimming, Soccer, Softball, Basketball, Volleyball, Tennis, Baseball and others. Cheerleading is also available, and students are encouraged to participate in more than just one sport/activity.
- St. Bernard Preparatory School strives to create an environment that encourages student growth in self-discipline, respect for self and others, and mature social interaction.
- The college preparatory curriculum is based on the liberal arts: languages and literature, history, mathematics, science, theology and the arts.
- This program emphasizes the ability to think, to read with understanding, to express oneself with precision and grace, and to solve problems creatively.
- Courses not only provide the transmission and reception of facts, they encourage the development of mental and physical discipline, of breadth and depth of view, of responsible thought and action, and of critical thinking.
- The school motto, Corpus, Mens, Spiritus (Body, Mind, Spirit) indicates the mission of St. Bernard Preparatory: "St. Bernard Preparatory School is committed to fully engaging students in learning for the whole person: body, mind and spirit.
- St. Bernard pursues this mission through the search for truth and the striving for goodness in the classroom, through participation in religious, social and athletic events, and by involvement in mentoring and community service activities.
- The school's "House System" organizes the student body into "houses" of less than 20 students, supervised by teachers and staff members.
- This results in integration of the student body, student leadership skills, and personal connection with faculty and staff.
- Founded and administered by the Benedictine Monks of St. Bernard Abbey, the school stands on 1,500 years of monastic history and experience of the love for learning.
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|St. Bernard||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||900 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||215 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1800||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||10||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
(* Includes all fees, uniforms excepted.)
(* Includes all fees, uniforms excepted.)
|Tuition international students||$42,175||$48,100|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Brendan Flannery|
St. Bernard Preparatory School admits students who seek to prepare for college and university studies and who are academically capable of excelling through standard college prep instructional and testing methods. The school endeavors to challenge each student to academic excellence through a rigorous and reasonablecollege preparatory program, including AP courses and dual-enrollment in college courses.
- St. Bernard averages over$3 million in scholarships per 25 graduates. Over $5 million in 2014, 24 graduates.
- St. Bernard graduates are accepted to numerous prestigious colleges and universities.
- ACT and SAT scores consistently rank well above the national average.
- Cultural diversity is promoted through our international student population.
- Foreign travel opportunities are available to students.
- Highly-educated and experienced faculty of Monks and Lay personnel.
- Extensive athletics program as well as a full spectrum of visual and performing arts.
- Safe, secure environment on the picturesque 900 acres of St. Bernard Abbey.
- Located in North Alabama in the quaint community of Cullman (originally founded by German immigrants in 1877),an hour drivenorth of Birmingham,an hoursouth of Huntsville, two hours from Nashville, TN,from three hours from Atlanta, GA.
- Residential life that promotes growth, maturity and the self-knowledge that comes through a healthy measure of independence and self-reliance.
- The school's "House System" organizes the student body into "houses" of less than 20 students, supervised by teachers and staff members. This results in integration of the student body, student leadership skills, and personal connection with faculty and staff.
- School accreditations: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, The Association of Boarding Schools, Secondary Schools Admissions Test Board
- Submit Review for St. Bernard Preparatory School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 7-12 | 386 students 308.2 miles304 S. Beach Blvd.
Bay St. Louis, MS 39520
- Grades: 9-12 | 220 students 589.9 miles1000 Green St.
Atchison, KS 66002
September 17, 2018
We explain how to make going off to boarding school your child's idea.
August 28, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
August 14, 2018
An education consultant knows schools. Like any professional he has vast experience in and knowledge of his chosen field.