Mercersburg Academy - Review #5
About the Author:
|College Enrolled||Tufts University|
|Home Town, State (Country)||Connecticut, none|
|Years Attended Boarding School||3|
|Activities During Boarding School||I participated in the band, the musical and some sports. The travelling time for sports is far because we are pretty far from other boarding schools. The music program is pretty good, and we have some super talented students in dance and theatre. School is very supportive to the programs and they are well-funded.|
1.) What do you think makes your school unique relative to other boarding schools?
We have sit-down meals everyday of the weekday. The tables rotate every two weeks so you really get to know different faculties and students. We also have Irving-Marshall week, so students are divided into two societies and compete in sports and a spoken word event at the end of winter semester. A lot of school spirit and really great event.
2.) What was the best thing that happened to you in boarding school?
I think boarding school really allow me to try things outside of my comfort zone and I grew up a lot as a person and picked up new interests and passions. I am a lot more certain of what I want when I graduated than when I started. I was shy when I first came in but I gained a lot more confidence.
3.) What might you have done differently during your boarding school experience?
I would advise you to really try new things and challenge yourself. Do not waste your time on gossips and don't care too much for what people think. In the end it is your personal growth that matters.
4.) What did you like most about your school?
I like the faculty the most. They are really the nicest persons that you will meet, and they have helped me so much in finding my path and grow up. I miss them so much.
5.) Do you have any final words of wisdom for visiting or incoming students to your school?
Try MOE at least once in your time at Mercersburg. It is amazing.
1.) Describe the academics at your school - what did you like most about it?
I like the teacher-student relationship. All the teachers are really approachable and give really good guidance both inside and outside of the classrooms. The history department is very strong, and the teachers really care about the student's well being.
1.) Describe the athletics at your school - what did you like most about it?
I didn't participate but the outdoor program is bomb, there are skiing, hiking, rock-climbing, biking and many other options. Since we are pretty rural, you do venture out into the wild, which is a rare experience.
1.) Describe the extracurriculars offered at your school - what did you like most about it?
I like the variety, especially the outdoor program. You really get to try something new that you haven't done before. The club and organizations are a bit lacking, because most clubs are only in names and not that active, but that is changing from what I heard.
1.) Describe the dorm life in your school - what did you like most about it?
The teachers live in the dorm with students. You get really close with people in your dorm because you see them all the time. The dorm rules are pretty strict but still very reasonable. We have a zero-tolerance policy so drugs and alcohol are strictly banned.
1.) Describe the school's town and surrounding area.
The town is tiny and there is not much to it. There are a couple restaurants in town but generally not much variety besides greesy pizza and fake Chinese food.
2.) Describe the social life at your school - what did you like most about it?
Everybody knows everybody, which can be a plus or minus depending on what you are looking for. It feels like a small liberal art college because you develop some very deep friendships.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Duke University Opportunity and Community were the two buzzwords that largely encompass my Mercersburg experience. What lies between these two speaks just as loudly. There is a certain "presence of the present" that exists at Mercersburg that. . .
- Georgetown University Building a sense of community is definitely a theme throughout boarding schools, but how well Mercersburg cultivates community sets it apart. Students are required to participate in an afterschool activity every term and since the. . .
- Johns Hopkins University Mercersburg Academy is certainly known for its beautiful, spacious campus that rivals no other. The picturesque landscape is often seen bustling with students during the early hours of the day and scattered with a few. . .
- College of William and Mary One of the most defining aspects of Mercersburg Academy, and one of the most significant parts of the school in my experience is the number of ways they encourage their students to either travel or. . .
- Tufts University We have sit-down meals everyday of the weekday. The tables rotate every two weeks so you really get to know different faculties and students. We also have Irving-Marshall week, so students are divided into two. . .
April 20, 2018
Actually, there is no secret to getting your child into boarding school. Just a lot of hard work and a heavy commitment of time.
March 22, 2018
Some cynics think single-sex education is old-fashioned. The Kiski School shows how educating boys in a single-sex school is successful.
March 08, 2018
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.