Idyllwild Arts Academy - Review #3
About the Author:
|College Enrolled||Tufts University|
|Home Town, State (Country)||Idyllwild, CA|
|Years Attended Boarding School||4|
|Activities During Boarding School||We spend all afternoon, every afternoon, in arts classes. I was part of those in my major (visual arts) for 4 years, as well as being a Prefect and part of student government.|
1.) What do you think makes your school unique relative to other boarding schools?
The close student/teacher relationships Natural environment to hike and live in Arts focus
2.) What was the best thing that happened to you in boarding school?
I grew so much as an artist and as a person. I learned how to navigate the art world, I took experiences from my classes, and had the best possible high school experience socially. It was hard, but so so worth it.
3.) What might you have done differently during your boarding school experience?
Put yourself out there!! Being a part of the IAA community is what makes the long hours worth it.
4.) What did you like most about your school?
The loving, wacky, bizarre, loud, wonderful community of students and teachers.
5.) Do you have any final words of wisdom for visiting or incoming students to your school?
Hiking to the point is the best place on the mountain to watch the sunset.
1.) Describe the academics at your school - what did you like most about it?
The close relationship between teachers and students was so valuable to me. Being in small classes and on a first name basis with the teacher really facilitated deep discussions and interesting projects. The workload, especially for Honors classes, was definitely challenging, but provided a lot of growth for me.
1.) Describe the arts program at your school - what did you like most about it?
Our whole school revolves around the arts. Every student spends up to 9 hours a day on their particular art form, putting on professional-grade productions and curating gallery shows. The artists here grow so much on their time through the intense focus and classes in Visual Arts, Dance, Music, Theater, Creative Writing, and Fashion.
1.) Describe the school's town and surrounding area.
I have lived in Idyllwild my whole life, and it is like no other place. It is very quirky, very small, and very beautiful.
2.) Describe the social life at your school - what did you like most about it?
The community is very tight-knit and very supportive. Everyone goes to each other's shows and spends so much time together, it would be very hard to feel isolated. I am grateful to have become close with so many artists from all over the world, and I love the people there dearly.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Chapman University Living on campus surrounds you with your education and makes you think about it in the context of your life in a more efficient way than traditional high school. The arts focus offers more connection. . .
- I will attend the University of British Columbia. The school is highly international, so my closest friends were from all over the world. The diversity created a really unique class dynamic with perspectives I never would've thought of. The arts focus was also. . .
- Tufts University The close student/teacher relationships Natural environment to hike and live in Arts focus . . .
- Dominican University of California The fact that Idyllwild Arts is located in the middle of mountain I think it is the most unique aspect about this school. The teachers plus the environment make a perfect combination for an artist. . .
- Hiram College Idyllwild Arts Academy is truly a unique experience. There are just over 300 students, so your friends and even acquaintances really become like family. I personally really like the way that the schedule works. Being. . .
January 16, 2018
Several things make boarding school special. The learning, the community, the sports. All these and more.
January 16, 2018
Sending your son or daughter to a progressive school sounds like a real leap of faith. It is, that is, until you look more closely at the kind of education your child will receive. Then you will understand the idealism in action which progressive schools embody.
January 16, 2018
The ideas and suggestions offered here are aimed at the small to medium-sized schools which have limited marketing resources.