Chatham, VA 24531
Upcoming Events and News
- Open House - Sat., October 04, 2014 - get more information!
- Open House - Sat., November 08, 2014 - get more information!
- Open House - Sat., January 10, 2015 - get more information!
- Open House - Sat., February 14, 2015 - get more information!
- Open House - Sat., March 21, 2015 - get more information!
- Open House - Sat., April 11, 2015 - get more information!
- Open House - Sat., May 02, 2015 - get more information!
Dr. Steve Griffin joins Hargrave - 06/23/2014 -
Hargrave Military Academy welcomes the Dr. Steve Griffin, a 2013/2014 Albert Einstein Fellow and the Academy’s Science Department Chairman for the 2014/2015 Academic year.
Dr. Griffin has spent the last year working with the National ...more
Top 10 Placements:
Listed among the top 10 schools with 200-400 students (out of 119 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms
2014 School Data
|Hargrave Military||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||7-12, PG||8-12|
|Campus Size||214 acres||124 acres|
|Enrollment||210 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color||22%||18%|
|% International Students||16%||20%|
|% Students Boarding||93%||67%|
|Average SAT Score||1515||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1370 - 1680||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Less than once a month||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:12||1:7|
|# of AP/Advanced Courses Offered||9||15|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||65%||66%|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$3 million||$15 million|
|Tuition international students||$34,650||$44,500|
|% Students on Financial Aid||33%||35%|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$8,000||$19,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Thomas Messinger|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP/Advanced Courses Offered||9||15|
|AP Biology||AP Statistics|
|Critical Reading and Writing (CRW)||Government|
|Spanish V AP|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Drill Team, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Marksmanship, Riflery, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||28||24|
|Extracurriculars||Battalion Staff, Boy Scouts of America, Camden Rifles, Choir, Colin Powell Leadership Program, Color Guard, Computer Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, French Club, High Adventure Program, Highlanders (Drum and Bagpipes), Historical Movie Club, HMA Players (Drama), Honor Council, International Club, Junior Beta Club (7th & 8th Grade), Literary Magazine, Marching Band, National Beta Club, Paintball Club, Photography Club, Presidential Physical Fitness, Sabre Club (Seniors), Spanish Club, Speech and Debate Team,|
|Year: 2000-2010||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University (Virginia Tech)||37|
|University of North Carolina at Charlotte||16|
|North Carolina State University (NC State)||15|
|East Tennessee State University||14|
|Virginia Military Institute (VMI)||14|
|Virginia Commonwealth University||10|
- School accreditations: Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS); Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS): National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS); The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Ward Burton '82 - 2002 Daytona 500 Champion; NASCAR Winston Cup Driver
- Walter B. Jones '61 - Congressman (R), 3rd District North Carolina
- Dr. Art Chandler, Jr. '49 - Ophthalmologist; Voice of Duke Basketball
- MG William Caldwell, IV '72 - Major General, USA - As seen commanding in Iraq
- Larry Brown '59 - Former NBA Detroit Pistons Head Coach
- Torry Holt '95 - NFL Player - St. Louis Rams
- R. Kirk Landon '46 - Former CEO American Bankers Insurance Corp.
- David West '98 - NBA Player - New Orleans Jazz
- Scott Street '61 - Attorney - Former president of the Virginia Bar Assosciation
- Joshua Howard '99 - NBA Player - Dallas Mavericks