Chatham, VA 24531
Upcoming Events and News
- Reception - Sat., August 09, 2014 - get more information!
Dr. Steve Griffin joins Hargrave - 06/23/2014 -
Hargrave Military Academy welcomes the Dr. Steve Griffin, a 2013/2014 Albert Einstein Fellow and the Academy’s Science Department Chairman for the 2014/2015 Academic year.
Dr. Griffin has spent the last year working with the National ...more
Top 10 Placements:
Listed among the top 10 schools with 200-400 students (out of 121 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms
2013 School Data
|Hargrave Military||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||7-12, PG||8-12|
|Campus Size||214 acres||124 acres|
|Enrollment||210 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color||22%||18%|
|% International Students||16%||20%|
|% Students Boarding||93%||67%|
|Average SAT Score||1515||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1370 - 1680||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Acadmics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Less than once a month||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:12||1:7|
|# of AP/Advanced Courses Offered||9||15|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||65%||65%|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$3 million||$14 million|
|Tuition international students||$34,650||$44,500|
|% Students on Financial Aid||33%||35%|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$8,000||$19,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Thomas Messinger|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP/Advanced Courses Offered||9||15|
|AP Biology||AP Statistics|
|Critical Reading and Writing (CRW)||Government|
|Spanish V AP|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||13|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Drill Team, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Marksmanship, Riflery, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||28||24|
|Extracurriculars||Battalion Staff, Boy Scouts of America, Camden Rifles, Choir, Colin Powell Leadership Program, Color Guard, Computer Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, French Club, High Adventure Program, Highlanders (Drum and Bagpipes), Historical Movie Club, HMA Players (Drama), Honor Council, International Club, Junior Beta Club (7th & 8th Grade), Literary Magazine, Marching Band, National Beta Club, Paintball Club, Photography Club, Presidential Physical Fitness, Sabre Club (Seniors), Spanish Club, Speech and Debate Team,|
|Year: 2000-2010||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University (Virginia Tech)||37|
|University of North Carolina at Charlotte||16|
|North Carolina State University (NC State)||15|
|East Tennessee State University||14|
|Virginia Military Institute (VMI)||14|
|Virginia Commonwealth University||10|
- Hargrave supports an independent military program which is NOT affiliated with the U.S. Armed Forces, or is supported by Federal, state and local governments. School focus is on college acceptance and leadership.
- Hargrave endeavors to maintain a safe, secure learning environment for both internal and external threats to our Corps of Cadets.
- Nine courses offered at the college level, either through AP or duel enrollment
- SAT average based on 100% of our graduating seniors. Each year, 100% of our senior class takes the SAT. In most schools, not all students are required to take the SAT.
- Median SAT for the Class of 2008: 1550
- Hargrave's SAT mean and median scores based on the entire senior class, which lowers our score compared to other schools. Comparing schools strictly based on SAT scores is not a true indicator of any school's strength.
- 99 to 100% college acceptance rate for all seniors since 2003.
- Hargrave's Gen. Colin Powell Center for Leadership and Ethics adds a non-ROTC classroom element to the Academy's overall leadership training, teaching that good leadership is a learned.
- Nationally ranked Post-Graduate basketball and football programs, both often considered #1 by sports news media.
- Hargrave's 'How to Study' program is taught and used by students daily.
- Hargrave's reading program helps build student comprehension for better academic success in both high school and college.
- School accreditations: Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS); Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS): National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS); The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Ward Burton '82 - 2002 Daytona 500 Champion; NASCAR Winston Cup Driver
- Walter B. Jones '61 - Congressman (R), 3rd District North Carolina
- Dr. Art Chandler, Jr. '49 - Ophthalmologist; Voice of Duke Basketball
- MG William Caldwell, IV '72 - Major General, USA - As seen commanding in Iraq
- Larry Brown '59 - Former NBA Detroit Pistons Head Coach
- Torry Holt '95 - NFL Player - St. Louis Rams
- R. Kirk Landon '46 - Former CEO American Bankers Insurance Corp.
- David West '98 - NBA Player - New Orleans Jazz
- Scott Street '61 - Attorney - Former president of the Virginia Bar Assosciation
- Joshua Howard '99 - NBA Player - Dallas Mavericks
- School Location Miles Students Grades
800 Chatham Hall Circle
Chatham, VA, 24531
434-432-56130.7 mi | 141 students | Gr. 9-12
PO Box 755
Halifax, VA, 24558
434-476-240626.5 mi | 100 students | Gr. 9-12
LynchburgVirginia Episcopal School
400 V.E.S. Road
Lynchburg, VA, 24503
434-385-360744.5 mi | 215 students | Gr. 9-12