Top 5 Placements: Military Schools
Listed among the top 5 military schools (out of 23 military schools) for:
|Definition of Terms
| 2012 School Data
Boarding School Avg.
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered.||7-12, PG||7-12|
|Support for ADD/ADHD Students||No||No|
|Campus Size||214 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||315 students||300 students|
|Percent Students of Color||22%||18%|
|Percent International Students||12%||19%|
|Percent Students Boarding||93%||67%|
|Average SAT Score||1515||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1370 - 1680||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
|Academics and Faculty|
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Less than once a month||Less than once a month|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:12||1:7|
|# of AP/Advanced Courses Offered||9||14|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||65%||65%|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$3 million||$14 million|
|Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students)||$29,900||$45,000|
|Yearly Tuition (Day Students)||$12,900||$24,600|
|Tuition international students||$33,750||$42,750|
|Percent Students on Financial Aid||33%||33%|
|Average Financial Aid Grant||$8,000||$19,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Amy Walker|
AP / Advanced Courses:
|# of AP/Advanced Courses Offered||9||14|
|AP Biology||AP Statistics|
|Critical Reading and Writing (CRW)||Government|
|Spanish V AP|
|Total Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||13|
|Cross Country||Drill Team|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||28||23|
|Battalion Staff||Boy Scouts of America|
|Colin Powell Leadership Program||Color Guard|
|Computer Club||Fellowship of Christian Athletes|
|French Club||High Adventure Program|
|Highlanders (Drum and Bagpipes)||Historical Movie Club|
|HMA Players (Drama)||Honor Council|
|International Club||Junior Beta Club (7th & 8th Grade)|
|Literary Magazine||Marching Band|
|National Beta Club||Paintball Club|
|Photography Club||Presidential Physical Fitness|
|Sabre Club (Seniors)||Spanish Club|
|Speech and Debate Team||USA Swimming|
10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)
|Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University (Virginia Tech)||37|
|University of North Carolina at Charlotte||16|
|North Carolina State University (NC State)||15|
|East Tennessee State University||14|
|Virginia Military Institute (VMI)||14|
|Virginia Commonwealth University||10|
- Hargrave supports an independent military program which is NOT affiliated with the U.S. Armed Forces, or is supported by Federal, state and local governments. School focus is on college acceptance and leadership.
- Hargrave endeavors to maintain a safe, secure learning environment for both internal and external threats to our Corps of Cadets.
- Nine courses offered at the college level, either through AP or duel enrollment
- SAT average based on 100% of our graduating seniors. Each year, 100% of our senior class takes the SAT. In most schools, not all students are required to take the SAT.
- Median SAT for the Class of 2008: 1550
- Hargrave's SAT mean and median scores based on the entire senior class, which lowers our score compared to other schools. Comparing schools strictly based on SAT scores is not a true indicator of any school's strength.
- 99 to 100% college acceptance rate for all seniors since 2003.
- Hargrave's Gen. Colin Powell Center for Leadership and Ethics adds a non-ROTC classroom element to the Academy's overall leadership training, teaching that good leadership is a learned.
- Nationally ranked Post-Graduate basketball and football programs, both often considered #1 by sports news media.
- Hargrave's 'How to Study' program is taught and used by students daily.
- Hargrave's reading program helps build student comprehension for better academic success in both high school and college.
- School accreditations: Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS); Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS): National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS); The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Ward Burton '82 - 2002 Daytona 500 Champion; NASCAR Winston Cup Driver
- Walter B. Jones '61 - Congressman (R), 3rd District North Carolina
- Dr. Art Chandler, Jr. '49 - Ophthalmologist; Voice of Duke Basketball
- MG William Caldwell, IV '72 - Major General, USA - As seen commanding in Iraq
- Larry Brown '59 - Former NBA Detroit Pistons Head Coach
- Torry Holt '95 - NFL Player - St. Louis Rams
- R. Kirk Landon '46 - Former CEO American Bankers Insurance Corp.
- David West '98 - NBA Player - New Orleans Jazz
- Scott Street '61 - Attorney - Former president of the Virginia Bar Assosciation
- Joshua Howard '99 - NBA Player - Dallas Mavericks
Gr. 9-12 | All-Girls | 0.7 mi. away
Gr. 9-12 | Co-Ed | 26.5 mi. away
Gr. 9-12 | Co-Ed | 44.5 mi. away
Gr. 9-12 | All-Girls | 69.2 mi. away
Gr. 9-12 | All-Girls | 83.7 mi. away