Malvern, PA 19355
Upcoming Events and News
Top 20 Placements:
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 338 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms
2014 School Data
|The Phelps School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Preparatory||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||6-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||70 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||110 students||295 students|
|% International Students||35%||20%|
|% Students Boarding||70%||68%|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
(Khaki pants and jacket)
|Average Class Size||7 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|# of AP/Advanced Courses Offered||14||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||61%||66%|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$1 million||$16 million|
|Tuition international students||$46,800||$45,900|
|% Students on Financial Aid||40%||35%|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$5,000||$20,250|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Ira Miles|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Lisa Ballard|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP/Advanced Courses Offered||14||16|
|Courses||AB Calculus (AP), BC Calculus (AP), Biology (AP), Chemistry (AP), English Language and Composition (AP), English Literature and Composition (AP), Environmental Science (AP), Physics (AP), Psychology (AP), Spanish (AP), Statistics (AP), U.S. Government & Politics (AP), U.S. History (AP), World History (AP)|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||8||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||9||23|
|Extracurriculars||Film Appreciation, Fitness, Gardening, Indoor Sports, Music , National Honors Society, Rocketry, Studio Arts, Yearbook|
|Year: 2013-2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Pennsylvania State University||4|
|Michigan State University||3|
|Boise State University||1|
|High Point University||1|
|University of Connecticut||1|
|Virginia Commonwealth University||1|
|West Virginia University||1|
The Phelps School, located in Malvern, Pennsylvania, is a private, nonsectarion boarding and day school for boys in grades six through 12 and a postgraduate year. Founded in 1946 by Dr. Norman T. Phelps, it upholds its original credo of "Dedication to the Individual Boy." True to this philosophy, The Phelps School is committed to providing a hightly customized educational experience that empowers each student to reach his fullest potential academically, personally and socially. The school serves a diverse population of aproximately 110 students annually, of which 35 percent are international students and 30 are day students.
- With approximately 110 students enolled our average class size of seven. The Phelps School offers the ideal setting for boys who thrive in a small, nurturing and structured environment.
- Learning at the Phelps School is peronalized for each student and ranges from college-level Advanced Placement (AP) courses for academically gifted students to comprehensive Academic Support Program (ASP) for students with learning differences.
- The Phelps School is non to take the holistic approach to the educational experience, fostering the growth intellectual knowledge, social awareness, work ethic and commitment to service to develop young men of character and integrity.
- The staff and the faculty at The Phelps School are deeply invested in the wellbeing of each student and his ability to achieve individual success.
- Our student population is highly diverse, uniting students from different cultures and backgrounds and with varying skill-sets.
- The small size of The Phelps School provides every student with numerous opportunities to excel and flourish in academics, athletics and leadership.
- As an all boys school, The Phelps School understands boys and their needs.
- The Phelps school transforms lives by empowering students to reach their highest potential. We prepare students for college and for life.
- LD types supported: Our comprehensive Academic Support Program is a solid component of our college-preparatory program.
- School accreditations: Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), International Boys' School Coalition (IBSC)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Exton, PA1001 East Lincoln Highway
Exton, PA 19341
610-363-53474.2 mi | Gr. 8-12 | 190 students
West Chester, PA975 Westtown Rd
West Chester, PA 19382
610-399-79005.4 mi | Gr. Pre-K-12 | 381 students
Wayne, PA1001 Eagle Road
Wayne, PA 19087
610-989-14907.1 mi | Gr. 6-12 | 300 students
Pottstown, PA717 East High Street
Pottstown, PA 19464
(610) 326-100016.5 mi | Gr. 9-12 | 515 students
Pennsburg, PA200 Seminary Street
Pennsburg, PA 18073
215-679-951125.9 mi | Gr. 6-12 | 336 students