Portsmouth, RI 02871
|Definition of Terms
2014 School Data
|Portsmouth Abbey||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Preparatory||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||525 acres||124 acres|
|Enrollment||340 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color||12%||18%|
|% Students Boarding||70%||67%|
|Average SAT Score||1844||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1650 - 2020||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP/Advanced Courses Offered||17||15|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||65%||66%|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$41 million||$15 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||36%||35%|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$29,350||$19,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||62%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Meghan Fonts|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Steve Pietraszek|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP/Advanced Courses Offered||17||15|
|Calculus AB||Calculus BC|
|Chemistry||Computer Science A|
|English Language and Composition||European History|
|French Language and Culture||Latin|
|Music Theory||Physics C|
|Spanish Language and Culture||Spanish Literature and Culture|
|Statistics||United States History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||32||24|
|Extracurriculars||A Flats, girls' a capella group, Abbey Singers, Appalachia Service Project, Astronomy Club, Chinese Culture Club, Christian Community Service, Classics Club, Cultural Awareness at Portsmouth, CAAP, Debate Club, G Sharps, boys' a capella group, Horseback riding, Jazz Ensemble, March for Life Group, Model United Nations, Movie Club, New England Math League, Peer Tutors, Ping Pong Club, Pro Deo, orchestra, Radio station, WJHD, Red Key, campus tour guides, Saint Gregory's Alms, Scriptorium, scholarly journal, Social Committee, Spanish Club,|
|Year: 2013||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|College of the Holy Cross||3|
|University of Notre Dame||3|
|The George Washington University||2|
|University of Michigan||2|
|University of Pennsylvania||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- School accreditations: NEASC, TABS, NAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Christopher Buckley - Political sairist and author; former managing edior of Esquire Magazine; has written for The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Time, The Atlantic Montly, Smithsonian, Vanity Fair, and The New Yorker.
- John E. Pepper - Former Director of The Walt Disney Company and former CEO and chairman of the executive committee of the Board of Directors of The Procter & Gamble Company.
- Robert F. Kennedy - U.S. Senator from New York; U.S. Attorney General.
- Edward M. Kennedy - U.S. Senator from Massachusetts.
- Peter M. Flanigan - Assistant to President Richard Nixon.
- Benedict Fitzgerald - American screenwriter - In Cold Blood, Wise Blood; co-wrote Aramaic, Hebrew, and Latin screenplay for The Passion of the Christ.
- Charlie Day - Writer, actor and executive producer of the television comedy It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia; appeared in the movies Horrible Bosses, Going the Distance, and Pacific Rim; appeared in the tv shows Third Watch, Law&Order, Reno911!, and hosted SNL.
- William Ruckelshaus - first Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency; former FBI director and U.S. Deputy Attorney General.
- E.J. Dionne - Journalist, political commentator, and op-ed columnist for The Washington Post; Portsmouth's first Rhodes Scholar; University Professor at Georgetown University.
- Naseemah Mohamed - A 2013 Rhodes Scholar and a 2012 graduate of Harvard University; former president of the Harvard African Student Association and secretary for the Youth Alliance Leadership and Development in Africa group; founded the Ziolonge Arts-Literacy Project.
- School Location Miles Students Grades
NewportSt. George's School
PO Box 1910
Newport, RI, 02840
401-842-66007.1 mi | 370 students | Gr. 9-12
BarringtonSt. Andrew's School
63 Federal Road
Barrington, RI, 02806
401-246-123011.6 mi | 225 students | Gr. 6-12
333 Ocean Road
Narragansett, RI, 02882
401-788-080020.4 mi | 53 students | Gr. 7-12
66 Front Street
Marion, MA, 02738
(508)291-830026.5 mi | 514 students | Gr. 9-12
ThompsonMarianapolis Preparatory School
26 Chase Road
Thompson, CT, 06277
860 923 924540.5 mi | 391 students | Gr. 9-12