Blair Academy - Review #4
About the Author:
|College Enrolled||Bowdoin college|
|Home Town, State||Hopatcong, NJ|
|Years Attended Boarding School||4|
|Activities During Boarding School||Field hockey Basketball Lacrosse|
1.) What do you think makes your school unique relative to other boarding schools?
Blair isn't unique among boarding schools, and anyone who went to a mainstream boarding school who tries to tell you that theirs is different is full of it. What's unique about their school is that it's a boarding school and it's a privilege to study and live amongst your peers and teachers on beautiful campuses. The same is true for Blair and I am so grateful for the opportunity to have studied at such a beautiful school, to have competed with such great athletes, and to have learned from such wonderful teachers.
2.) What was the best thing that happened to you in boarding school?
Everything. Boarding school was such a privilege and a wonderful experience that I'll always be grateful for. I met lifelong friends and learned lifelong lessons and got into a college with peers who were far beyond my intellectual level.
3.) What might you have done differently during your boarding school experience?
Drink it in.
4.) What did you like most about your school?
That it was not affected. It was every person's boarding school. You didn't have to look any one way to fit in there.
5.) Do you have any final words of wisdom for visiting or incoming students to your school?
West hall, all the way.
1.) Describe the academics at your school - what did you like most about it?
I learned. I learned how to learn and I learned how to live. I found out that I was really smart but I had to be pushed, and I was pushed. I got feedback, early and often and the message was received - I was smart but lazy and I needed to work hard to be successful. No message has ever had a more life changing impact.
1.) Describe the athletics at your school - what did you like most about it?
I was an athlete. 3 seasons. I had some coaches who were life changing and some who just coached games. Sports were a big part of my high school experience and I'm not sure what it would have been like if I hadn't been involved, although I know other people were more involved in things like the arts and theater. I loved being an athlete. There was never a question about it.
1.) Describe the arts program at your school - what did you like most about it?
I really came into my own with visual arts my senior year. There were lots of opportunities to explore the arts, you just had to choose them. At Blair, I took theater, I played around in the ceramics studio, and I really embraced drawing.
1.) Describe the school's town and surrounding area.
There's not much opportunity to take advantage of town, at least there wasn't in my experience. But it is a cute town and if you have the opportunity to get off campus, blairs town is beautiful and the Delaware water gap is gorgeous.
2.) Describe the social life at your school - what did you like most about it?
Again, it's all about maximizing your opportunities. With all of the time that is scheduled for classes, sports, formal dinners and study halls, you have to make the most of your free time.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Columbia University in the City of New York Consistent with its relatively small student body as compared to many other boarding schools, Blair is a place that knows the value of both its community and the relationships cultivated therein. From the moment I. . .
- Williams College The amazing student-faculty relationships definitely made Blair special for me; the faculty are not only your teachers but also your coaches and mentors and dorm-parents, and all of that inter-relatedness allows the students and faculty. . .
- Pace University (Undergrad), Trinity College Dublin (Masters) Blair offers a tremendous student to teacher ratio, large variety of classes offered, and fantastic campus set up. . .
- Bowdoin college Blair isn't unique among boarding schools, and anyone who went to a mainstream boarding school who tries to tell you that theirs is different is full of it. What's unique about their school is that. . .
- University of Pennsylvania Blair is an extroardinarily close community of students, faculty and staff. My political science teacher was my hockey coach and my dorm parent. My college counselor still looks me up when he visits. . .
What makes some schools really better than others? What makes them the best schools?
"I'm wasting my time thinking about boarding school." No, you're not. Here's why.
We explain how to make going off to boarding school your child's idea.