Blair Academy - Review #3
About the Author:
|College Enrolled||Pace University (Undergrad), Trinity College Dublin (Masters)|
|Home Town, State (Country)||New York, NY|
|Years Attended Boarding School||4|
|Activities During Boarding School||Crew, lacrosse, squash, band, orchestra, jazz band, pit band. Was Co-Captain of the Squash team.|
1.) What do you think makes your school unique relative to other boarding schools?
Blair offers a tremendous student to teacher ratio, large variety of classes offered, and fantastic campus set up
2.) What was the best thing that happened to you in boarding school?
Blair definitely helped me create the work ethic that I still have today. The tight schedule at Blair forces the student to learn how to find work life balance. Furthermore, I still keep in contact with the friends I made while at school.
3.) What might you have done differently during your boarding school experience?
I would want to be more involved!
4.) What did you like most about your school?
Amazing eduction, fantastic experience, unforgettable memories.
5.) Do you have any final words of wisdom for visiting or incoming students to your school?
Order a bodini!
1.) Describe the academics at your school - what did you like most about it?
The best thing about academics at Blair is that the academic curriculum is challenging and rewarding. The school boasts an incredible amount of AP classes, along with a large variety of non-AP classes. The student truly has many opportunities to make their learning unique to him or her. Every professor that I had was talented, unique, and was available to answer any questions that I had.
1.) Describe the athletics at your school - what did you like most about it?
There is a mandatory participation in two team sports Freshman through Junior year, however, participating in sports allowed me to make new friends. Furthermore, I never picked up a squash racket before coming to Blair and it came to be my favorite sport! The MAPL league is also great competition between other boarding schools in the region.
1.) Describe the arts program at your school - what did you like most about it?
The arts program at Blair boasts a large variety of classes. On the instrumental end, they have band, orchestra, pit band, jazz band, and many smaller student bands that perform at school meetings. Furthermore, classes such as painting, pottery, photography, and more are offered with full facilities available to students. Also, the arts building is open till later in the evening so students can practice their art after classes.
1.) Describe the dorm life in your school - what did you like most about it?
Dorm life at Blair was fantastic and I met my closest friends in the dorms. All dorms are equipped with vending machines, TVs, washers and dryers, and ping pong tables, etc. Rooms are in good condition and the roommate selection process is pretty straightforward.
1.) Describe the dining arrangements at your school.
Hours are flexible, with a good quality and diversity of food offered. There are sit down dinners (1-3 times per week), where students have to dress in formal attire and be assigned to table mixed with students from different years. Despite the formal dinner, the cafeteria is a buffet.
1.) Describe the school's town and surrounding area.
There is not too much in Blairstown, however in walking distance of the school there is a pizza place, grocery store, and some markets. There are also multiple delivery places around the town that can deliver food at night.
2.) Describe the social life at your school - what did you like most about it?
The best thing about social life at Blair is that no one was assigned to one clique. Students from all different background-athletic or non-athletic- would hang out.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Columbia University in the City of New York Consistent with its relatively small student body as compared to many other boarding schools, Blair is a place that knows the value of both its community and the relationships cultivated therein. From the moment I. . .
- Williams College The amazing student-faculty relationships definitely made Blair special for me; the faculty are not only your teachers but also your coaches and mentors and dorm-parents, and all of that inter-relatedness allows the students and faculty. . .
- Pace University (Undergrad), Trinity College Dublin (Masters) Blair offers a tremendous student to teacher ratio, large variety of classes offered, and fantastic campus set up. . .
- Bowdoin college Blair isn't unique among boarding schools, and anyone who went to a mainstream boarding school who tries to tell you that theirs is different is full of it. What's unique about their school is that. . .
- University of Pennsylvania Blair is an extroardinarily close community of students, faculty and staff. My political science teacher was my hockey coach and my dorm parent. My college counselor still looks me up when he visits. . .
June 22, 2018
Applying to boarding school requires completing a sheaf of forms. We look at how to accomplish this important task.
May 09, 2018
Inevitably at some point while you are looking at boarding schools, your child will ask what it's like living at boarding school. Here are some answers to those questions.
May 03, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.