The Thacher School - Review #2
About the Author:
|College Enrolled||University of Montana|
|Home Town, State (Country)||Hailey, ID|
|Years Attended Boarding School||4|
|Activities During Boarding School||Chamber singers Varsity Volleyball Gymkhana Team Captain Western riding Horse packing|
1.) What do you think makes your school unique relative to other boarding schools?
The horse department at Thacher is both unique and outstanding. Unique because the school strives to keep the cowboy culture alive with over 100 horses and a fully outfitted western riding center. It is outstanding because this program teaches students responsibility, cooperation, and ultimately offers a life-long bond between man and beast.
2.) What was the best thing that happened to you in boarding school?
I have learned so much responsibility and independence through my experiences at Thacher.
3.) What might you have done differently during your boarding school experience?
Don't be afraid to reach out for help. The faculty and staff are there to help you learn and grow- use them!
4.) What did you like most about your school?
How unique a school it is. I always thought I would end up at a big high school with lockers and bells, but the reality was so much better.
5.) Do you have any final words of wisdom for visiting or incoming students to your school?
Buy cake mix from the student store- it's a great and quick way to do something for a friend who has a birthday! And you can get eggs and oil from the dining hall.
1.) Describe the academics at your school - what did you like most about it?
The most impactful and important part of Thacher academics is the teachers. Nearly all teachers live on campus and are always willing to have you over to their house to help you edit an essay, craft a hypothesis, or work through a particularly challenging calculus problem. They are also extremely understanding of personal issues and offer individual help for students who may learn in specific ways.
1.) Describe the arts program at your school - what did you like most about it?
The chamber singers choral group that I sang in sang in many concerts and competitions all over Southern California. We also toured to Italy and Cuba, singing with local choirs, in churches, and with music schools.
1.) Describe the school's town and surrounding area.
Town buses offer the opportunity to go into town 3 times a week to shop, get lunch, go to the farmers market, or just hang out with friends.
2.) Describe the social life at your school - what did you like most about it?
Events every weekend night and social time every school night.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Pitzer College The tight knit community is a really rare quality at high schools in general but especially boarding schools. The relationships with teachers and students is so close and the fact that there is very few. . .
- University of Montana The horse department at Thacher is both unique and outstanding. Unique because the school strives to keep the cowboy culture alive with over 100 horses and a fully outfitted western riding center. It is outstanding. . .
- Yale I loved Thacher because of the deep, respectful, and genuine connections in the community. Students, faculty, and staff were all so supportive to ensure I was the happiest and most challenged I could be. During. . .
- Yale University You cannot mention Thacher without talking about the horse program; each freshman is required to take care of and ride a horse for the first year of high school. I rode all four years and. . .
- Dartmouth College One thing that makes Thacher unique are the opportunities to form close, meaningful relationships with teachers and its commitment to helping students grow personally as well as academically. Whether it's out in the Domelands wilderness. . .
February 19, 2018
The essence of a private school education is that strong partnership forged between school, parent and child.
February 13, 2018
Actually, there is no secret to getting your child into boarding school. Just a lot of hard work and a heavy commitment of time.
January 12, 2018