5.00 (4 reviews)PO Box 1879
Plymouth, NH 03264
Gr: (Boarding) 9-12, PG | 280 students
Our Snow Sports program is among the best in the nation, and we regularly send our skiers and snow boarders to the podium.
Holderness is just a few miles from the slopes of Cannon Mountain, Loon Mountain, and Waterville Valley. Our Snow Sports athletes also train in Switzerland, Colorado, Utah and California - just to name a few.
In the Holderness classroom each student is??literally??in the front row, with an average class size of 12. We offer AP courses spanning multiple disciplines, and encourage students to pursue an intellectual passion of their own in their twelfth-grade year as part of the Senior Thesis program.
Even casual visitors to Holderness are struck by how often they hear ??hello?' in the buildings and on the walkways.
Our girls' field hockey team has been to the finals of the NEPSAC tournament every year for the last twenty-two years -- a tradition that's hard to beat.
Our athletics programs provide for the highest levels of participation at several levels of competition.This means that each Holderness student receives dedicated training and coaching in as many as three sports per year, wears a Holderness uniform, and regularly represents the school. Nobody stands on the sidelines.
We have a ratio that you won?'t hear about at any other school ?? 8:1. That?'s what we call a ??ratio for relationships?' - a ratio that means that for every eight students in a dormitory there is one faculty member to support, guide and mentor them.
- Holderness School is an independent boarding school, grades 9 - 12, for academically minded students with a love of the outdoors.
- We are located in beautiful Holderness, NH in the heart of ski country. Visit our website to fill out an online inquiry and give us a call or email to schedule a campus visit!.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- St. Joesephs The one thing about Holderness that I thought was incredibly unique, and one of my favorite aspects of the school, is the sense of community. I don't think I've ever been as close to a. . .
- Roger Williams Universtiy The teachers always went above and beyond to not only be a strong teacher but also friends with many of the student, this became strong on during Outback and other Special Programs trips where students. . .
- Trinity College (CT) The four years that I spent at Holderness were, without a doubt, the most enjoyable and most transformative years of my life. I have worked at three different independent schools since college and it. . .
- Boston University The mandatory work program for every student and the balanced mix of academic, athletic, and art exposure required developed ability to focus. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Holderness School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||620 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||280 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1800||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$60 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$32,300||$21,275|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||65%||-|
|Director of Admissions||David Flynn|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Sarah Svindland|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Cycling, Field Hockey, Football, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Ski Jumping, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||24||23|
|Extracurriculars||Alliance Club, Blue Key, Community Service Club, Current Events Club, Diversity Club, Dorm Prefects, Drama Club, Environment Club, Fishing Club, Food Club, Habitat for Humanity, Investment Club, Math Team, Multicultural Club, National Honor Society, Outing Club, Peer Tutoring, School Newspaper, Slackline Club, Student Activities, Student Government, Vestry, Work Program, Yearbook|
- Holderness is an independent, boarding day school, offering grades 9-12. The combination of the school's focus on community and character and its joyful outdoor spirit are what make it distinctive. Holderness offers a first class preparatory education, along with outstanding snow sports, athletics and arts programs. Our students graduate well educated, resilient, and open-minded, with the skills for a happy and successful life.
- School accreditations: NEASC, AISNE, ISANNE
Submit Review for Holderness School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
February 03, 2017
Explore the incredible variety of athletics which schools offer. Athletics are not optional in boarding school. Athletics are one part of a comprehensive program most schools adopt to educate the whole child in mind, body and spirit.
February 03, 2017
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
February 03, 2017
Whether a school uses the Harkness Table™ or doesn't use the Harkness Table™ is a matter of teaching style worth exploring in some detail.