Stoneleigh-Burnham School - Review #5
About the Author:
|College Enrolled||Quinnipiac University|
|Home Town, State (Country)||Florence, MA|
|Years Attended Boarding School||1|
|Activities During Boarding School||Dance, chorus, band, horseback riding, theater productions, resident assistant.|
1.) What do you think makes your school unique relative to other boarding schools?
As an all-girls boarding school Stoneleigh-Burnham gets it right. They foster confidence, lifelong friendships, and help each girl to find her individual voice and express it. As an intentionally small school, they really help girls develop a sense of support and pride for each other--and the institution--that is wonderful.
2.) What was the best thing that happened to you in boarding school?
Boarding school really helped me to be confident and articulate. I appreciate the opportunities for public speaking (in class and in our all-school meeting, house meeting) which helped me to be unafraid of public speaking as an adult, a skill a really value.
3.) What might you have done differently during your boarding school experience?
I think it is important to be open to new people and new ideas. Growing up in a small town in Western Massachusetts, SBS was the first place that really opened my eyes to cultures from around the world. I am so grateful for the incredible diversity I encountered there and the opportunities to learn so much about cultures around the world.
4.) What did you like most about your school?
The community, the faculty, and the sense of family that exists within Stoneleigh-Burnham's halls.
5.) Do you have any final words of wisdom for visiting or incoming students to your school?
The swing, which has long sat in the corner of the oval, is a favorite haunt. For years girls have been gathering there to giggle and chat between classes and before study hall...a tradition I am certain will continue for years to come.
1.) Describe the athletics at your school - what did you like most about it?
I loved dancing at SBS. The sense of camaraderie among students because of the size of the school was wonderful. We did weekly yoga and pilates work to build core strength and were encouraged to have fun and explore movement.
1.) Describe the arts program at your school - what did you like most about it?
The arts at SBS are one of the most amazing aspects. For a small school they offer a wonderful array of visual and performing arts. From photography to ceramics to private voice and instrumental lessons there is nothing you can't explore.
1.) Describe the school's town and surrounding area.
Greenfield is home to some excellent restaurant, cozy coffee shops, and fun shops--some within walking distance and others accessible by shuttle on the weekends.
2.) Describe the social life at your school - what did you like most about it?
The sense of community is one of the most amazing things about SBS. Every independent school offers small classes and rigorous academics. Community is where SBS really gets it right. They truly offer girls the whole package.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Clemson University The reason I chose my school was because I am an equestrian and the barn at my high school was at the end of the driveway. The reason I stayed was because I found a. . .
- Harvard University What makes Stoneleigh-Burnham unique is its incredibly small student body (no more than 160 students) and the fact that it's the only all-girl's school in New England to offer the International Baccalaureate program. Not. . .
- New York University Abu Dhabi SBS truly has a community; a close knit space that allows any and everyone to grow however they please. The support I found in so many of the teachers, and on so many different occasions. . .
- Mount Holyoke College I attended Stoneleigh-Burnham School for 4 years. The combination of academics, extracurricular activities, and athletics far exceeded my expectations. SBS has a welcoming and diverse community, - exposing students to the meaning of community service. . .
- Quinnipiac University As an all-girls boarding school Stoneleigh-Burnham gets it right. They foster confidence, lifelong friendships, and help each girl to find her individual voice and express it. As an intentionally small school, they really help girls. . .
April 20, 2018
Actually, there is no secret to getting your child into boarding school. Just a lot of hard work and a heavy commitment of time.
March 22, 2018
Some cynics think single-sex education is old-fashioned. The Kiski School shows how educating boys in a single-sex school is successful.
March 08, 2018
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.