Westover School - Review #1
About the Author:
|Home Town, State (Country)||Baltimore, MD|
|Years Attended Boarding School||4|
|Activities During Boarding School||11/12 Theatre productions (we do three per year), Gospel Choir, Glee Club, Chamber Choir, Chanterelle, Dialtones, Hostess and Tour guide, Gospel Choir Head, West Head, Sit-down Dinner Head, JV Basketball Captain, Guitar lessons, Voice lessons, Graduation speaker|
1.) What do you think makes your school unique relative to other boarding schools?
Westover School is unique because of its community. No other school I have visited or heard of has the atmosphere Westover has. Each of the students have unbreakable bonds with each other and the faculty; I have made friends for life. Also, the traditions we have are quite unique. There are a few yearly traditions that I cannot speak of (you'll find out about them when you go and must keep them secret) but they are definitely the glue that hold us together as a community. Some are with the whole school and some are with just the girls but regardless are essential to Westover's history.
2.) What was the best thing that happened to you in boarding school?
Boarding school changed my life. Period. I have become more mature and independent. I have gained so much knowledge of the world and I am not afraid to take my part in it. I have achieved a lot. I talked about a lot in my graduation speech and my classmates could agree about how much Westover did for them as well.
3.) What might you have done differently during your boarding school experience?
I would have not changed much because everything I did taught me a lesson.
4.) What did you like most about your school?
5.) Do you have any final words of wisdom for visiting or incoming students to your school?
Talk to everyone you can and try to seek out as many alumni as you can (we're awesome). Don't be afraid to try new things and be yourself because everyone is afraid and you can help inspire others.
1.) Describe the academics at your school - what did you like most about it?
Academics are extremely rigorous but you learn so much about so much that you really can't complain. Each class is in depth and thorough (whether it be regular or honors) and each teacher is a complete expert. The workload is tough to manage but once you get the hang of it and complain a little you'll be okay. Although school is tough, Westover is 100% collaborative rather than competitive.
1.) Describe the extracurriculars offered at your school - what did you like most about it?
Student organizations are less active but have a lot of pride. There are so many volunteer/community service opportunities that it is impossible to go to all of them, at least two different events every weekend.
1.) Describe the dining arrangements at your school.
Dining is great, lots of options! Sit-down dinner was a great opportunity. Normally we sit (mostly) by class but for sit-down the seats are random and a couple girls from each grade would sit at a table with a faculty member. Each night had a different dress code and some nights had themes. Great conversations to be had. Also the kitchen staff are the best people ever.
1.) Describe the school's town and surrounding area.
Middlebury is pretty boring so outside trips are a must. We made our own fun though.
2.) Describe the social life at your school - what did you like most about it?
Social life mostly stayed within the school. Some people were popular enough or lived nearby to have an outside social life but it wasn't common.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- UMBC Westover School is unique because of its community. No other school I have visited or heard of has the atmosphere Westover has. Each of the students have unbreakable bonds with each other and the faculty;. . .
- Boston College Westover School is unique, for one, because it is an all-girls school. Being one of the few remaining all-girls schools in the surrounding area, Westover strives to instill in students qualities of independence and confidence. . .
- University of New Hampshire Form the moment you walk into the great yellow walls of Westover, you are greeted with smiles. Westover's community is close-knit and comfortable. We not only support each other, but also push our friends, teammates. . .
- Vanderbilt University Westover was one of the best places I have ever been in my life so far. Coming from Hong Kong, I came to Westover without visiting the school at the age of sixteen as a. . .
- Hobart and William Smith Colleges Westover is definitely a school set apart from most boarding schools. The faculty are unlike most a student may encounter. The school has "conferences" where teachers meet one on one with students to give them. . .
April 20, 2018
Actually, there is no secret to getting your child into boarding school. Just a lot of hard work and a heavy commitment of time.
March 22, 2018
Some cynics think single-sex education is old-fashioned. The Kiski School shows how educating boys in a single-sex school is successful.
March 08, 2018
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.