Pomfret School - Review #2
About the Author:
|College Enrolled||UC Berkeley|
|Home Town, State (Country)||Oxford, MD|
|Years Attended Boarding School||4|
|Activities During Boarding School||Field Hockey(Captain), Lacrosse (Captain), Ice Hockey(JV Captain), School Newspaper (Editor-in-Cheif)|
1.) What do you think makes your school unique relative to other boarding schools?
We have a special program--called project Pomfret, in which students focus all their time in the two and a half weeks between thanksgiving and Christmas breaks on a project, i.e. geocaching, teaching children, learning about hip hop or the history of food.
2.) What was the best thing that happened to you in boarding school?
I really grew and changed as a person--learned about what it really means to be mature and to care and get involved. I loved the sports programs for the most part. I ended up valedictorian of my graduating class, and the support system i have and friendships i made have really gotten me through a lot.
3.) What might you have done differently during your boarding school experience?
I was very anxious my freshman year, I wish i branched out more and had less fear of the upperclassmen. My advice to new students--get involved and find what you are passionate about.
4.) What did you like most about your school?
The amazing advising system and supporting faculty, and the ability to find my niche among great, caring friends.
5.) Do you have any final words of wisdom for visiting or incoming students to your school?
Watch the sunset every day, and live with your friends.
1.) Describe the academics at your school - what did you like most about it?
I really liked the science department in particular; the teachers were extremely invested in my success. I enjoyed the wide range of classes offered despite it being a really small school. The rigor ranged, but i was able to take courses that challenged me.
1.) Describe the extracurriculars offered at your school - what did you like most about it?
I enjoyed my extracurriculars, however the social stigma at the school around getting involved was binding. However, there were some students and faculty who helped make getting involved cool.
1.) Describe the dorm life in your school - what did you like most about it?
I loved the freshman dorm set-up; across the street in "freshman circle." It allowed the freshman class to really adjust to dorm life. The bricks were also really amazing environments in which I lived with my best friends.
1.) Describe the school's town and surrounding area.
There was barely anything surrounding campus except the vanilla bean and a few small places. However, the vanilla bean rocks.
2.) Describe the social life at your school - what did you like most about it?
I liked how social life often surrounded active events (sports, spike ball, frisbee), however there wasn't always much to do.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Harvard University The sense of community is something that is discussed a lot at Pomfret, but for a good reason. I toured a multitude of schools across both Canada and the United States and nothing compared to. . .
- UC Berkeley We have a special program--called project Pomfret, in which students focus all their time in the two and a half weeks between thanksgiving and Christmas breaks on a project, i.e. geocaching, teaching children, learning about. . .
- Middlebury The sense of community is unique to Pomfret, although I hear many other prep school kids talking about it, I think Pomfret has a unique sense of what it means to attend the school. I. . .
- Skidmore College One aspect that makes Pomfret unique is the strong relationships that you build with the teachers and faculty members interacting with them in the classroom, at dinner, sports fields, or weekends. The teachers and. . .
- American University Pomfret's unique location, in the quaint and quiet Northeast corner of Connecticut, allows for the school campus to have a strong and pronounced community feeling. The three-tiered emphasis of academics, athletics and the arts is. . .
August 14, 2018
An education consultant knows schools. Like any professional he has vast experience in and knowledge of his chosen field.
August 02, 2018
Explore the different types of boarding school options in the US. Find which type of boarding school is most appropriate for you.
July 18, 2018
It makes sense to cast your net widely when looking at boarding schools. Here's why.