5.00 (8 reviews)
Tel: (860) 963-6120
PO Box 128, 398 Pomfret Street
Pomfret, CT 06258
Pomfret, CT 06258
- Founded in 1894, Pomfret School is a coeducational college preparatory boarding and day school for 368 students in grades 9 through 12 and postgraduates.
- Brought to life by an exceptional faculty, Pomfret offers a rich and rewarding experience for students from various cultural and socio-economic backgrounds.
- Through a rigorous and engaging education, a commitment to service beyond self, and numerous opportunities for personal growth in academic, artistic, athletic, and residential settings, students emerge as ethical and active citizens of the world.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Georgetown University Pomfret is unique because of the focus on STEM topics in all aspects of learning. Pomfret has shifted its use of technology in the classrooms to reflect the importance of math and engineering into the. . .
- Harvard University The sense of community is something that is discussed a lot at Pomfret, but for a good reason. I toured a multitude of schools across both Canada and the United States and nothing compared to. . .
- UC Berkeley We have a special program--called project Pomfret, in which students focus all their time in the two and a half weeks between thanksgiving and Christmas breaks on a project, i.e. geocaching, teaching children, learning about. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Pomfret School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Religious Affiliation||Non-denom. / Christian||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||500 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||367 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Appropriate dress required. Formal Dress for special occasions.)
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$48 million||$22 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$30,570||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Amy Graham|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||18|
|Courses||Advanced Athropology, Advanced Biology, Advanced Calculus I, Advanced Calculus II, Advanced Calculus III, Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Comparative Government & Politics, Advanced Computer Science, Advanced English III, Advanced English IV, Advanced Environmental Science, Advanced French Language & Culture, Advanced Independent Sculpture & Ceramics, Advanced Latin Literature, Advanced Music Theory, Advanced Physics, Advanced Psychology, Advanced Spanish Language & Culture, Advanced Statistics, Advanced Studio Art: 3D Design Portfolio, Advanced Studio Art: Painting & Drawing, Advanced Studio Art: Photography, Advanced US History, Advanced World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Riding, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||15||24|
|Extracurriculars||Diners Club, Fitness Club, Subterraneans, The Pontefract, Women's Action Coalition|
Club or Organization:
Cum Laude, Fellowship Christian Club, International Club, Key Society, Math Club, Radio Station, School Council, Ski Club, Voice
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year: 2012 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|St. Lawrence University||13|
|College of Charleston||11|
|New York University||9|
|University of Richmond||9|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- For 120 years, this school on a hilltop in northeastern Connecticut has been providing young people with opportunities to learn, grow, and pursue and discover their own interests and talents. Since its founding in 1894, Pomfret has focused on innovation and progressive thinking about what a great education should be, and this forward-thinking spirit lives on today. Our classrooms are vibrant and engaging, our dorms are comfortable and foster responsibility and deep personal relationships, and our advisory system encourages intergenerational connections that truly distinguish us from many other great schools. At Pomfret, students feel safe to be themselves. Seniors and freshmen, boys and girls, faculty and staff, and students all share the same values of inclusivity, compassion, and understanding. Pomfret students and faculty and staff are challenged, inspired, engaged, and supported, and they are expected to do the same for everyone else who makes Pomfret their home. Pomfret is looking forward to what promises to be a very bright future, a future that beyond these walls will bring uncertainty and newfound complexity. We acknowledge and embrace the idea that education must evolve to meet the changes that are coming to a new knowledge economy, and so we are pleased to introduce a newly adopted Strategic Plan. The fundamental goals of the plan are to better prepare students for the world that lies in store for them after their time with us and to ensure the long-term financial sustainability of the School. We believe that our current program is excellent. However, the far-reaching yet focused vision of the plan suggests that we will prepare students as best as possible with the knowledge, skills, and character they need to flourish in the 21st century.
- Submit Review for Pomfret School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
A boarding school is a business. Is your business on brand?