Our beach on Lake Michigan. Simultaneously inspirational and grounding. The perfect backdrop to an educational experience built to launch students into the world with wings.
Bridge across the Crystal River toward the shores of Lake Michigan. A beautiful natural environment providing lasting positive environmental impacts on our students learning.
School Greenhouse - Hands on biology and nutrition courses where students learn to grow the food they eat.
Pinebrook Girls Dormitory - Beautifully updated inside and out. Steps away from the student center, academic building and Crystal River.
- For over 80 years, The Leelanau School has challenged high school students to reach beyond their acknowledged potential in every aspect of their lives.
- We offer a college preparatory curriculum using multi-sensory, experiential, and strength-based methodologies.
- Students gain awareness of their individual learning styles, build skills and strategies to maximize their learning potential, and grow into independent learners.
- We are able to offer students an individualized approach to academics from our expert faculty and an enriching and structured residential life program that continues beyond the school day.
- Whether it is in the classroom, on the field, in the dorm, in the equestrian ring, on the slopes, or volunteering in the community, everything is a life-enriching experience.
- A student`s time at The Leelanau School is an engaging, unique, memorable, and life changing experience.
- A Leelanau education equips students with the educational, physical, and social tools necessary to succeed in today`s competitive world.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Western Michigan University The setting of this school is absolutely amazing, sitting between the sleeping bear dunes with the crystal river running through campus. The small class sizes and small school size is a plus. . .
- Wayne State University I believe there are many different aspects of this school that make it unique. The small class size, the location, the access to teachers, and the hands-on approach to education and the variety of. . .
- KVCC Leelanau is a small school situated in the woodlands of Northern Michigan. It has an intimate atmosphere and very peaceful setting. . .
- Oakland Community College Students come to boarding schools for all different reasons. College prep, life experience, broken homes, etc. I was failing in the public school system. I was just a number. Boarding school was not my choice. . .
- Olivet College There is no doubt Leelanau located in the Sleeping Bear National Dunes is an incredible place to learn and be lucky enough to go to school. The school is amazing and do not take. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|The Leelanau School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||42 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||52 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Special Dress required for specified occasions)
|Average Class Size||10 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||5||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$15,000||$21,582|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Michael Jarvis|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Sarah Jane Crimmins|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||12||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Boxing, Cross Country, Cycling, Equestrian, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Rugby, Snowboarding, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||13||23|
|Extracurriculars||Ensemble Band, Fishing Club, Greenhouse, Hiking, Intramural Sports, Mentoring, Music Club, National Honor Society, Student Activities Committee, Student Ambassadors, Student Council, Yearbook, Yoga|
- Leelanau is the experientially-based boarding and day college preparatory high school that provides a customized and independence-building education to students. Leelanau Features:
- An exceptionally devoted and seasoned faculty that provides a multi-sensory, whole-child approach to education.
- Strength-based teaching strategies that build self-esteem and confidence,academically, socially, and emotionally.
- A 1:6 teacher-to-student ratio that allows Leelanau to provide individual guidance to each student for his or her learning development.
- An integrated curriculum that uses innovative teaching techniques to create optimism and satisfaction to students who have struggled academically.
- A natural, safe, and friendly setting that transforms students,fosters creativity and curiosity, and creates stewardship for the environment.
- LD types supported: ADD/ADHD, Language-Based Learning Differences, Dyscalculia, Dysgraphia, High-Functioning Aspergers
- School accreditations: Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), Small Boarding School Association (SBSA)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Willis Hawkins - Lockheed aircraft designer
- Walter Netsch - Chicago Architect
- Martha Seger - First female governor of the Federal Reserve Board
- Najeeb Halaby - COO of Pan Am and Director of the FAA
- Walter Lane Smith - Actor
- Ramon Rodriguez - Actor
- J.Hart Wolf - Restaurant owner in Los Angeles
Submit Review for The Leelanau School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
June 26, 2017
Visiting schools on your short list is very important. During your visit observe and ask questions.
June 19, 2017
There are many reasons to go to boarding school. The academics, the athletics and the extracurricular activities are just a few considerations. Here are the 10 top reasons why you should go to boarding school.
June 03, 2017
Is boarding school right for you? Boarding schools offer a wealth of experiences in both learning and living which will do you well in later life.