Interlochen Arts Academy
- Providing an artistic and educational experience like nowhere else, Interlochen Arts Academy offers high school-aged students the chance to work, study and live in an international community of like-minded artists.
- Surrounded by art and immersed in an atmosphere of collaboration and freedom, students receive supportive attention and dozens of performance, gallery and presentation opportunities.
- Interlochen provides both college-preparatory academics and intensive artistic training in seven fine arts areas, including comparative arts, creative writing, dance, motion picture arts, music, theatre and visual arts.
- Academy students from around the world work with accomplished faculty, professional guest artists, and 550 other talented and creative students in the pursuit of taking their art to the next level.
- Personalized guidance, expert portfolio reviews, and attention to scholarship and grant offerings allow graduates access to selective colleges, universities and conservatories.
- National awards including YoungArts and Scholastic are achieved by Academy students each year, and Interlochen has produced 46 Presidential Scholars in the Arts, more than any other high school in the country, public or private.
- Part of Interlochen Center for the Arts, Interlochen Arts Academy is a 2006 recipient of the National Medal of Arts, and was recognized in 2019 as a Green Ribbon School by the U.S. Department of Education.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Interlochen Arts||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||Pre-prof. Arts / College-prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||5-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||1200 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||552 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||2||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$88.5 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Katherine Luellen|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Colby Carson|
- Interlochen Arts Academy accreditations: The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), the Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS), NAIS, NASM
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Interlochen Arts Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
We explore the reasons why you should send your child to boarding school
The International Baccalaureate® Diploma Programme offers a rigorous, disciplined approach to college preparation studies. We answer common questions about the IB.