Interlochen Arts Academy
Interlochen Arts Academy Photo #2 - The Academy`s cutting-edge Contemporary Music track provides comprehensive training in musicianship, songwriting, audio production, and music business. Students interact with industry professionals through master classes and touring opportunities.
Interlochen Arts Academy Photo #3 - Arts Academy dance students explore both ballet and contemporary dance, presenting two full-length ballets and several contemporary dance showcases each academic year.
Interlochen Arts Academy Photo #4 - Arts Academy theatre students hone their skills while rehearsing classic and contemporary plays and musicals. The Academy presents six professionally produced plays and musicals each year.
Interlochen Arts Academy Photo #5 - Visual Arts students study in the Dow Center for Visual Arts, a beautiful, light-filled structure equipped with window-lined studios. The center also contains a freestanding ceramics studio and a professional-level gallery space.
Interlochen Arts Academy Photo #6 - The Writing House is home to the Academy`s Creative Writing program and provides plenty of spaces for instruction, collaboration, and private writing practice as creative writers study fiction, nonfiction, poetry, playwriting, and hybrid genres under the instruction of world-class artist-educators.
Interlochen Arts Academy Photo #7 - Film & New Media students enjoy access to professional-quality filmmaking equipment including a sound stage and editing suites. In-class activities and personal projects encourage students to discover the greatest resource of all - each other.
Interlochen Arts Academy Photo #8 - Arts Academy students enjoy one-on-one interaction with gifted faculty who are leaders in the arts and education. Each faculty member brings a wealth of real-world experience to their role as a mentor.
Interlochen Arts Academy Photo #9 - Students exercise and play in the state-of-the-art Dennison Center for Recreation and Wellness, which features a workout room, fitness studio, game room, climbing wall, and gymnasium.
- Interlochen Arts Academy is the nation`s premier boarding arts high school, where emerging artists transform passion and potential into purpose. Students pursue pre-professional training in music, dance, theatre, visual arts, creative writing, comparative arts, and film alongside a robust academic curriculum, preparing them to excel in the arts and beyond.
- The Academy is a global community, united by a driving passion for the arts, where cross-cultural friendships are formed and worldviews are expanded.
- Academy students spend four hours per day immersed in their chosen artform, nurtured by distinguished artist-educators. Our faculty have performed in the nation`s finest orchestras, danced with professional companies, acted on stage and screen, published poetry and prose works, exhibited their works in major galleries, and worked for television studios.
- Interlochen`s innovative curriculum provides plenty of opportunities for inter- and multi-disciplinary collaboration. Students are encouraged to think critically and creatively, using their art as a vessel for creative change-making.
- Academy students present more than 200 performances each year, including full-length ballets, plays, concerts, musical theatre performances, creative writing readings, film screenings, and dance performances. Students of all majors regularly perform and present their work off-campus during local and national tours.
- Interlochen students regularly receive accolades in the nation`s top youth arts competitions, such as YoungArts and the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards. Interlochen has produced two National Student Poets and 46 Presidential Scholars in the Arts-more than any other high school.
- The Academy prepares students for excellence in college and beyond. In 2020, 96% of graduates were accepted into one of their top-three colleges. Recent graduates have entered artistic and academic programs at The Juilliard School, Harvard College, Stanford University, Eastman School of Music, The Cooper Union for the Advancement of Science & Art, School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Columbia University, the Oberlin Conservatory of Music, and other top programs.
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Interlochen Arts Academy is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 305 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Interlochen Arts||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||Pre-prof. Arts / College-prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||1200 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||45 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||2||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$92.5 million||$22 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Katherine Luellen|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Colby Carson|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
- Interlochen Arts Academy accreditations: The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), the Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS), NAIS, NASM
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Interlochen Arts Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
A boarding school is a business. Is your business on brand?