- Grades: (Boarding) 9-12
- Enrollment: 184 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $53,500
- Acceptance rate: 21%
- Average class size: 10 students
- Application Deadline: Feb. 15 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Academics and Faculty
AP / Advanced Courses
Animal Lovers, Bowling & Billiards, Ecology Club, Forensics Club, Junior Classical League, Model UN, PEACE - Diversity Celebration, Ping Pong Club, Robotics Team, Student Government, Thespian Society
Arts and Music Programs:
Dramatics, Handbell, Literary Magazine, Pep Band, Solo & Ensemble
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Backpacking Club, Club Hockey, Rock Wall
- Writing Initiative; as cross-curricular as possible.
- Model U.N.
- Forensics (Conference Champions!)
- Sixty-five acre campus located in a nice and safe community that offers an extraordinary amount of resources that enhances a student's experience.
- A student body from "down the street, across the country, and around the world."
- 100% college/university students are accepted into a college of their choice.
- A STEAM program that offers multiple lab spaces.
- An observatory located in the science department.
- Wayland Academy accreditations: Independent School Association of the Central States (ISACS) and the North Central Association (NCA)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- George E. Taylor - 1879. First African-American to run for the office of President of the United States.
- Zona Gale - 1891. First woman to win the Pulitzer Prize for Drama (1921), for "Miss Lola Bett."
- Addie Joss - 1898. Pitcher; Cleveland Naps (AL); Baseball Hall of Fame.
- Ned Merriam - 1905. Competed at the 1908 London Olympics (400 Meters); coached track & field at: Iowa State, Texas A&M, DePauw, Yale, and U. of Chicago. Football & Track athlete at Chicago (coached by Amos Alonzo Stagg).
- Raymond Patterson - 1940. President/G.M., Houston Rockets, Milwaukee Bucks (NBA), and Wayland Academy.
- Susan Peterson - 1963. First female TV correspondent assigned to the White House; Communications Consultant.
- Rick Fliehr - 1968. Professional wrestler (as Rick "Nature Boy" Flair).
- Mikki Hebl, PhD - 1987. Professor, Rice University; Motivational Speaker.
- Uzma Samadani, MD, PhD - 1988. Neurosurgeon, researcher, Manhattan Veterans' Hospital
- Kira Salak - 1989. Traveler, author, contributing editor to National Geographic
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Wayland Academy cost?
Wayland Academy's tuition is approximately $53,500 for boarding students.
What is the acceptance rate of Wayland Academy?
The acceptance rate of Wayland Academy is 21%, which is lower than the boarding school average of 58%. Wayland Academy's acceptance rate is ranked as one of the top boarding schools with low acceptance rates.
Who are famous alumni from Wayland Academy?
Wayland Academy famous alumni include: George E. Taylor, Zona Gale, Addie Joss, Ned Merriam, Raymond Patterson, Susan Peterson, Rick Fliehr, Mikki Hebl, PhD, Uzma Samadani, MD, PhD and Kira Salak.
What sports does Wayland Academy offer?
Wayland Academy offers 18 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Climbing, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball and Wrestling.
What is Wayland Academy's ranking?
When is the application deadline for Wayland Academy?
The application deadline for Wayland Academy is Feb. 15 / rolling (applications are due on Feb. 15 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Alumni Reviews Review School
Class of 2018
Class of 2010
Class of 2009