Wayland offers an excellent music faculty and multiple bands, ensembles, choirs, and solo instrumental lessons for students who love music or who hope to someday pursue a career in performance.
Wayland students act, dance and sing in three larger performances per year, in addition to 'open mic' coffeehouses and other campus gatherings.
Students from down the street, across the US, and around the world (about 30 different countries), attend Wayland Academy. The classroom work is rigorous, but students agree it's truly a fun place to be.
The fieldhouse, originally built as the NBA's Milwaukee Bucks' practice facility, is the indoor home of 'Big Red' Athletics, including basketball, volleyball, and others.
In addition to class, there are tons of clubs and student organizations catered to Wayland students' passions, including robotics club.
Wayland's distinguished Model U.N. Club competes with schools from around the U.S. The Forensics Team was Conference Champion in its first year (2015-16).
- Wayland Academy is proud of its Midwestern roots and heritage, proud of our pleasant and safe campus, proud of our talented and dedicated faculty, and proud of our diverse and exciting student body.
- The Academy's stand-out features are our Writing Initiative; excellent, personalized college-counseling; very diverse student body; and Opportunties for students to do the activities they enjoy, as well as new ones to try.
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Creighton University Wayland is a college-prep boarding school in the Midwest. That is not seen very often. Wisconsin only has 2 other boarding schools, and one being a Christian School, the other being a military school. That. . .
- Stanford University The school encompasses many of the qualities associated with the midwest. If you go to a restaurant nearby or order delivery on a semiweekly basis, the business will know you by name. The. . .
- Purdue University Upon first arriving at Wayland, it does not take long before you realize the family atmosphere of this school. I think a big reason for this atmosphere is the small size of the school. Many. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Wayland Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||55 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||195 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1680||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||25||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$13 million||$17 million|
|Tuition international students||$53,030||$47,500|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Brad Large|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Kris G. Boucher|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||17|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language & Composition, AP English Literature & Composition, AP European History, AP German, AP Latin, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Physics "c", AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP US Government, AP US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||20||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Baking Club, Breakfast Club- Bible study group, Dance Club, Ecology Club, Forensics Club, Junior Classical League, Model UN, PEACE - Diversity Celebration, Ping Pong Club, Robotics Team, Student Government, Thespian Society, Voiceless/Animal Rights Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Choir, Concert Club, Dramatics, Handbell, Literary Magazine, Pep Band, Solo & Ensemble
|Year: 2009 - 2011||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Wisconsin - Madison||12|
|University of Minnesota||6|
|St. Olaf College||5|
|Lake Forest College||3|
|Univ. of Wisconsin-Platteville||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Writing Initiative; as cross-curricular as possible.
- Model U.N.
- Forensics (Conference Champions!)
- The tree-shaded, fifty-five acre campus located in a very nice, safe, Midwestern city.
- A student body from "down the street, across the country, and around the world."
- 100% college/university acceptance of all graduates.
- School accreditations: Independent School Association of the Central States (ISACS) and the North Central Association (NCA)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- George E. Taylor - 1879. First African-American to run for the office of President of the United States.
- Zona Gale - 1891. First woman to win the Pulitzer Prize for Drama (1921), for "Miss Lola Bett."
- Addie Joss - 1898. Pitcher; Cleveland Naps (AL); Baseball Hall of Fame.
- Ned Merriam - 1905. Competed at the 1908 London Olympics (400 Meters); coached track & field at: Iowa State, Texas A&M, DePauw, Yale, and U. of Chicago. Football & Track athlete at Chicago (coached by Amos Alonzo Stagg).
- Raymond Patterson - 1940. President/G.M., Houston Rockets, Milwaukee Bucks (NBA), and Wayland Academy.
- Susan Peterson - 1963. First female TV correspondent assigned to the White House; Communications Consultant.
- Rick Fliehr - 1968. Professional wrestler (as Rick "Nature Boy" Flair).
- Mikki Hebl, PhD - 1987. Professor, Rice University; Motivational Speaker.
- Uzma Samadani, MD, PhD - 1988. Neurosurgeon, researcher, Manhattan Veterans' Hospital
- Kira Salak - 1989. Traveler, author, contributing editor to National Geographic
- Submit Review for Wayland Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
February 19, 2018
The essence of a private school education is that strong partnership forged between school, parent and child.
February 19, 2018
As amazing as it sounds, corporal punishment is still legal in over 20 states. Fortunately private schools banned the practice many decades ago.
January 12, 2018