The Academy at SOAR
- The Academy at SOAR is designed for students who have faced challenges in a traditional classroom setting due to a learning disability.
- By combining academics and adventure, we are better able to develop the whole child, allowing students to experience success both academically and personally.
- Our student centered model provides students with the tools and experiences for success through instruction in the following components: Academics, Adventures, Self-Advocacy, Life Skills, Project Based Learning, Field Studies, Community and Empowerment.
- Emphasis is placed upon applying knowledge to real situations, developing the whole person, and demonstrating the competence to thrive in society.
- As a result, students walk away from the Academy empowered with self-awareness, a zest for learning, and a sense of self-sufficiency unknown before.
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
The Academy at SOAR is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 313 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|The Academy at SOAR||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||22 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||32 students||320 students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||8 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Holly Cottom|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||4||16|
|Sports||Climbing, Kayaking, Mountaineering, Rock Climbing|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Our mission is to provide an alternative learning environment and differentiated instruction that nurtures self-discovery and independent inquisition. Many students have experienced difficulty in the traditional academic settings, stemming from a variety of factors including, but not limited to, ADD/ADHD, LD, negative feedback from peers and teachers, inability to self-advocate, peer influences, and poor academic performance. Beyond providing content instruction in each course, the Academy at SOAR seeks to modify the student`s perception of him or herself as a student, allowing them to become aware of their unique strengths, abilities, and challenges, along with techniques to overcome academic hurdles. This mission is carried out by providing differentiated instruction based on the needs of each student. Flexibility in instructional methods and course-work offerings is necessary to meet the needs of each student. Though traditional instruction is used at times during classroom days, the Academy at SOAR seeks to implement multi-sensory and individualized methods whenever possible to make learning experiences more relevant and meaningful.
- LD types supported: ADHD, Dyslexia, Aspergers, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia
- The Academy at SOAR accreditations: AdvancEd Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), Small Boarding School Association (SBSA)
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Academy at SOAR
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Four reasons shaped our decision. I share these and other insights with you.
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
What are you allowed to bring to boarding school? What are you not allowed to bring to boarding school? Answers to those questions and more.