The Academy at SOAR
- The Academy at SOAR is designed for students who have faced challenges in a traditional classroom setting due to a learning disability.
- By combining academics and adventure, we are better able to develop the whole child, allowing students to experience success both academically and personally.
- Our student centered model provides students with the tools and experiences for success through instruction in the following components: Academics, Adventures, Self-Advocacy, Life Skills, Project Based Learning, Field Studies, Community and Empowerment.
- Emphasis is placed upon applying knowledge to real situations, developing the whole person, and demonstrating the competence to thrive in society.
- As a result, students walk away from the Academy empowered with self-awareness, a zest for learning, and a sense of self-sufficiency unknown before.
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|The Academy at SOAR||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||10 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||32 students||300 students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||8 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Lynne Neaves|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||2||14|
|Sports||Kayaking, Rock Climbing|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Our mission is to provide an alternative learning environment and differentiated instruction that nurtures self-discovery and independent inquisition. Many students have experienced difficulty in the traditional academic settings, stemming from a variety of factors including, but not limited to, ADD/ADHD, LD, negative feedback from peers and teachers, inability to self-advocate, peer influences, and poor academic performance. Beyond providing content instruction in each course, the Academy at SOAR seeks to modify the student`s perception of him or herself as a student, allowing them to become aware of their unique strengths, abilities, and challenges, along with techniques to overcome academic hurdles. This mission is carried out by providing differentiated instruction based on the needs of each student. Flexibility in instructional methods and course-work offerings is necessary to meet the needs of each student. Though traditional instruction is used at times during classroom days, the Academy at SOAR seeks to implement multi-sensory and individualized methods whenever possible to make learning experiences more relevant and meaningful.
- LD types supported: ADHD, Dyslexia, Aspergers, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia
- School accreditations: AdvancEd Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), Small Boarding School Association (SBSA)
- Submit Review for The Academy at SOAR
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12 | 291 students 33.6 miles500 Christ School Road
Asheville, NC 28704
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 46 students 1381.8 miles454 Academy Drive
Durango, CO 81301
- Grades: 9-12 | 110 students 1979.3 miles1539 E. Howard St.
Pasadena, CA 91104
September 05, 2017
Generous financial aid and a commitment to diversity are hallmarks of the 21st century release of St. Grottlesex. More here.
August 29, 2017
The International Baccalaureate programmes cover the entire K-12 spectrum with three distinct educational curricula. In this article, we focus on American private high schools which offer the Diploma Programme.
August 29, 2017
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.