The Academy at SOAR Photo #2 - Each academic year the Academy goes on an international expedition to wither Belize, Costa Rica, or Mexico. (2020-2021 year trip may be affected by COVID-19)
The Academy at SOAR Photo #3 - The unique program combines adventure and academics to better serve our population.
The Academy at SOAR is designed for students with ADHD/LD who have faced challenges in a traditional classroom setting due to a learning disability.
By combining academics and adventure, we are better able to develop the whole child, allowing students to experience success both academically and personally.
Our student centered model provides students with the tools and experiences for success through instruction in the following components: Academics, Adventures, Self-Advocacy, Life Skills, Project Based Learning, Field Studies, Community and Empowerment.
Emphasis is placed upon applying knowledge to real situations, developing the whole person, and demonstrating the competence to thrive in society.
As a result, students walk away from the Academy empowered with self-awareness, a zest for learning, and a sense of self-sufficiency unknown before.
- Grades: (Boarding) 7-12
- Enrollment: 32 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $67,000
- Average class size: 8 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Definition of Terms | 2023 School Data
The Academy at SOAR
Boarding School Avg.
Grades Offered (Boarding)
% Students Boarding
Offers Post-Grad Year
Academics and Faculty
Classroom Dress Code
Average Class Size
* National Avg. »18
Student : Teacher Ratio
ESL Courses Offered
% Faculty with Advanced Degree
Summer Program Offered
Merit Scholarships Offered
None / Rolling
Director of Admissions
- Our mission is to provide an alternative learning environment and differentiated instruction that nurtures self-discovery and independent inquisition. Many students have experienced difficulty in the traditional academic settings, stemming from a variety of factors including, but not limited to, ADHD, LD, negative feedback from peers and teachers, inability to self-advocate, peer influences, and poor academic performance. Beyond providing content instruction in each course, the Academy at SOAR seeks to modify the student`s perception of him or herself as a student, allowing them to become aware of their unique strengths, abilities, and challenges, along with techniques to overcome academic hurdles. This mission is carried out by providing differentiated instruction based on the needs of each student. Flexibility in instructional methods and course-work offerings is necessary to meet the needs of each student. Though traditional instruction is used at times during classroom days, the Academy at SOAR seeks to implement multi-sensory and individualized methods whenever possible to make learning experiences more relevant and meaningful.
- The Academy at SOAR accreditations: COGNIA, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), Small Boarding School Association (SBSA)
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does The Academy at SOAR cost?
The Academy at SOAR's tuition is approximately $67,000 for boarding students.
What sports does The Academy at SOAR offer?
The Academy at SOAR offers 4 interscholastic sports: Climbing, Kayaking, Mountaineering and Rock Climbing.
What is The Academy at SOAR's ranking?
When is the application deadline for The Academy at SOAR?
The application deadline for The Academy at SOAR is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Navigating the Modern Maze: Emerging Challenges for Boarding Schools
Explore the pressing challenges facing boarding schools, from marketing difficulties and rising insurance costs to facility maintenance and recruitment of competent trustees and teachers. This article delves into these complex issues and proposes innovative strategies to overcome them.
What To Wear at Your Job Interview
Navigating job interviews can be stressful, but knowing what to wear shouldn't be. Our comprehensive guide covers the essential dress code tips for men and women interviewing at boarding schools. Make your first impression count with style and professionalism.
July 23, 2023Boarding School Pros and Cons: History and Common Misconceptions
We address common misconceptions about boarding schools, shedding light on the actual experiences versus perceived notions. Ideal for parents contemplating this educational choice for their children, the essay provides a balanced perspective on the topic.