The Vanguard School
The Vanguard School Photo #2 - Average class sizes are 6-8 students and student-to-teacher ratios are 5:1.
The Vanguard School Photo #3 - At The Vanguard School we cater to the whole student. Instructors adjust their level of support, and set the instructional level according to each student`s unique academic plan.
The Vanguard School Photo #4 - Located in Lake Wales, Florida, students enjoy warm, tropical temperatures with blue skies all year round.
- The Vanguard School is a co-educational, college-preparatory boarding and day school for children in grades 6-12.
- We have been providing educational excellence to students who learn differently since 1966.
- Our purpose is to provide a quality education to students and prepare them for post-secondary education and independent living.
- The Vanguard School embraces students who have different learning styles and may have been diagnosed with dyslexia, executive function difficulties, attention deficits or other language-based learning disabilities.
- Vanguard's program is for learners on an average to above average learning scale.
- We provide a structured program which focuses on each students capabilities in and out of the classroom.
- Vanguard offers an immense amount of support for students who have been frustrated with their learning in other academic settings.
- By helping to eliminate these frustrations Vanguard successfully provides its students with new opportunities for college placement and various other interests they may not have been able to achieve without the support and direction provided in this program.
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|The Vanguard School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||77 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||105 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||18||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(khaki, navy, or blue jeans, solid navy or solid white polo or button up shirts)
|Average Class Size||8 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$6,000|
|Endowment Size||$4 million||$19 million|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Candi Medeiros|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Liliana Marshall|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||7||15|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country Running, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||13||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Billiards, Cooking Club, Dance Team, Gamers' Club, Intramural Chess, Movie Club, Sewing Club, Shakespeare Club, Wood Shop Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Archery, Intramural Sports, Lady's Fitness, Tennis
- The Vanguard School provides opportunities for students to participate in sports including basketball, soccer, golf, cross country, tennis and volleyball. Vanguard is sanctioned by Florida High School Athletic Association and our courses are all NCAA approved. We have a student center, gymnasium, junior size olympic swimming pool and lake front access. Trips to Disney World, Legoland, Busch Gardens in Tampa, Sea World, MGM studios, Universal Studios and many other points of interest in Florida are all a popular part of the Vanguard experience.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia, ADD/ADHD, Language Based Learning Disabilities
- The Vanguard School accreditations: FCIS, SACS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Vanguard School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 7-12| 101 students 1019.9 miles9790 Thayer Street
Houghton, NY 14744
- Grades: 8-12| 1550 students 122.2 miles8401 Belvedere Rd
West Palm Beach, FL 33411
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
You and I have experienced all kinds of travel glitches. Discuss your child's upcoming travel plans thoroughly so that your child will be safe and in charge of her travel. The result will be peace of mind for you both.