Verde Valley School
Verde Valley School Photo #2 - Our individualized college counseling program allows students the freedom to find the best fit for them and sends VVS graduates to some of the most recognized colleges and universities in the country, including Dartmouth College, Stanford University, Middlebury College and the University of California system.
Verde Valley School Photo #3 - Nothing beats a Sedona view. Located in the red rocks of Northern Arizona, Verde Valley School is surrounded by national forest land with hiking, biking and horseback riding trails originating from our 170 acre campus. Phoenix, America's 6th largest city, is just 90 miles south.
Verde Valley School Photo #4 - The Equestrian program at Verde Valley School is varied and exciting. Riders can ride both Western and English, on trail rides or in our arena. Our campus herd is 30 strong and riders can also board their horse. The program is open to beginners and experts alike. The horse/rider bond is stressed and riders also assist with important jobs around the barn like giving vaccinations and horse care.
Verde Valley School Photo #5 - Students travel to Malawi, Africa for a month during the summer to distribute over 3,000 pairs of eyeglasses, play with HIV/AID positive children and build schools in villages.
- Verde Valley is an International Baccalaureate World School, with the IB curriculum for all students in grades 11 and 12.
- Nestled within the beautiful scenery of Sedona, Arizona, Verde Valley offers a rigorous academic program, inspiration for artistic and musical expression, and exciting outdoor activities including one of the most diverse equestrian programs in the West.
- Life at VVS revolves around our five guiding principles: academic excellence, world citizenship, environmental stewardship, physical labor and service to others.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Chapman University Verde Valley School is a very unique day and boarding school in Sedona, AZ. Throughout my four years, 2 of being a day student and 2 of boarding, I fell in love with VVS and. . .
- Northern Arizona University I loved going to this school. You really feel connected with the teachers since the class size is around 10-13. The faculty also ends up being your coaches and even your dorm parents. While I. . .
- Stanford University This school is quite possibly located in one of the most scenic places in the country, and the outdoor activities available to the students of VVS make it an incredible place. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Verde Valley School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 332 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Verde Valley School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||175 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||120 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1220||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||22||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||26||17|
|Number of IB Courses Offered||29||-|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$4 million||$18 million|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$15,000||$23,450|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||80%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Sean Fagan|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Sarah D'Angelo|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||26||17|
|Courses||IB Higher Level Biology, IB Higher Level Ceramics, IB Higher Level Drawing, IB Higher Level English Literature, IB Higher Level French , IB Higher Level German, IB Higher Level History of the Americas, IB Higher Level Mathematics , IB Higher Level Music, IB Higher Level Painting, IB Higher Level Photography, IB Higher Level Social and Cultural Anthropology , IB Higher Level Spanish, IB Higher Level Theatre, IB Standard Level Ceramics, IB Standard Level English Literature, IB Standard Level Environmental Systems and Societies, IB Standard Level French, IB Standard Level German, IB Standard Level History of the Americas, IB Standard Level Mandarin an initio, IB Standard Level Mathematics, IB Standard Level Music, IB Standard Level Painting, IB Standard Level Photography, IB Standard Level Spanish, IB Standard Level Theatre, Theory of Knowledge|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||15|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country Running, Dance, Equestrian, Golf, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||13||24|
|Extracurriculars||Drama Society, Equestrian Club, Fencing Club, Horizons Historical Review|
Club or Organization:
History Movie Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Archery Club, Cadet Band, Co-Ed Soccer, Creative Writing & Publishing, Current Events Roundtable, Film & Video Club, Hiking Club, Outdoorsmen Clu
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Verde Valley School is situated among the majestic mountains of Sedona, Arizona, providing inspiration for artistic and musical expression. The natural beauty surrounding the campus also serves as a natural classroom for unique field-based learning experiences, including anthropological and geological studies.
- Verde Valley School is one of the few boarding schools in the U.S. to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme curriculum as its sole curriculum to 11th and 12th grade students.
- We have an exciting and diverse studio and performing arts program. Students participate actively in the official governance of our school, and with faculty, perform much the physical labor maintaining the campus.
- Graduates of Verde Valley School are individuals who are ethical, possess a strong sense of personal and social responsibility, are skilled in ways that enable them to participate effectively in community building and decision making, appreciative of the dignity of physical work, open to the discovery and enduring satisfactions of artistic creation, knowledgeable about the depth and range of our shared cultural heritage, prepared for entry into the university of their choice, generous in spirit, mindful of the importance of citizenship and ready to practice its privileges and obligations.
- Verde Valley School accreditations: International Baccalaureate World School, and the North Central Association
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- David Calley '81 - is the co-founder of Southwest Windpower of Flagstaff, a company designed to produce energy at a reasonable cost and to make the knowledge and the equipment available globally.
- Celia Lowenstein ’71 - is an awarding-winning producer/director whose films are regularly shown at international film festivals and screened on television channels around the world. She has lectured in film studies at Oxford University.
- Jean Strouse '63 - is the author of Morgan, American Financier (1999) and Alice James, A Biography (1980), which won the Bancroft Prize in American History and Diplomacy.
- Rick Ridder '71 - is the co-founder of RBI Strategies & Research, consultant to national presidential campaigns.
- Ramona Sakiestewa '66 - is one of Native America's most influential artists
- Chris Horner '71 - is a film-maker, writer, photographer and designer
- Benson K. Whitney '74 - served as the U.S. Ambassador to the Kingdom of Norway under Presidents Bush and Obama
- Carol Tantau '63 - is a leader in domestic violence prevention.
- Phil Noyes '84 - is a documentary filmmaker and producer at PBS.
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Verde Valley School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12, PG | 130 students 37.6 miles1000 Orme School Road, H.C. 63, Box 3040
Mayer, AZ 86333
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
You and I have experienced all kinds of travel glitches. Discuss your child's upcoming travel plans thoroughly so that your child will be safe and in charge of her travel. The result will be peace of mind for you both.