Verde Valley School Photo #2 - Our individualized college counseling program allows students the freedom to find the best fit for them and sends VVS graduates to some of the most recognized colleges and universities in the country, including Dartmouth College, Stanford University, Middlebury College and the University of California system.
Verde Valley School Photo #3 - Nothing beats a Sedona view. Located in the red rocks of Northern Arizona, Verde Valley School is surrounded by national forest land with hiking, biking and horseback riding trails originating from our 170 acre campus. Phoenix, America's 6th largest city, is just 90 miles south.
Verde Valley School Photo #4 - The Equestrian program at Verde Valley School is varied and exciting. Riders can ride both Western and English, on trail rides or in our arena. Our campus herd is 30 strong and riders can also board their horse. The program is open to beginners and experts alike. The horse/rider bond is stressed and riders also assist with important jobs around the barn like giving vaccinations and horse care.
Verde Valley School Photo #5 - Students travel to Malawi, Africa for a month during the summer to distribute over 3,000 pairs of eyeglasses, play with HIV/AID positive children and build schools in villages.
Verde Valley is an International Baccalaureate World School, with the IB curriculum for all students in grades 11 and 12.
Nestled within the beautiful scenery of Sedona, Arizona, Verde Valley offers a rigorous academic program, inspiration for artistic and musical expression, and exciting outdoor activities including one of the most diverse equestrian programs in the West.
Life at VVS revolves around our five guiding principles: academic excellence, world citizenship, environmental stewardship, physical labor and service to others.
- Grades: (Boarding) 9-12
- Enrollment: 120 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $59,535
- Yearly Tuition (Day Students): $23,000
- Acceptance rate: 70%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Definition of Terms | 2023 School Data
Verde Valley School
Boarding School Avg.
Grades Offered (Boarding)
% Students of Color
% International Students
% Students Boarding
Average SAT Score
* National Avg. »View
Average ACT score
*National Avg. »View
Offers Post-Grad Year
Academics and Faculty
Classroom Dress Code
Average Class Size
* National Avg. »18
Student : Teacher Ratio
# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered
Number of IB Courses Offered
ESL Courses Offered
% Faculty with Advanced Degree
Summer Program Offered
(5 Day Boarding)
(5 Day Boarding)
% Students on Financial Aid
Avg. Financial Aid Grant
Merit Scholarships Offered
None / Rolling
Average Percentile SSAT
Director of Admissions
Associate Director of Admissions
AP / Advanced Courses
# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered
IB Higher Level Biology, IB Higher Level Ceramics, IB Higher Level Drawing, IB Higher Level English Literature, IB Higher Level French , IB Higher Level German, IB Higher Level History of the Americas, IB Higher Level Mathematics , IB Higher Level Music, IB Higher Level Painting, IB Higher Level Photography, IB Higher Level Social and Cultural Anthropology , IB Higher Level Spanish, IB Higher Level Theatre, IB Standard Level Ceramics, IB Standard Level English Literature, IB Standard Level Environmental Systems and Societies, IB Standard Level French, IB Standard Level German, IB Standard Level History of the Americas, IB Standard Level Mandarin an initio, IB Standard Level Mathematics, IB Standard Level Music, IB Standard Level Painting, IB Standard Level Photography, IB Standard Level Spanish, IB Standard Level Theatre, Theory of Knowledge
# Interscholastic Sports Offered
Total Extracurricular Organizations
10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)
- Verde Valley School is situated among the majestic mountains of Sedona, Arizona, providing inspiration for artistic and musical expression. The natural beauty surrounding the campus also serves as a natural classroom for unique field-based learning experiences, including anthropological and geological studies.
- Verde Valley School is one of the few boarding schools in the U.S. to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme curriculum as its sole curriculum to 11th and 12th grade students.
- We have an exciting and diverse studio and performing arts program. Students participate actively in the official governance of our school, and with faculty, perform much the physical labor maintaining the campus.
- Graduates of Verde Valley School are individuals who are ethical, possess a strong sense of personal and social responsibility, are skilled in ways that enable them to participate effectively in community building and decision making, appreciative of the dignity of physical work, open to the discovery and enduring satisfactions of artistic creation, knowledgeable about the depth and range of our shared cultural heritage, prepared for entry into the university of their choice, generous in spirit, mindful of the importance of citizenship and ready to practice its privileges and obligations.
- Verde Valley School accreditations: International Baccalaureate World School, and the North Central Association
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- David Calley '81 - is the co-founder of Southwest Windpower of Flagstaff, a company designed to produce energy at a reasonable cost and to make the knowledge and the equipment available globally.
- Celia Lowenstein ’71 - is an awarding-winning producer/director whose films are regularly shown at international film festivals and screened on television channels around the world. She has lectured in film studies at Oxford University.
- Jean Strouse '63 - is the author of Morgan, American Financier (1999) and Alice James, A Biography (1980), which won the Bancroft Prize in American History and Diplomacy.
- Rick Ridder '71 - is the co-founder of RBI Strategies & Research, consultant to national presidential campaigns.
- Ramona Sakiestewa '66 - is one of Native America's most influential artists
- Chris Horner '71 - is a film-maker, writer, photographer and designer
- Benson K. Whitney '74 - served as the U.S. Ambassador to the Kingdom of Norway under Presidents Bush and Obama
- Carol Tantau '63 - is a leader in domestic violence prevention.
- Phil Noyes '84 - is a documentary filmmaker and producer at PBS.
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Verde Valley School cost?
Verde Valley School's tuition is approximately $59,535 for boarding students and $23,000 for day students.
What schools are Verde Valley School often compared to?
Verde Valley Schoolis often viewed alongside schools like The Orme School by visitors of our site.
What is the acceptance rate of Verde Valley School?
The acceptance rate of Verde Valley School is 70%, which is higher than the boarding school average of 60%.
Who are famous alumni from Verde Valley School?
Verde Valley School famous alumni include: David Calley '81, Celia Lowenstein ’71, Jean Strouse '63, Rick Ridder '71, Ramona Sakiestewa '66, Chris Horner '71, Benson K. Whitney '74, Carol Tantau '63 and Phil Noyes '84.
What sports does Verde Valley School offer?
Verde Valley School offers 15 interscholastic sports: Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Equestrian, Golf, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee and Volleyball.
What is Verde Valley School's ranking?
When is the application deadline for Verde Valley School?
The application deadline for Verde Valley School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Alumni Reviews Review School
Verde Valley School Alumni #1
Class of 2017
Class of 2017
Verde Valley School is a very unique day and boarding school in Sedona, AZ. Throughout my four years, 2 of being a day student and 2 of boarding, I fell in love with VVS and. . .
Verde Valley School Alumni #2
Class of 1980
Class of 1980
Verde Valley School, founded in 1948 is located in a secluded valley twelve miles from Sedona, Arizona - so its location is both unique and magnificent. From its inception, Verde Valley has been focused on. . .
Verde Valley School Alumni #3
Class of 1982
Class of 1982
Verde Valley School offered me deep academic challenges rooted in student choice and responsibility. The school and EVERYONE in it served to open my eyes to the diversity and possible integration of people and disciplines. . .
Show more reviews (9 reviews)
Nurturing Futures: A Journey through Boarding at Haut-Lac School in Switzerland
Nestled in the hills overlooking Lake Geneva in the French-speaking part of Switzerland lies an educational gem that embodies a unique blend of academic excellence, cultural richness and a profound sense of community. Founded over 30 years ago, Haut-Lac International Bilingual Day and Boarding School is now home to both 600 day students and a maximum of 30 boarders from around the world.
What To Wear at Your Job Interview
Navigating job interviews can be stressful, but knowing what to wear shouldn't be. Our comprehensive guide covers the essential dress code tips for men and women interviewing at boarding schools. Make your first impression count with style and professionalism.
Navigating the Modern Maze: Emerging Challenges for Boarding Schools
Explore the pressing challenges facing boarding schools, from marketing difficulties and rising insurance costs to facility maintenance and recruitment of competent trustees and teachers. This article delves into these complex issues and proposes innovative strategies to overcome them.