Verde Valley School
Write, score and perform an original musical. Create your own violin in welding class and play it with the VVS rock or jazz band! Our approach to the arts is student-centered, performance-based and quite unique.
Our individualized college counseling program allows students the freedom to find the best fit for them and sends VVS graduates to some of the most recognized colleges and universities in the country, including Dartmouth College, Stanford University, Middlebury College and the University of California system.
Nothing beats a Sedona view. Located in the red rocks of Northern Arizona, Verde Valley School is surrounded by national forest land with hiking, biking and horseback riding trails originating from our 170 acre campus. Phoenix, America's 6th largest city, is just 90 miles south.
The Equestrian program at Verde Valley School is varied and exciting. Riders can ride both Western and English, on trail rides or in our arena. Our campus herd is 30 strong and riders can also board their horse. The program is open to beginners and experts alike. The horse/rider bond is stressed and riders also assist with important jobs around the barn like giving vaccinations and horse care.
- Verde Valley is an International Baccalaureate World School, with the IB curriculum for all students in grades 11 and 12.
- Nestled within the beautiful scenery of Sedona, Arizona, Verde Valley offers a rigorous academic program, inspiration for artistic and musical expression, and exciting outdoor activities including one of the most diverse equestrian programs in the West.
- Life at VVS revolves around our five guiding principles: academic excellence, world citizenship, environmental stewardship, physical labor and service to others.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Northern Arizona University I loved going to this school. You really feel connected with the teachers since the class size is around 10-13. The faculty also ends up being your coaches and even your dorm parents. While I. . .
- Stanford University This school is quite possibly located in one of the most scenic places in the country, and the outdoor activities available to the students of VVS make it an incredible place. . .
- School of the Museum of Fine Arts/ Tufts University The geographical location of VVS is the most obvious aspect that sets it apart from other schools. When I first visited it, all of my mental images of what boarding schools are like were. . .
- Reed College Verde Valley School (VVS) is located in the most stunning setting that one could imagine, nested between the Sedona red rocks, juniper trees, and amazing varieties of cacti. The buildings are simple yet functional in. . .
- George Washington University Verde Valley's focus on a person as a global citizen greatly affected me and has stayed with me through today, both in my college degree and my profession. Through reaching to attain the vision. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Verde Valley School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||175 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||120 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1700||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||22||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||26||16|
|Number of IB Courses Offered||29||-|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$4 million||$16 million|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$15,000||$22,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||80%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Sean Fagan|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Sarah D'Angelo|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||26||16|
|Courses||IB Higher Level Biology, IB Higher Level Ceramics, IB Higher Level Drawing, IB Higher Level English Literature, IB Higher Level French , IB Higher Level German, IB Higher Level History of the Americas, IB Higher Level Mathematics , IB Higher Level Music, IB Higher Level Painting, IB Higher Level Photography, IB Higher Level Social and Cultural Anthropology , IB Higher Level Spanish, IB Higher Level Theatre, IB Standard Level Ceramics, IB Standard Level English Literature, IB Standard Level Environmental Systems and Societies, IB Standard Level French, IB Standard Level German, IB Standard Level History of the Americas, IB Standard Level Mandarin an initio, IB Standard Level Mathematics, IB Standard Level Music, IB Standard Level Painting, IB Standard Level Photography, IB Standard Level Spanish, IB Standard Level Theatre, Theory of Knowledge|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||10||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Climbing, Dance, Equestrian, Golf, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||13||23|
|Extracurriculars||Archery Club, Co-Ed Soccer, Equestrian Club, Fencing Club, Hiking Club, Horseback Riding, Mountain Bike Riding, Newspaper/Yearbook, Personal Fitness, Riding, Rock Climbing, Strength & Conditioning, Yoga|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Verde Valley School is situated among the majestic mountains of Sedona, Arizona, providing inspiration for artistic and musical expression. The natural beauty surrounding the campus also serves as a natural classroom for unique field-based learning experiences, including anthropological and geological studies.
- Verde Valley School is one of the few boarding schools in the U.S. to offer the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme curriculum as its sole curriculum to 11th and 12th grade students.
- We have an exciting and diverse studio and performing arts program. Students participate actively in the official governance of our school, and with faculty, perform much the physical labor maintaining the campus.
- Graduates of Verde Valley School are individuals who are ethical, possess a strong sense of personal and social responsibility, are skilled in ways that enable them to participate effectively in community building and decision making, appreciative of the dignity of physical work, open to the discovery and enduring satisfactions of artistic creation, knowledgeable about the depth and range of our shared cultural heritage, prepared for entry into the university of their choice, generous in spirit, mindful of the importance of citizenship and ready to practice its privileges and obligations.
- School accreditations: International Baccalaureate World School, and the North Central Association
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- David Calley '81 - is the co-founder of Southwest Windpower of Flagstaff, a company designed to produce energy at a reasonable cost and to make the knowledge and the equipment available globally.
- Celia Lowenstein ’71 - is an awarding-winning producer/director whose films are regularly shown at international film festivals and screened on television channels around the world. She has lectured in film studies at Oxford University.
- Jean Strouse '63 - is the author of Morgan, American Financier (1999) and Alice James, A Biography (1980), which won the Bancroft Prize in American History and Diplomacy.
- Rick Ridder '71 - is the co-founder of RBI Strategies & Research, consultant to national presidential campaigns.
- Ramona Sakiestewa '66 - is one of Native America's most influential artists
- Chris Horner '71 - is a film-maker, writer, photographer and designer
- Benson K. Whitney '74 - served as the U.S. Ambassador to the Kingdom of Norway under Presidents Bush and Obama
- Carol Tantau '63 - is a leader in domestic violence prevention.
- Phil Noyes '84 - is a documentary filmmaker and producer at PBS.
Submit Review for Verde Valley School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 8-12, PG | 130 students 37.6 miles1000 Orme School Road, H.C. 63, Box 3040
Mayer, AZ 86333
August 17, 2017
As you consider sending your child off to boarding school, you have concerns. Every parent does. We address some of those concerns for you.
August 16, 2017
We explain how to make going off to boarding school your child's idea.
August 05, 2017
Boarding schools are a subset of private schools which many people don't know much about. Here are five points to ponder as you research boarding schools.