The Orme School
5.00 (2 reviews)
1000 Orme School Road, H.C. 63, Box 3040, Mayer, AZ 86333
The Orme School Photo #2 - Our graduates are competent, confident and well positioned to meet the challenges of college and the world beyond.
The Orme School Photo #3 - Three-hundred naturally-beautiful acres in the high Sonoran desert of the Southwest. The historic Orme School is an inspiring college preparatory education and life experience.
The Orme School Photo #4 - Life at Orme provides positive and healthy choices within a framework and philosophy proven successful since 1929.
The Orme School Photo #5 - Sustainability is not a catch phrase here at Orme. It is a commitment that is woven into your daily life, from Sustainability Classes to your meals.
The Orme School Photo #6 - Orme athletics boasts three state championships in the past few years - one in football and two in basketball. Orme also has volleyball, tennis, baseball, cross country, track, softball and soccer.
The Orme School Photo #7 - Each spring, nationally-respected artists travel to The Orme School, as is tradition since 1969, and lead week-long workshops in the creative arts for all students. Workshops may include painting, drawing, stained glass, photography, poetry, creative writing, ceramics, glass blowing, metal arts, sculpture, dance, drama, songwriting, and world music.
The Orme School Photo #8 - Whether you are an experienced equestrian or a novice, all Orme students participate in our legendary Horsemanship Program. Orme Horsemanship, recently featured in Western Horseman Magazine, offers our students the full breadth of equestrian opportunities, educating even the most timid non-horse enthusiast into comfort and confidence in the saddle.
- The Orme School is dedicated to creating the whole student mind, body and spirit.
- A beautiful 300 acre campus is nestled within a 26,000 acre historic, working cattle ranch and 1.25M acres of National Forest land in Northern Arizona.
- The Orme School has been offering opportunities to students for over 80 years.
- In addition to demanding academics, Orme offers athletics, arts, horsemanship, outdoor leadership and a sense of community that is truly unique among boarding schools.
- With an emphasis in sustainability and Southwest studies, our students gain "real world" experience grappling with the challenges of tomorrow.
- The experiences gained at Orme last an entire lifetime. An outstanding summer camp, summer school, and specialty ESL programs complete the year-round offerings here at Orme.
- We also host international as well as other educational and recreational groups seeking outdoor/camping excursions in a Western environment.
- First and foremost a college preparatory school, we are proud that 100% of our graduating students are accepted to college.
- Please call Ross Sanner to begin a conversation on how Orme's Greatness may be the best fit for your child.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- At orme still Well to start off the Orme school is so much different then normal boarding school. I have went to about 4 different boarding schools. When I found Orme, I knew it was going to be. . .
- Arizona state Orme is an amazing place to meet students from not only different states but different countries as well. In the short year I have attended Orme I have met so many amazing people staff and. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|The Orme School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||8-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||300 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||154 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1230||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||9 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$875|
(Per week )
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
(Books included )
|Tuition international students||$48,000||$49,375|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$18,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Jessica Calmes|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||17|
|Courses||AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry , AP Computer Science A , AP English Language and Composition, AP Englishness Literature and Composition , AP European History, AP Physics , AP Spanish, AP Spanish Language , AP Spanish Literature , AP Statistics , AP United States Government , AP US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Equestrian, Football, Riding, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||10||24|
|Extracurriculars||Caravan, Summer School and Camp|
Club or Organization:
4-H, Equestrian Club, International Club, Robotics Club, Ski Club, Technology Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
- A legacy of Excellence, Tradition and Character Since 1929
- The Orme School has been steeped in tradition and success. From our rigorous academic program, boasting AP course offerings in all subjects, to 47 years of our amazing Fine Arts Festival, it is no wonder that The Orme School has been named one of the top 20 boarding schools in the United States http://www.thebestschools.org/features/best-boarding-schools-in-us/.
- Thanks to a 1.5 million dollar grant from the Burpee Foundation, Orme has recently seen the addition of a large garden, a 200 tree fruit orchard, a table grape vineyard and composting operations. Students take an active role in the cultivation of their food, as well as the preparation. All food served at Orme is grown on site or locally sourced and prepared using all natural, preservative-free ingredients.
- The Orme Difference
- The center of Orme`s marque academic program is the small, intimate class size. Typical classes do not exceed 10 students, giving each student ample opportunities to learn in an interactive, non-intimidating environment. Class buildings are spread among Orme`s 300 acre campus and include Math, Science, and Humanities buildings along with a Metal Working workshop, Glass Blowing workshop, Music classrooms and an Art Annex. Every day, Orme students also experience the expansion of their classrooms into the outdoors, whether it be Biology class studying the effects of the drought in Ash Creek or English Literature conducting a poetry reading among the shade of the fruit trees.
- Learning does not stop at the end of the academic day for Orme students. After school students are offered a variety of activities from riding one of the 40 horses, to trying a new sport on one of our all-inclusive sports teams. For students interested in learning more diverse skills, they can take part in preparing meals in our dining facility or experience the thrill of acting on stage in our theatre club. Orme athletic facilities include: a state of the art equestrian facility with a full, lighted rodeo arena, an English arena, numerous paddocks and warm-up pens, a lighted football and soccer field, professional-grade baseball and softball fields, a competition length swimming pool, tennis courts, and an enclosed gymnamsium.
- Experience the Southwest
- Campus life at Orme offers unique opportunities for students to bond with one another. Each room features 1-2 beds with a shared bathroom between two rooms. The expansive campus allows for dormitories to be separated by sex, allowing privacy and creating a safe environment for all students. Weekends are filled with amazing opportunities to explore Arizona through our Culture Credit and Outdoor Learning trips. On any given weekend you can find students engaging in activities such as volunteering, skiing, attend a gallery opening, or camping. The temperate climate at Orme allows for a variety of year-round offerings.
- Orme is a school where students thrive and diversify, while being carefully coached along the way. Do you see yourself at Orme? Admissions are accepted on a rolling basis. Learn more at our website, www.ormeschool.org
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- The Orme School accreditations: North Cental Accreditation, National Association of Independent Schools, The Association of Boarding Schools, Western Association of Boarding Schools, Cum Laude Society, National Honors Society
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Orme School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Learning about a school from its website and social media pages is useful as you decide which school to choose. So is hearing what the school's alumni say about their alma mater.
The typical three-month-long summer break gives juniors and seniors a great opportunity to explore a variety of situations and options.
Your graduates can do everything on their smartphones with one click. An alumni relations app will allow them to click a gift to their alma mater. More here.