The Orme School
5.00 (2 reviews)
Tel: (928) 632-7601
1000 Orme School Road, H.C. 63, Box 3040, Mayer, AZ 86333
The Orme School Photo #2 - Whether you are an experienced equestrian or a novice, all Orme students participate in our legendary Horsemanship Program. Orme Horsemanship, recently featured in Western Horseman Magazine, offers our students the full breadth of equestrian opportunities, educating even the most timid non-horse enthusiast into comfort and confidence in the saddle.
The Orme School Photo #3 - Orme's campus has been naturally socially distanced since 1929. All faculty live on campus and day student enrollment is extremely limited. An on-campus nurse ensures that student and faculty health can be monitored daily.
The Orme School Photo #4 - Our graduates are competent, confident and well positioned to meet the challenges of college and the world beyond.
The Orme School Photo #5 - Life at Orme provides positive and healthy choices within a framework and philosophy proven successful since 1929.
The Orme School Photo #6 - Sustainability is not a catch phrase here at Orme. It is a commitment that is woven into your daily life, from Sustainability Classes to your meals.
The Orme School Photo #7 - Orme athletics boasts three state championships in the past few years - one in football and two in basketball. Orme also has volleyball, tennis, baseball, cross country, track, softball and soccer.
The Orme School Photo #8 - Each spring, nationally-respected artists travel to The Orme School, as is tradition since 1969, and lead week-long workshops in the creative arts for all students. Workshops may include painting, drawing, stained glass, photography, poetry, creative writing, ceramics, glass blowing, metal arts, sculpture, dance, drama, songwriting, and world music.
Dear Parents and Students - Despite the uncertain times brought on us by the Covid-19 pandemic, we are proud to share that The Orme School is actively providing in-person education in a safe and familiar environment for all our new and returning students. THE APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR THE SPRING SEMESTER (commencing on 1/16/2021) IS DECEMBER 31. Financial Assistance is need-based and is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
The application process is simple and speedy. You can start by: Sending an inquiry through this website
Scheduling an in-person campus tour or a zoom call with our admissions office at email@example.com
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- At orme still Well to start off the Orme school is so much different then normal boarding school. I have went to about 4 different boarding schools. When I found Orme, I knew it was going to be. . .
- Arizona state Orme is an amazing place to meet students from not only different states but different countries as well. In the short year I have attended Orme I have met so many amazing people staff and. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|The Orme School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||8-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||300 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||144 students||306 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1280||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Jeans, flannels and t shirts are common. All students observe appropriate and respectful attire.)
|Average Class Size||9 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$875|
(Per week )
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
(Books included )
(Our rigorous and secure COVID19 education platform currently allows full-board students only. If you are interested in Orme for the 2021-2022 school year as a day-student, please contact our office at 928.632.7601.)
|Tuition international students||$49,500||$53,975|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$25,000|
(Financial aid is need-based, and is on a first)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Jessica Calmes|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Dilek Aksu|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||18|
|Courses||AP Art History, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry , AP Computer Science A , AP English Language and Composition, AP Englishness Literature and Composition , AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP Physics , AP Spanish, AP Spanish Language , AP Spanish Literature , AP Statistics , AP United States Government , AP US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Drill Team, Equestrian, Football, Mountain Biking, Riding, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||14||24|
Club or Organization:
Art Club, Equestrian Club, Gardening Club, Girls Empowerment, Mathletes, Outdoor Leadership, Robotics Club, Summer School and Camp, Technology Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Caravan, International Club, Sustainability Club
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
Established in 1929, The Orme School is a unique, college-preparatory, co-educational boarding and day school for grades 8 through 12 & PG.
- An hour north of Phoenix, the Orme campus is set on a naturally socially distanced 26,000-acre cattle ranch in the high desert of Arizona set on 300 acres in rural Arizona.
- Our mission is to develop sound character, scholastic growth, and intellectual curiosity, as well as, to enable students to succeed at the college of their choice, and in life.
- From the academic program to residential and community life, the guiding principles of Excellence, Tradition, and Character are applied to every facet of an Orme education.
- Our community is structured, supportive, and diverse. We awaken untapped potential, encourage inner resourcefulness, freedom of expression, integrity, respect, and accountability for self and others.
- Sustainability Since the school`s founding, sustainability has always been at the core of life at Orme. Our beautiful 300-acre campus supports an incredibly biodiverse community of plants and wildlife, in addition to the vibrant community of people. From taking sustainability-focused courses to spending a chores period in the garden or kitchen for our Farm-to-Table program, or simply sorting food waste into the compost bins in Founders, students participate daily in a variety of opportunities that teach them how to contribute to and positively impact the environment and their community
- Horsemanship Students can learn to ride, take care of horses, and trail ride throughout the Orme Ranch and Prescott National Forest. Students work as cowhands on the Orme Ranch during roundups. Our Horsemanship Team participates in English and Western competitions, including Gymkhanas, Hunter/Jumper, Barrel Racing, Roping, and Team Sorting.
- Caravan Outdoor adventures, or Caravans, are a core tradition, building confidence, character, and leadership skills. Experiential and outdoor educational goals are achieved throughout the year with the after-school, weekend, and weeklong outdoor adventures including mountain biking, climbing, kayaking, hiking, fishing, skiing, backpacking, camping, surfing, archeological digs, and horseback riding. ATHLETICS All students are welcome to participate in the Canyon Athletic Association (CAA) in Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track & Field, and Volleyball. Students also enjoy Coffee Houses, recitals, and Debate, and Mathletes Teams.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- The Orme School accreditations: AdvancED Accreditation, National Association of Independent Schools, The Association of Boarding Schools, Western Association of Boarding Schools, Cum Laude Society, National Honors Society
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Orme School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Families who live outside the United States and who are not American citizens or Permanent Residents have to deal with a couple of additional steps when thinking of sending their children to an American boarding school.
Determining which programs are 'must haves' is an important part of choosing the right boarding school for your child.
Are you wondering whether boarding school is right for your child? Answer these five questions and you will be better able to determine whether it is.