The Orme School
Quick Stats (2023)
- Grades: (Boarding) 8-12, PG
- Enrollment: 105 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $51,500
- Acceptance rate: 70%
- Average class size: 9 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
The Orme School ranks among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 294 schools) for:
Academics and Faculty
Collared Shirts, Jeans, Casual
(Orme School tuition includes textbooks, additional evening academic support by faculty, and most after-school activities and sports. Tuition also covers Orme’s specialty signature programs, such as Orme Games and Fine Arts Festival.)
(Financial aid is need-based)
AP / Advanced Courses
Club or Organization:
Equestrian Club, Gardening Club, International Club, Mathletes, Outdoor Leadership, Robotics Club, Summer School and Camp, Technology Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Drama Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Caravan, Sustainability Club
Established in 1929, The Orme School is a unique, college-preparatory, co-educational boarding and day school for grades 8 through 12 & PG.
- An hour north of Phoenix, the Orme campus is set on a naturally socially distanced 26,000-acre cattle ranch in the high desert of Arizona set on 300 acres in rural Arizona.
- Our mission is to develop sound character, scholastic growth, and intellectual curiosity, as well as, to enable students to succeed at the college of their choice, and in life.
- From the academic program to residential and community life, the guiding principles of Excellence, Tradition, and Character are applied to every facet of an Orme education.
- Our community is structured, supportive, and diverse. We awaken untapped potential, encourage inner resourcefulness, freedom of expression, integrity, respect, and accountability for self and others.
- Sustainability Since the school`s founding, sustainability has always been at the core of life at Orme. Our beautiful 300-acre campus supports an incredibly biodiverse community of plants and wildlife, in addition to the vibrant community of people. From taking sustainability-focused courses to spending a chores period in the garden or kitchen for our Farm-to-Table program, or simply sorting food waste into the compost bins in Founders, students participate daily in a variety of opportunities that teach them how to contribute to and positively impact the environment and their community
- Horsemanship Students can learn to ride, take care of horses, and trail ride throughout the Orme Ranch and Prescott National Forest. Students work as cowhands on the Orme Ranch during roundups. Our Horsemanship Team participates in English and Western competitions, including Gymkhanas, Hunter/Jumper, Barrel Racing, Roping, and Team Sorting.
- Caravan Outdoor adventures, or Caravans, are a core tradition, building confidence, character, and leadership skills. Experiential and outdoor educational goals are achieved throughout the year with the after-school, weekend, and weeklong outdoor adventures including mountain biking, climbing, kayaking, hiking, fishing, skiing, backpacking, camping, surfing, archeological digs, and horseback riding. ATHLETICS All students are welcome to participate in the Canyon Athletic Association (CAA) in Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track & Field, and Volleyball. Students also enjoy Coffee Houses, recitals, and debate, and Mathletes Teams.ARTS Orme is a fantastic environment for teaching (and learning) art. For decades, international artists have been drawn to the beautiful Southwest to draw and paint, and Orme is nestled right in the middle of their geographic and aesthetic inspiration. Your Fine Art curriculum credits may also be earned in Music with individualized and small group instruction provided in piano and guitar, whether you are a beginner or accomplished in either instrument.
- LD types supported: Mild to moderate learning differences
- The Orme School accreditations: AdvancED Accreditation, National Association of Independent Schools, The Association of Boarding Schools, Western Association of Boarding Schools, Cum Laude Society, National Honors Society
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does The Orme School cost?
The Orme School's tuition is approximately $51,500 for boarding students.
What schools are The Orme School often compared to?
The Orme Schoolis often viewed alongside schools like Verde Valley School by visitors of our site.
What is the acceptance rate of The Orme School?
The acceptance rate of The Orme School is 70%, which is higher than the boarding school average of 58%.
What sports does The Orme School offer?
The Orme School offers 20 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Equestrian, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Paddle Tennis, Riding, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee and Volleyball.
Does The Orme School offer a summer program?
Yes, The Orme School offers a summer program. Visit their summer school page for more information.
What is The Orme School's ranking?
The Orme School ranks among the top 20 boarding schools for High percentage of boarding students and Low student:teacher ratio.
When is the application deadline for The Orme School?
The application deadline for The Orme School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).
Alumni Reviews Review School
Class of 2019
At orme still
Class of 2018