The Orme School
5.00 (2 reviews)
1000 Orme School Road, H.C. 63, Box 3040, Mayer, AZ 86333
The Orme School Photo #2 - Whether you are an experienced equestrian or a novice, all Orme students participate in our legendary Horsemanship Program. Orme Horsemanship, recently featured in Western Horseman Magazine, offers our students the full breadth of equestrian opportunities, educating even the most timid non-horse enthusiast into comfort and confidence in the saddle.
The Orme School Photo #3 - Orme's campus has been naturally socially distanced since 1929. All faculty live on campus and day student enrollment is extremely limited. An on-campus nurse ensures that student and faculty health can be monitored daily.
The Orme School Photo #4 - Our graduates are competent, confident and well positioned to meet the challenges of college and the world beyond.
The Orme School Photo #5 - Life at Orme provides positive and healthy choices within a framework and philosophy proven successful since 1929.
The Orme School Photo #6 - Sustainability is not a catch phrase here at Orme. It is a commitment that is woven into your daily life, from Sustainability Classes to your meals.
The Orme School Photo #7 - Orme athletics boasts three state championships in the past few years - one in football and two in basketball. Orme also has volleyball, tennis, baseball, cross country, track, softball and soccer.
The Orme School Photo #8 - Each spring, nationally-respected artists travel to The Orme School, as is tradition since 1969, and lead week-long workshops in the creative arts for all students. Workshops may include painting, drawing, stained glass, photography, poetry, creative writing, ceramics, glass blowing, metal arts, sculpture, dance, drama, songwriting, and world music.
- Opening in person on August 24, 2020 for the 2020-21 school year. Welcome to The Orme School.
- Orme is one of the most unique boarding schools in the country.
- Set on a naturally socially distanced 26,000 acre cattle ranch in the high desert of Arizona, Orme has been providing a rigorous college-preparatory education to students from around the world since 1929. Students seek out an Orme education for a variety of reasons.
- Many come for the specialty programs such as Horsemanship, Sustainability and Outdoor Education, while others come seeking the small, interactive, experiential learning environment.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- At orme still Well to start off the Orme school is so much different then normal boarding school. I have went to about 4 different boarding schools. When I found Orme, I knew it was going to be. . .
- Arizona state Orme is an amazing place to meet students from not only different states but different countries as well. In the short year I have attended Orme I have met so many amazing people staff and. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|The Orme School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||8-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||300 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||154 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1280||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Jeans and t shirts are common)
|Average Class Size||9 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$875|
(Per week )
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
(Books included )
|Tuition international students||$49,500||$51,800|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$18,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Jessica Calmes|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||18|
|Courses||AP Art History, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry , AP Computer Science A , AP English Language and Composition, AP Englishness Literature and Composition , AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP Physics , AP Spanish, AP Spanish Language , AP Spanish Literature , AP Statistics , AP United States Government , AP US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Drill Team, Equestrian, Football, Mountain Biking, Riding, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||14||24|
Club or Organization:
Art Club, Equestrian Club, Gardening Club, Girls Empowerment, Mathletes, Outdoor Leadership, Robotics Club, Summer School and Camp, Technology Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Caravan, International Club, Sustainability Club
- Naturally Socially Distanced Since 1929 - Opening in person August 24, 2020 for the 2020-21 school year.
- Welcome to The Orme School. Orme is one of the most unique boarding schools in the country. Set on a 26,000 acre cattle ranch in the high desert of Arizona, Orme has been providing a rigorous college-preparatory education to students from around the world since 1929.
- There is no one Orme student, just as there is no one Orme experience, but here at Orme we promise all students that you will be accepted for who you are, explore and expand what interests you and prepare to be the person you were meant to be. Students seek out an Orme education for a variety of reasons. Many come for the specialty programs such as Horsemanship, Sustainability and Outdoor Education, while others come seeking the small, interactive, experiential learning environment. Faculty Advisors help students every step of the way, assisting in developing an academic curriculum to meet each student's individual educational needs, while providing support and guidance outside the classroom as well.
- Learning at Orme is active and hands-on. We expect students to participate. Whether it's in the classroom, on the stage behind a podium, in a student-run club or activity or on the playing field, court or arena- students get involved. Orme students embrace the vast expanses of natural resources on campus and in our backyard and faculty integrate these resources into the curriculum. It is not uncommon to see a group of students and faculty hiking to the nearby Native American Ruins or riding horses under the lights of the Rodeo Arena on a Friday night. Orme's campus epitomizes the American Southwest and embraces the ranching roots of the school, while the 4000 foot elevation offers a temperate year-round climate.
- Orme's student body is characterized by a diverse array of people with different backgrounds, experiences and ideas. Be yourself at Orme and be respected for who you are!
- By graduation, Orme students are prepared with the tools and self-confidence needed to fulfill their potential. Over the last several years, Orme graduates have been accepted into some of the top colleges and universities in the world such as MIT, Cornell, NYU, Purdue, Renssellaer Polytechnic Institute, Wellesley, University of Rochester and more. Alumni often remark on how prepared and confident they were in college as a direct result of their Orme education.
- Are you ready to awaken your full potential and become an Orme Warrior? School is beginning in person on August 24th. Space is limited, but applications are still being accepted on a rolling basis for students entering Grades 8-12. Financial Assistance is available on a need basis.To begin the application process, please send an inquiry through this website. Please email our admissions office at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a Zoom information session. Our admissions team is excited to have the opportunity to help guide you through the enrollment process, answer any questions you have and share more about the precautions and procedures we have in place to ensure the safety of our community during the COVID Pandemic.
- On behalf all of us at Orme, welcome to our school, we look forward to speaking soon!
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- The Orme School accreditations: AdvancED Accreditation, National Association of Independent Schools, The Association of Boarding Schools, Western Association of Boarding Schools, Cum Laude Society, National Honors Society
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Orme School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Four reasons shaped our decision. I share these and other insights with you.
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
What are you allowed to bring to boarding school? What are you not allowed to bring to boarding school? Answers to those questions and more.