804 Dr RK Wallace Drive
Fairfield, IA 52556
Fairfield, IA 52556
In 2014 the Maharishi School Boys Tennis Team won the Historic Triple Crown State Championship ??the only Iowa school to win the state championship three times in all 3 Championship categories: ?? 1st place, 1A State Singles ?? 1st place, 1A Doubles ?? 1st place, 1A State Team Other sports offered include soccer, golf, basketball, track and volleyball.
Maharishi School is a non-sectarian, PS-12, day and boarding school with students from over 30 countries. The School offers a rigorous college preparatory curriculum accompanied by the innovative and progressive technology called Consciousness-Based Education. Daily practice of the Transcendental Meditation program develops students' full potential by providing deep rest, increasing brain wave coherence, ability to focus, and learning ability.
Boarding students live with host families from the school community. This provides a full immersion into American life, and students enjoy being part of a family atmosphere while away from home. Host families are carefully chosen from the school community and attend regular meetings at school to stay updated and discuss best practices as host parents.
School motto is 'High Achievements and Low Stress.' Students focus on staying happy and rested while participating in rigorous sports and competitions and strong college preparatory curriculum.
Our students are very enthusiastic about the Iowa High School Speech Association Competition. Over our 30 year history students won: 17 state championships and tied for most wins in the state; 2010: Critic?'s Choice 1st Place for Solo Mime
Numerous Science awards include: Grand Prize Eastern Iowa Science and Engineering Fair. Awards at Science and Technology Fair of Iowa include: Overall Senior High Project Champion Category of Computer Science: 1st First Place Intel Excellence in Computer Science Award Yale Science & Engineering Association Award For a complete list of awards and achievements visit our website: http://www.maharishischooliowa.org/about-us/summary-of-achievements/
Solar panels help power school as part of Sustainable Living component. In addition students participate in a full Seed to Plate program, with a 4100 square foot greenhouse for growing organic vegetables, an edible school yard with apple and pear trees and strawberries, and a full professional kitchen that can accommodate 30 students at a time in Culinary Arts Class.
Destination Imagination, international competition: In 2014 six teams qualified to compete at the international competition, winning 8th place at Globals, senior level, visual art and design challenge; and 3rd place Instant Challenge Globals vs. 68 national and international champions In 30-year history: 50 state champions, 3 Global Finals 1st place winners, 29 Top Ten awards, most wins in State 2000-2011.
- Maharishi School, Fairfield, Iowa, is a school like no other.
- Maharishi School provides a transformative Preschool-12 th grade, day and boarding experience in a safe and healthy environment which develops students' ability to know themselves, think deeply, unleash their creativity, and succeed.
- Maharishi School is a non-sectarian, co-ed school with students from over 30 countries. The School offers a college preparatory curriculum and augments this with an interdisciplinary course called Science of Creative Intelligence that cultivates deeper levels of thinking, knowledge and relationships.
- Students start and end their day with the meditation (Transcendental Meditation) and yoga.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Maharishi University of Management I went to a lot of other schools before Maharishi School, and what stood out the most for me at Maharishi School was the emphasis on personal development. Instead of just filling up my brain. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Maharishi School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-12||9-12|
|Campus Size||262 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||200 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1805||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1685 - 1925||-|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:11||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||3||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Tuition international students||$42,000||$47,000|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Springli Johnson|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||5||14|
|Sports||Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||10||23|
|Extracurriculars||Boy Scouts, Destination, Environment Club, Girls Club, Improv Club, Interact Club, International Club, Speech Club, Student Ambassador Program, Student Council|
- Maharishi School's innovative programs expand students' alertness and learning capacity. As a result, more than 95% of our graduates accepted at accredited colleges and universities.
- Our student body is comprised of students from all over the world, including China, India, Nepal, Argentina, Sweden, UAE and Pakistan. Boarding students live with host families associated with the school or in boarding houses.
- We are located in a thriving town in southeast Iowa. Fairfield was selected by Smithsonian Magazine as one of the top 20 small towns to visit in the United States.
- All students start and end the day with meditation and yoga. The Transcendental Meditation program is a simple, natural, effortless technique practiced worldwide by people of all religions and cultures. The benefits for students include reduction of stress and anxiety, increased intelligence, and enhanced creativity.
- Honors Courses: The Honors program provides students with an opportunity to experience greater depth of study and cultivate a deeper level of thinking. Honors courses are offered in each core subject (Science, Math, History and English). Students pursuing an Honors track are required to demonstrate scholarly initiative, problem-solving skills and the ability to delve into the fine details of their chosen topic. With an emphasis on depth of understanding, students gain critical and creative thinking skills that set them apart from their peers.
- Our school's Project-Based Learning allows for more time to pursue passions and build a portfolio by having an 70-minute project period each day. Students can select pre-designed projects such as: play production, rocketry, application prototyping, earth to table (ceramics and cooking), performing arts, entrepreneurship, sustainable fashion game show production, songwriting and music production, film production, and food blog. Students are also encouraged to propose their own projects.
- The Science of Creative Intelligence is a supplementary course designed to make all fields of knowledge meaningful. Whether the student is studying art, math, biology, or sustainable living, the Science of Creative Intelligence develops a higher order of thinking skills, because they learn to see deeper, more universal principles in all of their subjects.
- 95% of graduates are admitted to respected colleges and universities, including Harvard, MIT, Stanford, and Johns Hopkins.
- Accredited by Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS). The Iowa Department of Education has awarded grades 7-12 college preparatory status in recognition of the high percentage of graduates accepted at four-year colleges and universities.
- Classes consistently score in the top one percent on national standardized tests.
- 17 National Merit Scholars and 34 National Merit Semi-Finalists during our 30 year history.
- Awards from the 2009-2010 school year include five state championships in Visual Arts, Science, Poetry, Destination ImagiNation and Robotics.
- Nature Explore Classroom (playground) for preschool through 2nd grade certified by the Arbor Day Foundation provides hands-on nature experience
- Sustainable living component with on-site greenhouse and special seed-to-table kitchen. Only organic food is served in the dining hall, complete with a salad bar.
- Day program preschool through 12th grade. Boarding option 9th through 12th grade.
- Board with host families or in boarding houses.
- School accreditations: Small Boarding School Association; Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Wells Butler - creator of celebrity-favorite clothing line
- Jonathan Jarvis - app designer for Google’s Creative Lab, creator of
- Jennie Rothenberg Gritz - senior editor and multimedia editor of TheAtlantic.com
- Heather Chase - author; founder of Models with Conscience, an international group promoting cruelty-free, eco-conscious causes
- Ari Berman - author of Herding Donkeys and political correspondent for The Nation magazine
- Zachary Sluser - director/filmmaker of short films and music videos featured worldwide
- Jonathan Sherr - actor; star of
- Heather Hartnett - Communications Director, David Lynch Foundation
- Geoff Boothby - award-winning director/filmmaker (Wormtooth Nation 2008)
- Cullen Thomas - award-winning film editor and lighting designer (Wormtooth Nation, 2008)
Submit Review for Maharishi School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 7-12| 445 students 595 miles60 Knox Lane
Wheeling, WV 26003
June 19, 2017
There are many reasons to go to boarding school. The academics, the athletics and the extracurricular activities are just a few considerations. Here are the 10 top reasons why you should go to boarding school.
June 03, 2017
Is boarding school right for you? Boarding schools offer a wealth of experiences in both learning and living which will do you well in later life.
June 03, 2017
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.