5.00 (1 review)
804 Dr Robert K Wallace Drive
Fairfield, IA 52556
Fairfield, IA 52556
Maharishi School is a non-sectarian, PS-12, day and boarding school with students from over 30 countries. The School offers a rigorous college preparatory curriculum and programs that expand a student's consciousness. Students start and end each day with yoga and meditation.
In 2014 the Maharishi School Boys Tennis Team won the Historic Triple Crown State Championship, the only Iowa school to win the state championship three times in all 3 Championship categories. Other sports offered include intramural soccer, golf, intramural basketball, track and volleyball.
Destination Imagination, international competition: In 2017, six teams won at the state level and one team placed 1st at the Global Finals competition against over 1500 teams worldwide. They also won the DaVinci Award for outstanding creativity. In 30-year history: 50 state champions, 6 Global Finals 1st place winners, 29 Top Ten awards, most wins in State 2000-2017.
School motto is 'Know Yourself. Think Deeply. Unleash Your Creativity. Succeed.' Students focus on staying happy and rested while participating in rigorous sports and competitions and strong college preparatory curriculum.
Our students love the Iowa High School Speech Association Competition. Over our 30-year history students won 17 state championships and tied for most wins in the state; 2016: Critic's Choice 1st Place for Musical Theater
Project-based learning allows our students to follow their passion and succeed. Learn more about our cool projects: https://maharishischool.org/programs/project-based-learning/
With over 30 countries represented at the school, students are able to build lasting friendships that extend throughout their lives and all over the world.
Boarding students live with host families from the school community. Starting in 2018-19, Maharishi School will have an on-campus dormitory to host up to 30 students.
Solar panels help power school as part of our Sustainable Living component. In addition, students participate in a full Seed to Plate program, with a 4100 square foot greenhouse for growing organic vegetables, an edible schoolyard with apple and pear trees and strawberries, and a full professional kitchen that can accommodate 30 students at a time in Culinary Arts Class.
- Maharishi School, located in Fairfield, Iowa, has the mission of preparing students for college and developing their consciousness.
- Maharishi School provides a Preschool-12th grade, day and boarding experience in a safe and healthy environment which develops students' ability to know themselves, think deeply, unleash their creativity, and succeed.
- Maharishi School is a non-sectarian, co-ed school with students from over 30 countries.
- Students start and end their day with meditation (Transcendental Meditation) and yoga.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Maharishi University of Management I went to a lot of other schools before Maharishi School, and what stood out the most for me at Maharishi School was the emphasis on personal development. Instead of just filling up my brain. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Maharishi School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||7-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-12||5-12|
|Campus Size||262 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||190 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1201||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Khaki or blue pants, white shirt, tie or plaid skirt and white blouse)
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||4||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$1,200|
(2-week boarding camp: $1200, 4-week boarding camp: $2000 )
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
(Covers tuition, room, board and books)
|Tuition international students||$42,000||$47,500|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$12,000|
(Domestic students can receive up to $15000 in aid.)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Springli Johnson|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||4||17|
|Courses||AP Calculus, AP English Language Arts, AP Physics, AP U.S. History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||6||14|
|Sports||Badminton, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||10||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Boy Scouts, Destination, Environment Club, Girls Club, Interact Club, International Club, Student Ambassador Program, Student Council
Arts and Music Programs:
Improv Club, Speech Clu
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Maharishi School's innovative programs expand students' alertness and learning capacity. As a result, more than 95% of our graduates accepted at accredited colleges and universities.
- Our student body is comprised of students from all over the world, including China, India, Nepal, Argentina, Sweden, UAE, and Pakistan. Boarding students live with host families associated with the school or in boarding houses.
- We are located in a thriving town in southeast Iowa. Fairfield was selected by Smithsonian Magazine as one of the top 20 small towns to visit in the United States.
- All students start and end the day with meditation and yoga. The Transcendental Meditation program is a simple, natural, effortless technique practiced worldwide by people of all religions and cultures. The benefits for students include reduction of stress and anxiety, increased intelligence, and enhanced creativity.
- Honors Courses: The Honors program provides students with an opportunity to experience greater depth of study and cultivate a deeper level of thinking. Honors courses are offered in each core subject (Science, Math, History, and English). Students pursuing an Honors track are required to demonstrate scholarly initiative, problem-solving skills and the ability to delve into the fine details of their chosen topic. With an emphasis on depth of understanding, students gain critical and creative thinking skills that set them apart from their peers.
- Our school's Project-Based Learning allows for more time to pursue passions and build a portfolio by having a 70-minute project period each day. Students can select pre-designed projects such as play production, rocketry, application prototyping, earth-to-table (ceramics and cooking), performing arts, entrepreneurship, sustainable fashion game show production, songwriting, music production, film production, and food blog. Students are also encouraged to propose their own projects.
- 95% of graduates are admitted to respected colleges and universities, including Harvard, MIT, Stanford, and Johns Hopkins.
- Accredited by Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS). The Iowa Department of Education has awarded grades 7-12 college preparatory status in recognition of the high percentage of graduates accepted at four-year colleges and universities.
- Classes consistently score in the top one percent on national standardized tests.
- 18 National Merit Scholars and 34 National Merit Semi-Finalists during our 30-year history.
- Day program preschool through 12th grade. Boarding option 9th through 12th grade.
- Board with host families or on-campus dorm starting in 2018-19
- School accreditations: Small Boarding School Association; Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Heather Hartnett - CEO, Founding Partner: Human Ventures
- Ari Berman - author of Give Us the Ballot: The Modern Struggle for Voting Rights in America and Herding Donkeys. Writer for The Nation magazine
- Jennie Rothenberg Gritz - Senior Editor of Smithsonian Magazine
- Wells Butler - co-founder of Ice Cream Castles (children's contemporary clothing)
- Jonathan Jarvis - Co-Founder & CEO at Token
- Zachary Sluser - director/filmmaker of short films and music videos featured worldwide
- Jonathan Sherr - actor; star of My Darling is a Foreigner, Love in Tokyo, and the web series English Teachers.
- Heather Chase - author; founder of Models with Conscience, an international group promoting cruelty-free, eco-conscious causes
- Geoff Boothby - award-winning director/filmmaker (Wormtooth Nation 2008)
- Cullen Thomas - award-winning film editor and lighting designer (Wormtooth Nation, 2008)
- Submit Review for Maharishi School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 7-12| 437 students 595 miles60 Knox Lane
Wheeling, WV 26003
May 10, 2018
The ideas and suggestions offered here are aimed at the small to medium-sized schools which have limited marketing resources.
May 09, 2018
Inevitably at some point while you are looking at boarding schools, your child will ask what it's like living at boarding school. Here are some answers to those questions.
May 03, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.