Parades are an important part of our military tradition. The cadet led corps uses this time-honored custom to recognize special guests, memorial events, and campus ceremonies. Families are welcome and encouraged to attend!
Our newly renovated library and media center is open all day and throughout evening study hours for cadets to use. The entire MA campus is equipped with high speed wireless to provide classrooms, common areas, and dorm rooms with internet service.
Army JROTC is a part of our overall leadership education. Classes, trips to historic venues, use of the outdoor obstacle course, and drill are regular cadet experiences.
On weekends, cadets enjoy field trips throughout the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. Mountain resorts are close by for outings to zipline, ski, and bicycling.
- Massanutten Military Academy is a coeducational college preparatory school for grades 6 through 12 and one postgraduate year.
- We also offer a military format for our summer school program.
- Massanutten Military Academy`s mission is to prepare cadets for their success by delivering structure and a superior educational experience.
- Our unique approach involves an environment built on collaboration, critical thinking, and innovation.
- Our mission is established on the founding motto of the Academy, "Non Nobis Solum" ("Not for ourselves alone"), and based on the principles of Courage, Purity, and Industry.
- Massanutten also offers a non-military Middle School and ESL Option.
- This option allows students to take advantage of our superior academics with military instruction.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Ga College and State University MMA offered me a unique experience of teachers, staff and military leaders who cared. When I arrived at MMA I was a decent student who lacked motivation. MMA gave me the opportunity to become a. . .
- University of Maryland MMA's education included a military school discipline with a small community feeling. Faculty and staff knew each cadet personally and tried to improve the "whole person"; not just the scholastic abilities. I owe my success in life. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Massanutten Military||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||6-12, PG||9-12|
|Religious Affiliation||Non-denom. / Christian||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||40 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||100 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
|Average Class Size||10 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:10||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||9||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$7 million||$16 million|
|Tuition international students||$35,000||$47,000|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Murali Sinnathamby|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||9||16|
|Courses||AP: Biology, AP: English Language & Literature, AP: US Government & Politics, AP: US History, AP: World History, AP: Calculus, AP: Physics, AP: Spanish, AP: Statistics, Honors: Math, Honors: English, Honors: History, Honors: Science|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Football, Lacrosse, Riflery, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||15||23|
|Extracurriculars||Art Club, Backpacking Club, Bagpiping Club, Band, Canoe Club, Color, Community, Drama Club, Fitness Club, Hiking Club, Interact Club, Raiders, Rappelling, Weight, Yearbook/Journalism|
|Year: 2000 - 2005||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|George Mason University||10|
|James Madison University||5|
|Mary Baldwin College||5|
|Virginia Military Institute||5|
|Military Academy at West Point||2|
|George Washington University||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- By attending Massanutten, you'll enjoy challenging academics, JROTC classes, a wide variety of athletic programs, and the opportunity to participate in unique programs like the Highland Bagpipe and Drum band.
- All of our middle school students work with the STEM program "Project Lead the Way". This curriculum is offers hands-on classes in Biomedical, Engineering, Computer Science, Robotics, and Flight/Space. Cadets engage in collaborative, critical thinking lessons and activities while learning about mechanical systems, energy transfer, machine automation, and computer control systems.
- We're a boarding school so we know that an education doesn't just take place in the classroom. We'll help you to create an individualized personal development plan that will focus on your future. An adult mentor will meet with you several times each week to ensure success across campus. Progress is charted and communicated home regularly.
- Come to MMA and make a difference in your own life and the lives of others.
- Please visit us online at www.militaryschool.com or by planning a trip to our historic campus in Woodstock, VA. MMA is just 90 minutes west of Washington, D.C.
- We have a rolling admissions process - give us a call!
- School accreditations: VAIS, SACS, NAIS, TABS, AMCSUS
Submit Review for Massanutten Military Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
June 19, 2017
There are many reasons to go to boarding school. The academics, the athletics and the extracurricular activities are just a few considerations. Here are the 10 top reasons why you should go to boarding school.
June 03, 2017
Is boarding school right for you? Boarding schools offer a wealth of experiences in both learning and living which will do you well in later life.
June 03, 2017
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.