Steamboat Mountain School
5.00 (5 reviews)
Tel: (970) 879-1350
42605 RCR 36
Steamboat Springs, CO 80487
Steamboat Springs, CO 80487
Steamboat Mountain School Photo #3 - Cultivating a strong work ethic and resilient mindset that will last a lifetime. Graduates report that the rigor of the school's academic program prepared them well for the challenges of college coursework and life.
Steamboat Mountain School Photo #4 - Students learn physical reliance and build skills 3 afternoons/week. Examples include mountain biking, rock climbing, alpine, skiing, nordic skiing, hiking, and team sports
Steamboat Mountain School Photo #5 - We believe in the value of selfless service, both locally and globally. All students participate in weekly service work in the Steamboat Springs area.
Steamboat Mountain School Photo #6 - Students travel to southeastern Utah to develop their skills on a more extended and extensive trip. Students backpack, kayak, canyoneer, rock climb, canoe, and mountain bike as they learn about the geology, leadership, and survival skills.
Steamboat Mountain School Photo #7 - We build global understanding in ways no other school can match through our one-of-a-kind Global Immersion Studies program, which includes: Cultural immersion, homestays, adventure, community building, and self-discovery. Four weeks each year in a developing-world country.
Steamboat Mountain School Photo #8 - Students can participate in the competitive ski and snowboard programs in partnership with the acclaimed Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club (SSWSC) www.sswsc.org. This program is reserved for athletes dedicated to their sport. Students in the Ski/Ride program truly demonstrate an ability to work independently, and to achieve at the highest level, both athletically and intellectually.
Steamboat Mountain School is a coeducational K-12 school boarding and day options for high school students. SMS blends academics and adventure, combining an outstanding college-preparatory curriculum with extraordinary programs out of the classroom and around the globe to build students` knowledge, develop their confidence and independence, and prepare them for meaningful and fascinating lives.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- University of Chicago The faculty's drive to push your limits physically and mentally is fantastic preparation for college and life. The small student body lets each faculty member get to know you personally, facilitating the overall learning experience. . .
- University of Puget Sound It might be a bit surprising to most people when I tell them that my graduating class consisted of nine or that my whole school's student body was around 40. Although many people may be. . .
- Bowdoin College I can describe one of the most important and unique aspects about SMS in three letters: GIS. The Global Immersions Studies program is one of the most incredible things I have encountered. As of 2013. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|Steamboat Mountain||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||K-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||147 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||68 students||300 students|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||8 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||4||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
(Addtl $: Global Travel + Competitive Ski/Ride)
(Addtl $: Global Travel + Competitive Ski/Ride)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Pearson Alspach|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||9||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Climbing, Freestyle Skiing, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Ski Jumping, Snowboarding|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- WHO WE ARE:
- Our Mission: Steamboat Mountain School challenges the intellects and imaginations of its students to help them lead productive, creative, and responsible lives in a dynamic, global society. Accredited by The Association of Colorado Independent Schools (ACIS) and a member of both, National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), and The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS).
- Our CommunitySteamboat: Mountain School resides on a 140-acre campus, bordered by 2,000,000 acres of wilderness. Roughly half of our boarding students hail from Colorado, but we also draw students from Alabama, California, Georgia, Maine, Maryland, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, Nevada, Rhode Island, Texas, Washington, Connecticut and Wyoming. We have international students from Belgium, Canada, Mexico, Vietnam and Australia.
- OUR PROGRAMS:Experiential ProgramAt Steamboat Mountain School the experiences that students have in the outdoors and on Global Immersion Studies trips promote self-reliance, grit, cooperation, and collaboration. As students learn to push their physical and mental limits, they gain confidence in their strength and efficacy as human beings.
- Outdoor Program: Each student participates in a three-night orientation camp trip, backpacking in our local wilderness areas and learning Leave-no-trace wilderness ethics every Fall. During Desert Week, students travel to southeastern Utah to develop their skills on a more extended and extensive trip. Students backpack, kayak, canyoneer, rock climb, canoe, and mountain bike.
- Sustainable Agriculture Program: Since its founding, Steamboat Mountain School has been committed to educating students about the environment and empowering students as stewards of our natural resources. Students in various courses have an opportunity to connect with their environment through the food system. Working with the school`s chef as well as area farmers, students devote time to greenhouse care and management and campus food composting.
- Competitive Ski/Ride Program: Students participate in the competitive ski and snowboard programs in partnership with the Steamboat Springs Winter Sports Club (SSWSC). During the fall, they participate in dryland training. In winter, because of the travel schedule inherent in high-level competition, these athletes drop two classes. Then, in April, while the Global Immersion Studies students are traveling, competitive athletes enter a month of intensive two-hour courses to make up the credits. Students who excel in both academics and at their sports truly demonstrate an ability to work independently, and to achieve at the highest level, both athletically and intellectually. 35 students have been members of the US Ski Team, US Snowboarding Team, or X Game Teams. 16 have competed in the Olympics.
- Global Studies (GS): We build global understanding in ways no other school can match. Our one-of-a-kind Global Immersion Studies program combines cultural immersion, adventure, community building, and self-discovery as students spend four weeks each year in a developing-world country. By the time they graduate, students will have spent four months in four different countries on four continents. Starting in December students meet in weekly seminars discussing current topics that are relevant to the countries to which they will travel. These seminars are led by teachers or outside speakers and sometimes involve Skype conversations with people in the countries that the group will visit. In April, the students travel to their destinations for four weeks. All of the trips have community service, adventure, and homestay components.
- Community Service: Steamboat Mountain School believes in the value of selfless service, both locally and globally. All students participate in weekly service work in the Steamboat Springs area, and Global Studies travel incorporates meaningful service projects in the communities to which students travel.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- Steamboat Mountain School accreditations: ACIS, TABS
Profile last updated: 02/25/2021
- Submit Review for Steamboat Mountain School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12 | 110 students 757 miles41 W Santa Clara St.
Arcadia, CA 91007
Thinking about making a major gift to your school? How about endowing a faculty chair? More here.
American boarding schools have always welcomed international students. Rigorous academic programs, extensive athletic programs, and a wide range of extracurricular activities attract students from all over the world.
Admissions to boarding school is a process with many components. The process can be confusing to parents dealing with boarding school admissions for the first time. We guide you through the process.