Annie Wright Schools
Annie Wright Schools Photo #2 - Annie Wright Upper School for Boys, opened as a new division in 2017, offers an extraordinary and enduring educational experience. We celebrate boys, incorporate international standards of excellence and give students the opportunity to do the things they love in authentic and meaningful ways.
Annie Wright Schools Photo #3 - Annie Wright's athletics program stresses competitive team play, physical fitness and good sportsmanship. Athletes have represented Annie Wright at the state level in basketball, volleyball, tennis, cross-country, track and golf. In addition to our athletics program, students are given the time, space and flexibility to pursue outside athletic passions.
Annie Wright Schools Photo #4 - Annie Wright's historic campus is home to 120 boarding students. We offer 5- and 7-day boarding options to students from all around the world.
Annie Wright Schools Photo #5 - Annie Wright Upper School for Girls offers an extraordinary and enduring educational experience. We celebrate girls, incorporate international standards of excellence and give students the opportunity to do the things they love in authentic and meaningful ways.
- Founded in 1884, Annie Wright Schools serve students from age three through high school.
- Annie Wright Lower and Middle Schools offer co-ed programs in Preschool through Grade 8, while separate Upper Schools for boys and girls offer day and boarding options in Grades 9 through 12. Annie Wright is proud to be an International Baccalaureate World School, delivering IB programs in every division.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Grinnell College Annie Wright combines many different teaching styles and personalities into one exceptional faculty. Teachers are incredibly dedicated and with the new IB program just getting started they have more materials than ever to creating interesting. . .
- St. Olaf College The community at Annie Wright makes it such a unique place to spend four years. The international component to the school allows global education to be experienced at a very young age, increasing cultural. . .
- St. Olaf College Annie Wright's small class sizes make it very unique coupled with very interactive, discussion based classes with many international influences.. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Annie Wright Schools||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||10 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||232 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1320||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||25||18|
|Number of IB Courses Offered||24||-|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$25 million||$22 million|
|Tuition international students||$63,270||$53,500|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$10,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / Dec. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Laura Bales|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||25||18|
|Courses||Advanced Pre-Calculus (Honors), Chemistry (Honors), Chinese 2 (Honors), English 2 (Honors), French 2 (Honors), Geometry (Honors, IB Biology 2 (HL), IB Chinese 6 (HL), IB English 3 (HL), IB English 4 (HL), IB ESL 4 (HL), IB ESL 5 (HL), IB Math: Accelerated Pre-Calculus (HL), IB Math: Advanced Calculus 1 (HL), IB Math: Advanced Calculus 2 (HL), IB Music (HL), IB Visual Art 2 (HL), IB World History: 20th Cen. History (HL), IB World History: Americas (HL), Physics (Honors), Spanish 2 (Honors), US History & Civics (Honors)|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||9||16|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Fencing, Golf, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||14||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Annie Writers, Band, Business Club, Chorus, Community Service Leadership, Global Action/Model UN, Orchestra, Robotics, Science Team, Student Government (ASB), Student Newspaper, Theatre360, Visual Art Studio, Yearbook
|Year: 2010 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Washington||15|
|Case Western Reserve University||5|
|George Washington University||4|
|Pacific Lutheran University||4|
|Western Washington University||4|
|Washington University in St. Louis||3|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Annie Wright Schools prepare students extraordinarily well for college, offering small classes, independent-minded peers, and an exceptional faculty. Our challenging curriculum appeals to motivated students with a variety of learning styles, and our learning support department is available to address individual needs. Most importantly, we prepare students for a lifetime of learning, instilling a genuine curiosity and the courage to ask questions, seek creative answers and meet the challenges of a rapidly-changing, complex and culturally-diverse world.
- Annie Wright Schools offer a co-ordinate program, meaning that classes are single-gender, while some elective activites are co-ed.
- Annie Wright Schools accreditations: NAIS, NWAIS, TABS, NCGS, ERB, IBSC
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Sally (Peterson) Atherton, '66 - ED, Assoc for Research in Vision & Ophthalmology
- Diane (Dapper) Freeman, '59 - NASA aerospace ops dev, integration & support
- Betty Garrett-Parks, '36 - Actress, comedian, singer & dancer
- Damani Leech, '90 (Middle School) - COO, International, National Football League (NFL)
- Amy Paulose, '95 - President, AMES International, Inc
- Merrill (Wagner) Ryman, '97 - World-renowned artist
- Lee Skinner, '86 - Dean, Newcomb-Tulane College; Latin Am lit scholar
- Erin (Fletcher) Slayton, 97 - Vice President, HDR
- Pamela Hyde Smith, '63 - United States Ambassador
- Mary (McCarthy) West, '29 - American novelist, critic and political activist
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Annie Wright Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
A boarding school is a business. Is your business on brand?