Annie Wright Schools
Annie Wright Schools Photo #2 - Founded in 1884, Annie Wright Schools are nestled in the beautiful North End neighborhood of Tacoma, Washington, overlooking the Puget Sound. Our historic campus includes an indoor pool, two gyms, science and technology labs, art and music studios, theater, outdoor gardens, play areas, athletic fields and open spaces.
- Founded in 1884, Annie Wright Schools serve students from age three through high school.
- Annie Wright Lower and Middle Schools offer co-ed programs in Preschool through Grade 8, while separate Upper Schools for boys and girls offer day and boarding options in Grades 9 through 12. Annie Wright is proud to be an International Baccalaureate World School, delivering IB programs in every division.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Grinnell College Annie Wright combines many different teaching styles and personalities into one exceptional faculty. Teachers are incredibly dedicated and with the new IB program just getting started they have more materials than ever to creating interesting. . .
- St. Olaf College The community at Annie Wright makes it such a unique place to spend four years. The international component to the school allows global education to be experienced at a very young age, increasing cultural. . .
- St. Olaf College Annie Wright's small class sizes make it very unique coupled with very interactive, discussion based classes with many international influences.. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Annie Wright Schools||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||10 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||232 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1320||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||25||18|
|Number of IB Courses Offered||24||-|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$20 million||$20 million|
|Tuition international students||$63,270||$51,135|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$5,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 3 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Laura Bales|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||25||18|
|Courses||Advanced Pre-Calculus (Honors), Chemistry (Honors), Chinese 2 (Honors), English 2 (Honors), ESL 2 (Honors), ESL 3 (Honors), French 2 (Honors), Geometry (Honors, IB Biology 2 (HL), IB Chinese 6 (HL), IB English 3 (HL), IB English 4 (HL), IB ESL 4 (HL), IB ESL 5 (HL), IB Math: Accelerated Pre-Calculus (HL), IB Math: Advanced Calculus 1 (HL), IB Math: Advanced Calculus 2 (HL), IB Music (HL), IB Visual Art 2 (HL), IB World History: 20th Cen. History (HL), IB World History: Americas (HL), Physics (Honors), Spanish 2 (Honors), US History & Civics (Honors)|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||7||16|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Golf, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||14||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Annie Writers, Band, Business Club, Chorus, Community Service Leadership, Global Action/Model UN, Orchestra, Robotics, Science Team, Student Government (ASB), Student Newspaper, Theatre360, Visual Art Studio, Yearbook
|Year: 2010 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Washington||15|
|Case Western Reserve University||5|
|George Washington University||4|
|Pacific Lutheran University||4|
|Western Washington University||4|
|Washington University in St. Louis||3|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Annie Wright Schools prepare students extraordinarily well for college, offering small classes, independent-minded peers, and an exceptional faculty. Our challenging curriculum appeals to motivated students with a variety of learning styles, and our learning support department is available to address individual needs. Most importantly, we prepare students for a lifetime of learning, instilling a genuine curiosity and the courage to ask questions, seek creative answers and meet the challenges of a rapidly-changing, complex and culturally-diverse world.
- Annie Wright Schools offer a co-ordinate program, meaning that classes are single-gender, while some elective activites are co-ed.
- Annie Wright Schools accreditations: NAIS, NWAIS, TABS, NCGS, ERB, IBSC
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Sally (Peterson) Atherton, '66 - ED, Assoc for Research in Vision & Ophthalmology
- Diane (Dapper) Freeman, '59 - NASA aerospace ops dev, integration & support
- Betty Garrett-Parks, '36 - Actress, comedian, singer & dancer
- Damani Leech, '90 (Middle School) - COO, International, National Football League (NFL)
- Amy Paulose, '95 - President, AMES International, Inc
- Merrill (Wagner) Ryman, '97 - World-renowned artist
- Lee Skinner, '86 - Dean, Newcomb-Tulane College; Latin Am lit scholar
- Erin (Fletcher) Slayton, 97 - Vice President, HDR
- Pamela Hyde Smith, '63 - United States Ambassador
- Mary (McCarthy) West, '29 - American novelist, critic and political activist
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Annie Wright Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Learn about an initially reluctant parent's perspective on boarding school.
Visiting schools on your short list is very important. During your visit observe and ask questions.
Thinking about sending your tween to boarding school? The personal attention and comprehensive programs which junior boarding schools offer are worth a serious review.