St. Michaels University School
St. Michaels University School Photo #2 - SMUS boarders live in bright, furnished rooms that are shared between two roommates (you and one student). Your room also has a private bathroom.
St. Michaels University School Photo #3 - Learning is hands on, with students often leaving campus to experience real-world examples of what they are studying. An example is this AP Environmental Science field trip to the Bamfield Marine Centre.
St. Michaels University School Photo #4 - Music - from lunchtime acoustic concerts for peers to massive performances of 300 musicians - is a big part of life at SMUS.
St. Michaels University School Photo #5 - The SMUS campus has a large sports field for soccer and rugby, two gyms for basketball and volleyball, on-campus squash courts and a fleet of rowing vessels housed at the SMUS Rowing Centre on the Gorge Waterway.
St. Michaels University School Photo #6 - Our library offers access to technology and study space for individuals and groups.
St. Michaels University School Photo #7 - Boarding students enjoy campus all day long, from finding a quiet corner to study in to dropping into the fitness centre after dinner at our dining hall.
- At St. Michaels University School, we believe many of the most important lessons - both intellectual and personal - enable students to discover not only who they are as individuals but who they have the potential to become.
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
St. Michaels University School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 319 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|St. Michaels University School|
|School Focus||College Preparatory|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 8-12|
|Grades (Day)||Grades K-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes|
|Campus Size||20 acres|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||17 students|
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||27|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$6 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Director of Admissions||Paul Leslie|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Alexis Lang Lunn|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|Total Advanced Courses Offered||27|
|Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Chinese Language and Culture, Comparative Government & Politics, Computer Science Principles, Computer Sciences A, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, European History, French Language, Government and Politics, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Physics 1, Physics 2, Physics C (Electricity & Mag.), Physics C (Mechanical), Psychology, Research, Seminar, Spanish Language, Statistics, Studio Art (2D Design), Studio Art (Drawing)|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||20 Interscholastic Sports|
|Sports||Badminton, Basketball, Climbing, Crew, Cricket, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Field Hockey, Golf, Kayaking, Rock Climbing, Rugby, Sailing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Squash, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||56 Extracurriculars|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Academic Council, Amnesty International, Arts Council, Athletic Council, Book Club, Bridge Club, Business Club, CAIS Conference, Chess Club, Chinese Culture Club, Entrepreneur Club, Film Club, Food Committee, FreeThinkers' Club, Grad Committee, Grade Councils, Green Club, Hack Club, History Club, House Games Council, Intercultural Club, Knitting Club, Leadership Conferences, Math Challengers, Outdoor and Sustainability Club, Outdoor Leadership, Peer Tutors, Photo Club, Politics and International Relations Club, Pride Alliance, Psychology Club, Radio Club, Robotics Club, Service Council, Set Design Club, Spoken Word Club, Student Newspaper, Volunteer Club, Wellness Club, Yearbook Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Brass Ensemble, Choir, Fall Theatre Production, Jazz Band, Musical Theatre, Opera, Strings, Swing Band, Theatre
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Dance Club, Hiking, Outdoor Adventure, Rock Climbing, Strength and Conditioning, Table Tennis, Yoga
- St. Michaels University School is among the foremost independent day and boarding schools in Canada and in the world.
- Our commitment to academic excellence provides exceptional preparation for the challenges of post-secondary education.
- Our students are tomorrow`s leaders in the making, and come from more than 30 countries around the world.
- Our faculty are passionate specialists who believe in the potential of every student.
- Our key programmes focus on five areas of development: academics, athletics, the arts, leadership, and community and global service.
- From Junior to Middle to Senior School, students develop a love of learning and learn to think critically and creatively.
- University preparation is at the heart of the school`s mission, with 99% of our students going on to postsecondary education.
- With boarding facilities starting at grade 8, students become part of a diverse community where they create life-long friendships, develop independence and enjoy a wide range of activities.
- St. Michaels University School accreditations: CAIS, WBSA, NAIS, PNAIS, TABS, IECA, SSAT
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Steve Nash '92 - Two-time NBA MVP, founder and president of the Steve Nash Foundation for growing health in kids
- Stewart Butterfield '91 - Co-founder of Flickr and Slack
- Kenneth Oppel '85 - Award-winning author
- Manoj Sood '81 - Star of CBC's hit show Little Mosque on the Prairie
- Bryce Soderberg '98 - Musician and member of band "Lifehouse"
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for St. Michaels University School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Graduates of boarding schools end up doing all sorts of things. Many of them become distinguished leaders in their chosen fields.
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.