Shawnigan Lake School
5.00 (1 review)
1975 Renfrew Road
Shawnigan Lake, BC V0R2W1, Canada
Shawnigan Lake, BC V0R2W1, Canada
Although the majority (80%) of students come from Canada and the United States, students from more than thirty countries are counted in our student body. This diversity allows for unique perspectives and opinions, and gives students a greater degree of global awareness.
The entire school gathers daily for sit-down meals in Marion Hall. This architecturally stunning facility allows for students and staff to share a family-style dining experience.
The Friesen Student Centre is a brand new facility that houses the Stag Cafe, and allows students to develop friendships and bonds that last a lifetime.
Shawnigan was founded in 1916, and while the School still honours many of its long-held traditions, it also has a solid footing in the world of today, and an innovative eye on tomorrow.
Creative opportunities abound at Shawnigan, where students can choose from more than 30 Fine Arts programs including music, visual arts, drama, dance, woodworking and video production. Service education is also a vital part of the School program, evidenced in programs like the Environment Club and the EDGE Leadership Program.
- Shawnigan Lake School is a world-class, co-ed boarding school located on Vancouver Island.
- Our setting is magnificent 380 acres in a safe, clean, rural environment that boasts sweeping lawns, gorgeous gardens and excellent facilities.
- Shawnigan delivers a challenging university-preparatory program. Of particular interest is the number of our grads accepted at top Canadian and American universities like Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, McGill, Queens and the University of Toronto.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- UBC The first thing you'll notice about Shawnigan that sets it apart is its stunning natural beauty set in a quiet, quaint, rural area. The buildings and facilities are spectacular and the very first time. . .
Top 10 Placements
Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 10 schools with > 400 students (out of 105 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Boarding Focus High percentage of boarding students
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Shawnigan Lake School|
|School Focus||College Preparatory|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 8-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes|
|Campus Size||380 acres|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||16 students|
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$13 million|
|Tuition international students||$64,900|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$17,400|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes|
|Director of Admissions||Mrs. Gaynor Samuel|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Ms Margot Allen|
AP / Advanced Courses
|Total Advanced Courses Offered||17|
|Courses||2-D Design Portfolio, Biology, Calculus, Chemistry 12, Chinese Language and Culture, Computer Science, English Language and Composition, English Literature, European History, French Language and Culture, German, Human Geography, Physics 1, Physics 2, Physics C , Spanish, United States History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19 Interscholastic Sports|
|Sports||Badminton, Ballet, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Figure Skating, Golf, Ice Hockey, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Rugby, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||32 Extracurriculars|
|Extracurriculars||Camping Club, Choir, Civic Leadership, Computer Graphics, Concert Club, Creative Writing Club, Dance Club, Debate Club, Drama Club, EDGE Program, Entrepreneurship Club, Environment Club, Film Club, Fine Arts Club, Fly Tying, Graphic Design, Illustration, Jazz Club, Library Arts, Musical Theatre, Outreach Tutors, Photography, Pottery, Robotics, Sculpture,|
- Founded in 1916, Shawnigan is an independent, co-educational, university-preparatory boarding school for students in grades 8-12. The campus is ideally located in the peaceful village of Shawnigan Lake on beautiful Vancouver Island, British Columbia, approximately 45 minutes north of the city of Victoria. The town of Shawnigan Lake is located in the Cowichan Valley, often referred to as the "Provence" of Canada because of the vast number of vineyards, gourmet restaurants and organic farms. Local organic produce, gourmet cheeses and seafood fresh from the sea are in abundance.
- Academic Program - Shawnigan's academic program is university preparatory; the curriculum meets and exceeds British Columbia Ministry of Education standards. Both Honours and Advanced Placement courses are available.
- Extra Curricular Sports and Fine Arts Program - Sports and Fine Arts are a mandatory part of the curriculum at Shawnigan. Rugby and Rowing are a focus for boys and girls. Volleyball, field hockey, cross country, basketball, tennis, squash, soccer, swimming, and sailing are some of the other sports offered. Shawnigan also has an active outdoor pursuits program, which takes advantage of our natural surroundings through hiking, kayaking and camping. Shawnigan recognizes that students have different abilities, and we therefore offer various levels of competition. We also believe that Fine Arts help to develop lifelong skills for students in drama, art, photography, sculpture, woodworking, dance, music, pottery, voice and community outreach, among others. One Fine Art, the Environment Club, has recently been augmented through the addition of our own salmon hatchery and on-site recycling and composting facilities.
- EDGE Leadership Program - EDGE stands for: Engagement of mind, body and spirit; Development of individuals; Gratitude that grows from awareness; and Experience, the most powerful teacher. This program began as a Re-building trip in the wake of the 2004 Tsunami in Thailand. Out of this humanitarian outreach endeavour grew what is known today at Shawnigan as the EDGE Leadership Programme. To date, Shawnigan`s EDGE Leadership Programme has sent twelve teams to Thailand, one to Argentina, one to Laos, three to China, one to South Africa and one to Zimbabwe.
- Campus - Shawnigan's Board of Governors firmly believes that inspired teaching and learning happen in an inspiring setting and we are fortunate to have one of the finest campuses in the world. The rural, 380-acre lakeside campus is the ideal setting for this vibrant community of learners. Our state-of-the-art facilities are a direct result of the generous support of our alumni, parents, and friends and we remain committed to constant improvement
- LD types supported: Language-based differences, giftedness
- School accreditations: Canadian Association of Independent Schools (CAIS), National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), Western Boarding Schools Association (WBSA), BC Independent Schools Association (ISABC), Federation of Independent Schools (FISA),
- Submit Review for Shawnigan Lake School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 958 students 20 miles3400 Richmond Road
- Grades: 9-12 | 400 students 2108 miles88 Bronte College Court
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada L5B1M9
September 28, 2017
Use a spreadsheet to develop your initial list of schools. Here's how.
September 28, 2017
Finding the right boarding school for your child is one of the most important and expensive decisions you will ever make.
September 05, 2017
Generous financial aid and a commitment to diversity are hallmarks of the 21st century release of St. Grottlesex. More here.