Spring Street International School
Spring Street International School Photo #2 - In the High School, teachers work to prepare each student to meet the requirements of a rigorous curriculum that includes 15 AP courses, fostering critical thinking and complex reasoning crucial to post-secondary success.
Spring Street International School Photo #3 - SSIS teachers teach students, not classes; students, faculty, and staff work together one-on-one and in small groups to achieve clearly defined goals, in the process engendering kindness and mutual respect.
Spring Street International School Photo #4 - A Spring Street education is about building relationships that inspire effort and achieve mastery.
Spring Street International School Photo #8 - SSIS high school students regularly participate in local, regional and state tennis, soccer, and baseball competitions. Eligible SSIS students have joined fellow islanders on soccer, softball, baseball, basketball, track, golf, sailing and swim teams.
Spring Street International School Photo #9 - In the Middle School, key goals are to instill a love of learning and good study habits.
- Spring Street students see their families, their communities, and themselves as participants in a much larger world.
- A progressive academic program, including 10 select APs, inspires mastery in the sciences, humanities, and arts.
- Our location in the San Juan Islands, at the heart of Friday Harbor, presents day, boarding, and weekday boarding students with opportunities for real-world life experience through mentorships, outdoor excursions, and global expeditions that foster leadership and group cooperation, preparing each student for success in higher education and life.
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Spring Street||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||8-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||6-12||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||5 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||117 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||4||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Tuition international students||$46,000||$48,850|
(5 Day Boarding)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Krista Strutz|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||4||17|
|Courses||AP Calculus AB/BC, AP Comparative Government & Politics, AP English Language & Composition|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||11||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Boxing, Chess Club, Creative Writing, Diplomacy (board game), Lap Swim, Photography, School Paper, Stock Investing, Video Projects, Weight Lifting, Yoga
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Spring Street has an impressive academic record for placing graduates in their first choices for higher education. The keys to its success are inspirational teachers and small classes, allowing for individualized instruction, intensive college counseling, and swift academic and ESL readiness for university entrance. Supporting the academic program are immersive experiences that acculturate students to life in America, helping each discover his or her individual capacity for leadership. Recent SSIS graduates have been accepted to Stanford, MIT, NYU, USC, GW and other highly ranked universities.
- Spring Street International School accreditations: Northwest Accreditation Commission
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Callie North - Contestant on Alone: Season 3 Patagonia
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Spring Street International School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12| 508 students 71.1 miles1415 Summit Avenue
Seattle, WA 98122
- Grades: 7-12| 101 students 2181.2 miles9790 Thayer Street
Houghton, NY 14744
- Grades: 7-12 | 260 students 2377.9 miles80 chemin Moulton Hill
Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada J1M 1Z8
No shortcuts exist to filling the seats in your private school. It requires savvy, effective marketing. More here.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
What makes some schools really better than others? What makes them the best schools?