PO Box 127, 168 Institute Circle
Lyndon Center, VT 05850
Lyndon Center, VT 05850
Lyndon Institute Photo #2 - Boarding students live in six dormatories on the Lyndon Institute campus. The Resident Life program is based on the premise that learning is not limited to the school day. We plan to structure time after school with intent and purpose. LI encourages our students to become involved and take leadership roles in groups and activities.
Lyndon Institute Photo #3 - LI offers an extensive Visual and Performing Arts Program featuring courses in chorus, band, jazz band, world music, AP Music Theory, AP Studio Art: Drawing, Theater Company, acting, Dance Company, digital photography, graphic design, film production and painting.
Lyndon Institute Photo #4 - Utilized since 1977, the Edwin Binney Memorial Forest is 300 acres of natural forest located 15 minutes from the main campus at Lyndon Institute.Awareness of our responsibilities as stewards of our natural environment have made the Binney Woods campus at LI an important teaching facility.
Lyndon Institute Photo #5 - Our caring and professional faculty, staff, coaches and enhanced advisor program helps to support and create a special and unique learning community. We promise a safe and caring community that instills a sense of belonging in every student and supports individual growth and exploration.
Lyndon Institute Photo #6 - LI students are being accepted into America's "Top 100" colleges and universities ranging from Ivy League to excellent liberal-arts colleges and national research universities.
Lyndon Institute Photo #7 - We believe that the primary obligation of our school is to help every student to discover their individual academic, artistic, technological, and athletic aptitudes; to encourage the development of goals appropriate to such aptitude; and to aid in developing the goals for the betterment of one?'s self and one?'s community.
- Founded in 1867, Lyndon Institute is dedicated to providing a unique educational experience for our students that leads to a lifetime of learning and good citizenship.
- We are an independent and comprehensive high school for grades 9 12, offering a 150-course curriculum (including 16 AP courses) specializing in core and honors academics, fine and performing arts and career and technical programs. Our mission is to provide thoughtful and rigorous preparation for our students to reach their intellectual, creative and physical potential.
- Our learning community is comprised of 500 students; 90% are day students from dozens of area towns and villages and 10% are international boarding students from a dozen countries.
- The main 130-acre campus hosts 34 buildings, including the Main Building, Alumni Gymnasium, the 650-seat Alumni Auditorium, the Elliott Memorial Library, the John L. Norris, Jr. Center for the Arts, the Monahan Academic Commons, the Vail Student Center and six dormitories.
- The 300-acre Binney Woods forest, located on Burke Mountain, provides outdoor recreation and educational opportunities. Using standards-based instruction crafted from state, national and institutional standards, we create a shared focus on instruction that helps all students achieve college and career readiness. Based on carefully selected assessments, dedication to differentiated instruction, quality professional development and genuine collaboration across teachers, specialist, administrators and parents, Lyndon Institute believes that all students can learn and achieve high standards.
- Our students are encouraged to respect and value diversity and to be active and responsible citizens.
- In 2009, Lyndon Institute was one of the first two high schools in the U.S. permitted to offer an American high school program in China.
- We currently partner with three schools in China (Shaoxing, Heifei, and Fuzhou). LI offers a multi-level ESOL program (English for Speakers of Other Languages) and instruction in Spanish, Latin, French, Chinese and Russian.
- Our fine and performing arts program consists of 22 courses in chorus, band, jazz band, world music, AP Music Theory, acting, the LI Theater Company, the LI Dance Company, digital photography, AP Studio Art, drawing, pottery, graphic design, painting, and printmaking.
- Between the first and second semesters, for the first two weeks after the holiday vacation, students participate in "January Term" to focus on project-based learning and immerse themselves in an internship or the intensive study of subjects of their choosing. Most of the classes taught during January Term are created by our students.
- We offer over 71 interscholastic athletic teams, extracurricular clubs, and programs.
- Over 226 State Championships have been earned by our athletes since 2000.
- Located in the scenic and historic Northeast Kingdom of Vermont, our school is a key educational and cultural resource for our entire community.
- Our students participate in a number of community service projects.
- Several on-campus amenities are available to the public: the Bob Heath track (for fitness walking and running); the Simpson Nature Trail (hikes and picnics); the athletic fields (for youth programs); and other facilities host performances and continuing education programs.
- LI prides itself on being a positive presence and contributing member of the community. We believe that the primary obligation of our school is to help every student to discover their individual academic, artistic, technological, and athletic aptitudes; to encourage the development of goals appropriate to such aptitude, and to aid in developing the goals for the betterment of one`s self and one`s community.
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Lyndon Institute||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||150 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||500 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Dress Shirts for boys, collard shirts for girls, no jeans.)
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:10||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$11 million||$18 million|
(5 Day Boarding)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Sara O'Conner|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Soccer, Softball, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||17||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Archive Club, Ink (Literary Magazine), Minnesota State Fine Arts Competition, Political Science, TA Players, TA Tech, Table Top Game Club, TATV, Tripod (Yearbook), Volunteers of America
Arts and Music Programs:
A-Tean, Baseball & Softball, Civil Rights, Outdoor
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Carpe Diem (Newspaper), Creative, Photography & Video
- Lyndon Institute accreditations: ISANNE, TABS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Lyndon Institute
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 578 students 62.1 miles745 Main Street
Fryeburg, ME 04037
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
You and I have experienced all kinds of travel glitches. Discuss your child's upcoming travel plans thoroughly so that your child will be safe and in charge of her travel. The result will be peace of mind for you both.