St. Johnsbury Academy
5.00 (2 reviews)
1000 Main Street, PO Box 906
St. Johnsbury, VT 05819
St. Johnsbury, VT 05819
St. Johnsbury Academy Photo #2 - St. Johnsbury Academy is built on a history of tradition and academic excellence.
St. Johnsbury Academy Photo #3 - Our student body encompasses students from more than 50 local towns and villages, 15 U.S. states, and more than 27 countries. We are a dynamic and diverse community.
St. Johnsbury Academy Photo #4 - Academy students are welcomed to participate in over 40 team sports.
St. Johnsbury Academy Photo #5 - Through the Colwell Center for Global Understanding at St. Johnsbury Academy, our students are exposed to many opportunities to travel abroad.
St. Johnsbury Academy Photo #6 - The Charles Hosmer Morse Center for the Arts features facilities for music, theater, dance, videography, painting, photography, drawing, foundational arts such as Intaglio etching and print-making and ceramics, and fashion design.
St. Johnsbury Academy Photo #7 - Although the academics at St. Johnsbury Academy are exceptional across the board, a number of programs truly set us apart. From high-level math to the AP Capstone Diploma, from the culinary arts to fashion design, our Signature Programs ignite passion within our students, often leading them to pursue careers in fields first explored on our campus.
St. Johnsbury Academy Photo #8 - The Academy strives to provide each of its students with the opportunities and support needed to be successful communicators, problem-solvers, citizens, and scholars.
St. Johnsbury Academy Photo #9 - The Academy's STeM Program (science, technology, engineering and math) offers college-level instruction in biotechnical engineering, engineering design, and civil engineering and architecture.
- St. Johnsbury Academy, founded in 1842, is one of the nation`s exemplary schools (source: U.S. Department of Education), combining the resources, facilities, and curriculum of the world`s leading independent schools with the personal support and attention of the best small boarding schools.
- The Academy is a diverse and comprehensive educational community. We believe that each young person regardless of background, interests, or learning style, should be encouraged to dream big.
- The Academy`s standards for communication, problem solving, citizenship, and essential knowledge set high expectations for students.
- Our diverse student body from around the world enjoys a curriculum of 220 courses offered at four levels of difficulty and an average class size of 12.
- The extra-curricular program includes more than 45 interscholastic teams, 20 intramural sports, and more than 60 organized clubs and activities.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Keio University One of my school's unique difference from other schools is there are students from over 20 countries. We all live in different dormitories, and each students get their roomettes. Spending time with your roommates and. . .
- Colby-sawyer college I really appreciated the tight knit community feel. Going away from home at 14 is hard so it meant a lot that st. Johnsbury really made you feel like family.. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|St. Johnsbury||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||50 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||950 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1120||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||25||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$20 million||$20 million|
(Guided Studies and ESL additional tuition)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$22,800||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Nicole Biggie|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Brendan Hughes|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||25||17|
|Courses||Biotechnical Engineering, Civil Engineering and Architecture, Digital Electronics, Engineering Design and Development, Linear Algebra, Multivariable Calculus|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||20||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Gymnastics, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Nordic Skiing, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||42||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Admission, Andover Outing Club, Audio Visual Club, Barn, Bookstore, Delta Phi (Honor Society), Drum and Bugle Corp, Intramural soccer, Intramural Sports Sampler, Math Club, Model United Nations, National Honor Society, Outing Club, Poetry Club, Pre-School Child Care Center, Red and White (student paper), Robotics, Scholars Bowl, Science Club, Skills USA, Spanish Club, Stage Crew, Student Government, Tuck Shop (student-run snack area), Used Bookstore, Yearbook, Yoga Club
Arts and Music Programs:
A Capella, Art Club, Audio-Visual, Dance Club, Orchestra, Photography, Red Key (student tour guides), Student Area Representatives (admissions), Theater or Drama, WSGS (AM radio station)
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Badminton Club, Mountain Biking Club, School Prefects, Student for Students (peer support), Swim Clu
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- St. Johnsbury Academy combines the opportunities and resources of a large school with the personal attention and support of a small boarding school. The beautiful and safe village campus provides exceptionally complete facilities. Students from 50 Vermont and New Hampshire communities, over 25 countries and as many U.S. states form a diverse and supportive community. The 220 courses (four levels) include Advanced Placement (25), fine and performing arts (40), languages (4), technology, pre-engineering, and computer science (20). Extracurricular opportunities abound with 40 teams and 60 organized activities.
- LD types supported: Learning Impairment, Specific Learning Disability, Visual Impairment, Hearing Impairment, Speech Impairment, Health Impairment, Emotional-Behavioral Disability, Autism, Traumatic Brain Injury
- St. Johnsbury Academy accreditations: NEASC
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Calvin Coolidge - President of the United States
- Submit Review for St. Johnsbury Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 578 students 58.3 miles745 Main Street
Fryeburg, ME 04037
Your graduates can do everything on their smartphones with one click. An alumni relations app will allow them to click a gift to their alma mater. More here.
The typical three-month-long summer break gives juniors and seniors a great opportunity to explore a variety of situations and options.
Learning about a school from its website and social media pages is useful as you decide which school to choose. So is hearing what the school's alumni say about their alma mater.