Rock Point School
- Grades: (Boarding) 9-12, PG
- Enrollment: 30 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $67,201
- Yearly Tuition (Day Students): $33,830
- Acceptance rate: 75%
- Average class size: 8 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Academics and Faculty
(This includes all room and board as well as weekend trips and activities. International trips and skiing and snowboarding may require additional fees.)
- Academic Courses: Each year, Rock Point students take a class in each of our five core content areas: English, Math, History, Science, and Art.
- During the day, students have one hour of supervised study hall when all teachers are available to continue to provide support and instruction.
- Students also take electives (in the past we have offered photography, drama, Spanish, stained glass, architecture, maple syrup making, honey production, and fiber arts). Students often look forward to these electives classes as a chance to connect with their core classroom teachers and their peers in a more relaxed and creative setting.
- Core Learning Skills: Some skills are practiced primarily in the classroom, although they can be applied more broadly: writing, critical thinking, note-taking, test-preparation, and test-taking. Other skills are practiced everywhere in our program, as we help students learn to manage their time, maintain healthy relationships, and develop essential character traits like compassion, creativity, and resilience. More and more current educational research is discovering that these are the skills that most reliably lead to success in any learning environment; at Rock Point School, we have been operating on that belief for decades.
- Tailored to the Individual: At Rock Point School, we are serious about considering the particular strengths and challenges of each individual student in every aspect of our program. Our small size allows us to be more flexible, responsive, and nuanced than larger institutions. While we believe that all students benefit from a learning environment where they are more fully known by their teachers, experience has shown us that certain students seem to need this more than others. For some, being truly known allows them to grow and change in ways they had never dreamed were possible.
- Life outside of class: The dorm staff shares their love for outdoor adventure and the arts, as well as just spending time with students. Every weekend there is a range of activities offered at the school, in the amazing college town of Burlington, and throughout Vermont and upstate New York. These include skiing/snowboarding, hiking, biking, cooking and baking, gardening, community service projects, watching sporting events, and attending art shows, poetry slams, music events, and plays. We also go backpacking in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, whitewater rafting on the Hudson River, and exploring in Montreal. Students even have the chance to run a "leg" in the Burlington Marathon.
- Trips: We travel both far afield and close to home. Students have opportunities to go on trips throughout Vermont, as well as to Montreal, Ottawa, Boston, New Hampshire, New York, and Maine. Each year, usually during February vacation, we offer an international trip. We have travelled to Japan, Cambodia, Honduras, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, and Nicaragua. Each trip has included cultural exchange and, as often as possible, a strong service-learning component.
- Teaching Healthy Living: The personal, emotional, and social wellbeing of every student is as important as his or her achievement in the classroom. In everyday life at Rock Point School, students explore their physical, emotional, and spiritual health. Through work crews, study halls in the evening, and all kinds of fun activities, students learn to manage their time and find a healthy balance between work and play. Our activities in the dorm are geared toward art and culture, outdoor recreation, and community service. Throughout these areas, we teach students about the basics of self-care: getting enough exercise, getting enough rest, paying attention to nutrition, and having healthy ways to relax and de-stress.
- Summer Session: At Rock Point, we offer a fun, exciting, and supportive place for students to spend their summer. Whether they need to make up academic credit, or simply want to build organizational skills, study habits, and social skills, as well as live in a structured community setting, our summer session is a great option. The summer consists of outdoor adventures and classroom work that is inspired by nature, including reading, writing, research projects, and making art. We especially enjoy the way Burlington, Vermont comes alive in the summertime. And, just as in our regular-year program, the summer session emphasizes healthy relationships with staff, learning to be good members of a community, a range of fun activities, and a chance to build academic skills.
- Rock Point School accreditations: NEAS&C, TABS, ISANNE,
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- James Graham - CEO and Founder of Community Phone
- Jo Dee Messina - Country Singer, winner of Academy of Country Music's Top Female Artist of the year, and the CMA's Horizon Award.
- Pamela Rae Schuller - Internationally known disability and mental health advocate and professional stand-up comedian.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Rock Point School cost?
Rock Point School's tuition is approximately $67,201 for boarding students and $33,830 for day students.
What is the acceptance rate of Rock Point School?
The acceptance rate of Rock Point School is 75%, which is higher than the boarding school average of 58%.
Who are famous alumni from Rock Point School?
Rock Point School famous alumni include: James Graham, Jo Dee Messina and Pamela Rae Schuller.
What sports does Rock Point School offer?
Rock Point School offers 1 interscholastic sports: Ultimate Frisbee.
Does Rock Point School offer a summer program?
Yes, Rock Point School offers a summer program. Visit their summer school page for more information.
What is Rock Point School's ranking?
When is the application deadline for Rock Point School?
The application deadline for Rock Point School is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).