Marvelwood School Photo #3 - Community Service Wednesday is an important part of the weekly schedule and the mission of the School.
Marvelwood School Photo #5 - Non-competitive athletics are offered as well as League athletics. Our Outdoor Adventures program features orienteering, hiking, canoeing, camping, and rock climbing.
Marvelwood School Photo #6 - Robotics is a popular elective where students design and create Lego robots.
Marvelwood School Photo #7 - A vibrant arts program offers the opportunity for creativity and building a college portfolio.
Marvelwood School Photo #8 - At Marvelwood, we celebrate each student`s individuality and challenge them to invest in their education and discover new passions.
Marvelwood School Photo #9 - The Marvelwood Garden and Growing Dome are busy places throughout the year.
At Marvelwood, we celebrate each student`s individuality. Our customized approach to learning is responsive to student interests and attuned to their strengths.
We are a welcoming community, intentionally sized to facilitate close connections and an atmosphere of personal warmth.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|Marvelwood School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||83 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||120 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1480||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||32||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||8 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||4:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||11||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$4.5 million||$25 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$28,500||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Maureen Smith|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Victor Bowman|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||11||18|
|Courses||American History, Art, Calculas A/B, Calculas B/C, Chemistry, Comparative Politics, Economics, European History, Physics, Senior Honors Program, Statistics|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Equestrian, Golf, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Nordic Skiing, Riding, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||15||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Audio Engineering, Creative Science, Debating and Public Speaking, Student government, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Advanced Dance, Drafting and Design, Film, Jazz Band Ensemble, Jazz Combo, Photography, Private music lessons, The Marvelwood Players
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Rock climbing, Skiing
|Year: 2020 - 20016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of California (various campuses)||7|
|University of Connecticut||5|
|Pennsylvania State University||4|
|Roger Williams University||4|
|High Point University||3|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign||3|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Marvelwood is a school that builds confidence and changes lives. We are deeply dedicated to knowing and valuing our students, celebrating their individuality and challenging them to invest in their education and discover new passions. We deliver a customized approach to learning that is responsive to student interests and supports and empowers them to move forward with courage in college, career, and life. We are a welcoming and safe community that embraces a truly diverse population of learners. Our school is intentionally sized to facilitate close connections and a tangible atmosphere of personal warmth. With purposeful guidance and respect, our students thrive and are encouraged to become their best selves.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia/Language-based, ADD - ADHD
- Marvelwood School accreditations: NAIS, TABS, CAIS, NEASC
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Jake Burton Carpenter '71 - Jake Burton Carpenter, also known as Jake Burton, is an American snowboarder and founder of Burton Snowboards and one of the inventors of the modern day snowboard.
- Blair Patterson '98 - Blair's work for Estée Lauder has been featured on The View, The Today Show and TLC's iVillage, as well as in Nylon and O Magazines and on the covers of Time Out New York and Harper's Bazaar.
- Nicholas Benson '83 - Nick was awarded the National Endowment for the Arts National Heritage Fellowship, and in 2010, he was named a MacArthur Fellow by the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation.
Profile last updated: 06/21/2021
- Submit Review for Marvelwood School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Thinking about making a major gift to your school? How about endowing a faculty chair? More here.
American boarding schools have always welcomed international students. Rigorous academic programs, extensive athletic programs, and a wide range of extracurricular activities attract students from all over the world.
Admissions to boarding school is a process with many components. The process can be confusing to parents dealing with boarding school admissions for the first time. We guide you through the process.