Kent's Pre-Engineering certificate program is a unique opportunity for hands-on exploration in Robotics, Manufacturing Engineering and Computer Programming.
- For over 100 years, Kent has followed our school motto: Simplicity of Life, Directness of Purpose and Self-Reliance.
- Located in the Northwest corner of Connecticut in the foothills of the Berkshire Mountains along the banks of the Housatonic River, Kent is rich in tradition and innovation.
- Founded by an Episcopal monk, we maintain our affiliation with the church while developing to address the changing world our graduates enter.
- 570 girls and boys excel in our rigorous academic environment with the help of knowledgeable, supportive teachers.
- Many of our faculty have advanced degrees and our average tenure is more than a dozen years.
- Students prepare for the world`s top colleges and universities with an extensive liberal arts curriculum and competitive art, music and athletic programs.
- We study in 27 AP subjects, rare courses like Mandarin Chinese, Irish Drama, Genetics & Biotechnology, our new Pre-Engineering program and our extensive club and extracurricular offerings.
- A Kent student`s days are filled with opportunities to learn and grow, both inside and outside of the classroom.
- We come from 35 states and 40 countries. 90 percent of students live on campus.
- Our faculty largely live here, too and together build our active, engaging campus community seven days a week.
- In fact, service to the community is a significant part of life at Kent. Temperantia, Fiducia, Constantia.
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Eckerd College The physical campus and surrounding areas of Kent School truly brought the campus to another level that few other schools had. The campus itself is set up so that the academic and residential buildings are. . .
- Vanderbilt University While Kent School fits the mold of a traditional boarding school, one thing that really sets us apart is the setting. Nestled in Housatonic Valley, students are always within a 5 minute walk of each. . .
- Babson College Kent is a structured school that prides itself on getting prepared to be in college. Kent gave me the tools and skill sets to absolutely thrive in the college atmosphere and also have enough discipline. . .
- Johns Hopkins University The school has designated time periods every week that are similar to office hours called "Conference Periods." During these time periods I found a method of connecting with my teachers and better understanding the academic. . .
- Southern Methodist University The relaxed attitude of the student body leads to a comfortable work atmosphere. Unlike the stories I hear of other schools, as a student at Kent I never felt that I was in competition. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Kent School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||1200 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||570 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Less than once a month|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||25||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$80 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$35,100||$21,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||70%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Sarah Gleason Ross|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||57||23|
|Extracurriculars||Amnesty International Club, Animal Rights Club, Art Club, Bell Ringing Guild, Buddhist Club, Chapel, Chess Club, Club Soccer, Club Squash, Club Tennis, Coding Club, Concert Club, Dance Club, Debate Club, Diversity Club, Environment Club, Fellowship of Christians at Universities and Schools (FOCUS), Fitness Club, French Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Habitat for Humanity, Heifer International, Hillel Society, International Club, Investment Club,|
|Year: 2013 - 2015||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||15|
|George Washington University||14|
|University of California at Berkeley||10|
|Hobart and William Smith Colleges||8|
|United States Naval Academy||8|
- School accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges, National Association of Independant Schools, National Association of Episcopal Schools
Submit Review for Kent School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
May 18, 2017
The International Baccalaureate programmes cover the entire K-12 spectrum with three distinct educational curricula. In this article, we focus on American private high schools which offer the Diploma Programme.
May 11, 2017
In 1957-58 Peter Denis attended a boarding school in Switzerland. In this article he recounts his experiences for us.
April 26, 2017
Vision. Generosity. High-minded principles. These are the hallmarks of the benefactors of the five schools featured in this article.