St. Margaret's School
St. Margaret's School Photo #2 - River Program: St. Margaret's offers a waterfront campus along the Rappahannock River. The river weaves through all aspects of school life, from the classroom to activities. So jump into a sailboat, take care of an oyster garden, conduct science labs from our beach, and explore our riverfront community.
St. Margaret's School Photo #3 - Episcopal Community: Grounded in Episcopal tenets, St. Margaret's School is for girls who want to be part of a welcoming and inclusive community where they can be their authentic self. Our girls live by the "Gospel of Doing" and these words from our school prayer: As we grow in age, may we grow in grace.
St. Margaret's School Photo #4 - Athletics: We encourage our students to challenge themselves and join the team. With many athletic opportunities to choose from - including crew, volleyball, and tennis - you'll be sure to find the team that's right for you.
St. Margaret's School Photo #5 - Visual and Performing Arts: Perform with the choir, direct a school play, set up an easel to paint on our River Lawn, or be inspired in our ceramics studio. St. Margaret's robust arts program offers you a variety of visual and performing arts opportunities that will encourage you to explore your creativity and express yourself.
Robust STEAM college preparatory curriculum with Advanced Placement and Dual Enrollment courses to earn college credits, supported with small class settings, individualized attention, and a dynamic advisory and college counseling program
River Program incorporated into our athletics, academics, arts, and activities.
Competitive athletic teams playing along a 10-acre riverfront campus and 42-acre athletic complex
Living and learning under the tenets of the Episcopal tradition in welcoming all seeking an inclusive and holistic community
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- N/A The diversity at SMS is quite unique and out-stands the most. The school accepts each student or themselves and works with them according to their pace. The faculty at SMS is also quite supportive. They. . .
- University of Rochester At St. Margaret’s School, girls have the opportunity to not just gain a better education, but also to be around people whom they will have with them through their lives. As a senior, I have. . .
- Case Western Reserve University For me, SMS is unique because it is truly a second home that anyone can be a part of. The sense of community also builds around the school motto, “As we grow in age. . .
St. Margaret's School ranks among the top 5 all-girls schools (out of 21 all-girls schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|St. Margaret's||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||8-12, PG||5-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||52 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||100 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1122||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1005 - 1225||-|
|Average ACT score||21||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 18
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||9||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Christina O'Neill|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||20||16|
|Sports||Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Golf, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Riding, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||12||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Basic Needs (Service Club), Book Club, Dance Team, Green Team, Honor Council, National Honor Society, Scottie Guides (Admissions), Student Government Association
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Tides Staff (art journal), Treble Choir
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- For 100 years, St. Margaret's girls have belonged to a diverse community of leaders, scholars, student-athletes, and artists. At St. Margaret's School, we prepare girls for success in college and beyond by fostering a global outlook, lifelong intellectual curiosity, and promoting strong learning skills.
- Located on the banks of Virginia's Rappahannock River, we offer a robust STEAM college preparatory curriculum and River Program that is incorporated into our academics, athletics, arts, and activities.
- Guided by Episcopal tenets that promote faith, reason, and tradition, we help girls to develop their personal integrity and nurture their healthy curiosity.
- We offer day, five-day boarding, and seven-day boarding programs for girls in grades 812 and a postgraduate year.
- St. Margaret's School accreditations: NAIS, VAIS, TABS, NCGS, NAES
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for St. Margaret's School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 548 students 102.6 miles300 Garrison Forest Road
Owings Mills, MD 21117
Inevitably at some point while you are looking at boarding schools, your child will ask what it's like living at boarding school. Here are some answers to those questions.
After months of research, school visits, interviews, and tests, you find out that you've been waitlisted. Relax. It's not the end of the world. Here's what to do.
Thinking about sending your tween to boarding school? The personal attention and comprehensive programs which junior boarding schools offer are worth a serious review.