St. Margaret's School
- St. Margaret's is a small, all girls' school, boarding and day, grades 8-12, along the banks of the Rappahannock River.
- Founded in the Episcopal tradition, we are committed to helping young women thrive in every aspect of their lives - academically, socially, emotionally and spiritually.
- Our campus is home to young women from across the country and around the world.
- We know that strong women make strong choices and our program is designed to support their development.
- Our rigorous college prepartory curriculum encourages students to push themselves.
- Our leadership program gives our students the opportunity to inspire greatness in themselves and others.
- Our history as a church school and honor code equip our students with the moral and social foundation to approach today's world with a sense of grace, honor and purpose.
- We meet girls where they are, embrace them as individuals and push them to challenge themselves and change the world. .
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- University of Rochester At St. Margaret’s School, girls have the opportunity to not just gain a better education, but also to be around people whom they will have with them through their lives. As a senior, I have. . .
- Case Western Reserve University For me, SMS is unique because it is truly a second home that anyone can be a part of. The sense of community also builds around the school motto, “As we grow in age. . .
- University of Virginia St. Margaret's offers a unique boarding school experience in part thanks to its location right on the Rappahannock River. The school encourages girls to take advantage of the river, both as an educational and extracurricular. . .
- Auburn University St. Margaret's has such a strong staff. The teachers honestly care about their students and their success in school. Being a teacher at a boarding school is hard because of the extra commitments. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|St. Margaret's||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||51 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||125 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(We have a school uniform with 32 pieces.)
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||9||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$5 million||$17 million|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$20,630||$22,730|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Cameron Tuebner|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Jackie Montero|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||9||14|
|Sports||Ballet, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||13||23|
Club or Organization:
Basic, Book Club, Community, Drama Club, Peer, Quill, Scottie, Spanish
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Ensemble, Photography, Soulful
- Founded in 1921 as one of the Church Schools in the Diocese of Virginia (CSDV), and a member of the Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS), St. Margaret's offers a boarding and day college preparatory program for girls in grades 8-12. During the regular school year, a diverse student body of 125, representing approximately 13 countries and 18 US States and the District of Columbia, maintains a 6:1 student-faculty ratio, a unique advisor/advisee relationship, and a 99 percent college attendance rate.
- LD types supported: ADHD, Dyslexia, math and language-based learning differences
- School accreditations: NAIS, VAIS, TABS, NCGS
- Submit Review for St. Margaret's School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 298 students 102.6 miles300 Garrison Forest Road
Owings Mills, MD 21117
March 19, 2018
Some cynics think single-sex education is old-fashioned. The Kiski School shows how educating boys in a single-sex school is successful.
March 14, 2018
Determining which programs are 'must haves' is an important part of choosing the right boarding school for your child.
March 08, 2018
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.