St. Margaret's School
St. Margaret's School Photo #2 - BELONG TO A SISTERHOOD * Friends from around the world and across the U.S. who learn, live, and play together, building strong bonds and creating cherished memories. * Whether you're a day student, five-day boarding, or full-time boarding student, SMS is home.
St. Margaret's School Photo #3 - BELIEVE IN SOMETHING GREATER. * What kind of person will you be? Honest? Trustworthy? Responsible? * Our honor code inspires a culture of honesty and promotes trust in one another. * We have confidence that you will do the right thing, even when no one is watching. * We believe in you.
St. Margaret's School Photo #4 - BECOME A LIFE-LONG LEARNER. * Small classes, individual attention, and readiness-based curriculum * Honors and Advanced Placement Classes * Independent study * Dual enrollment college courses * ESL * Wheat Center provides enrichment opportunities for girls at all levels.
St. Margaret's School Photo #5 - BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF BEING A SCOTTIE. * Competitive interscholastic athletic teams * Extra-curricular activities offered such as yoga, outdoor adventures, theater * 2018 LIS Softball Champions * LIS Volleyball Coach of the Year for the past 5 years
St. Margaret's School Photo #6 - BELIEVE IN A WORLD OF POSSIBILITIES * Minimester - a two week experiential learning adventure * Travel the world or take enrichment courses * Be an International Exchange student at our sister schools in Japan, Chile, and New Zealand * Conduct research or intern through our Independent Study Program
St. Margaret's School Photo #7 - BECOME A PART OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL. * Nearly 100 years of traditions * Blue/Grey Competitions * Lantern Ceremony * May Ball * Freshman Christmas * Sophomore Halloween * Junior/Senior Banquet * and more!
St. Margaret's School Photo #8 - BECOME A SHOW-STOPPER. * 26 Fine and Performing Arts opportunities including Ceramics, Watercolor, Digital Photography, Fashion Design, Drama, Technical Theater, Painting, Treble Choir, Private Instruction * 1,000 sq. ft. Ellen Brooks Gallery * Over 400 pieces of student art displayed on campus
St. Margaret's School Photo #9 - BELIEVE GREAT THINGS LIE AHEAD FOR YOU. * Life on the river is good * Boating, fishing, tubing, kayaking, canoeing, paddle boarding, sailing, swimming, relaxing with friends on the beach * Shopping, eating out, attending socials with other schools, visiting museums and other cultural events, are all part of the SMS experience.
St. Margaret's School Photo #10 - BELIEVE IN THE DIFFERENCE YOU CAN MAKE. * We respect the dignity of all people and promote compassion, forgiveness, and generosity * Social responsibility is an important part of our purpose and inspires our students to serve others as Chapel leaders, on our Honor Council, as Student Government leaders, and by volunteering in our local community and around the world.
Robust college preparatory curriculum with Advanced Placement and Dual Enrollment courses to earn college credits, supported with small class settings, individualized attention, and a dynamic advisory and college counseling program
River Program incorporated into our athletics, academics, arts, and activities. *Coming 2021-2022 to St. Margaret's - crew and sailing!*
Competitive athletic teams playing along a 10-acre riverfront campus and 42-acre athletic complex
Living and learning under the tenets of the Episcopal tradition in welcoming all seeking an inclusive and holistic community
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- N/A The diversity at SMS is quite unique and out-stands the most. The school accepts each student or themselves and works with them according to their pace. The faculty at SMS is also quite supportive. They. . .
- University of Rochester At St. Margaret’s School, girls have the opportunity to not just gain a better education, but also to be around people whom they will have with them through their lives. As a senior, I have. . .
- Case Western Reserve University For me, SMS is unique because it is truly a second home that anyone can be a part of. The sense of community also builds around the school motto, “As we grow in age. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|St. Margaret's||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||8-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||52 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||100 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1122||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1005 - 1225||-|
|Average ACT score||21||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||9||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Christina O'Neill|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||16|
|Sports||Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Equestrian, Golf, Kayaking, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||11||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Basic Needs (Service Club), Book Club, Green Team, Honor Council, National Honor Society, Scottie Guides (Admissions), Student Government Association
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Tides Staff (art journal), Treble Choir
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- For 100 years, St. Margaret's School has prepared girls for success in college and beyond by fostering a global outlook, lifelong intellectual curiosity, and promoting strong learning skills. Located on Virginia's Rappahannock River, we offer boarding, 5-day boarding, and day programs for girls grades 8 - postgraduate.
- Founded in the Episcopal tradition 100 years ago, St. Margaret`s raises and educates girls to develop their strengths in every aspect of life-academically, physically, spiritually and emotionally. With a diverse community, solid college-preparatory program, and a wide range of interscholastic sports, clubs, and after school activities, life at St. Margaret's is fun and full of learning opportunities. The relationships formed here last a lifetime.
- The world is a better place because of generations of St. Margaret's women who found their voice here and impacted their communities in positive ways.
- We believe you belong here, and we can't wait to show you why. Contact our admission team today to learn more: firstname.lastname@example.org or (804) 443-3357.
- St. Margaret's School accreditations: NAIS, VAIS, TABS, NCGS, MAESA
Profile last updated: 07/13/2021
- Submit Review for St. Margaret's School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 548 students 102.6 miles300 Garrison Forest Road
Owings Mills, MD 21117
Thinking about making a major gift to your school? How about endowing a faculty chair? More here.
American boarding schools have always welcomed international students. Rigorous academic programs, extensive athletic programs, and a wide range of extracurricular activities attract students from all over the world.
Admissions to boarding school is a process with many components. The process can be confusing to parents dealing with boarding school admissions for the first time. We guide you through the process.