St. Margaret's School
5.00 (6 reviews)
Tel: (804) 443-3357 Ext. 1
PO Box 158, 444 Water Lane
Tappahannock, VA 22560
Tappahannock, VA 22560
St. Margaret's School Photo #2 - BELONG TO A SISTERHOOD * Friends from around the world and across the U.S. who learn, live, and play together, building strong bonds and creating cherished memories. * Whether you're a day student, five-day boarding, or full-time boarding student, SMS is home.
St. Margaret's School Photo #3 - BELIEVE IN SOMETHING GREATER. * What kind of person will you be? Honest? Trustworthy? Responsible? * Our honor code inspires a culture of honesty and promotes trust in one another. * We have confidence that you will do the right thing, even when no one is watching. * We believe in you.
St. Margaret's School Photo #4 - BECOME A LIFE-LONG LEARNER. * Small classes, individual attention, and readiness-based curriculum * Honors and Advanced Placement Classes * Independent study * Dual enrollment college courses * ESL * Wheat Center provides enrichment opportunities for girls at all levels.
St. Margaret's School Photo #5 - BELIEVE IN THE POWER OF BEING A SCOTTIE. * Competitive interscholastic athletic teams * Extra-curricular activities offered such as yoga, outdoor adventures, theater * 2018 LIS Softball Champions * LIS Volleyball Coach of the Year for the past 5 years
St. Margaret's School Photo #6 - BELIEVE IN A WORLD OF POSSIBILITIES * Minimester - a two week experiential learning adventure * Travel the world or take enrichment courses * Be an International Exchange student at our sister schools in Japan, Chile, and New Zealand * Conduct research or intern through our Independent Study Program
St. Margaret's School Photo #7 - BECOME A PART OF SOMETHING WONDERFUL. * Nearly 100 years of traditions * Blue/Grey Competitions * Lantern Ceremony * May Ball * Freshman Christmas * Sophomore Halloween * Junior/Senior Banquet * and more!
St. Margaret's School Photo #8 - BECOME A SHOW-STOPPER. * 26 Fine and Performing Arts opportunities including Ceramics, Watercolor, Digital Photography, Fashion Design, Drama, Technical Theater, Painting, Treble Choir, Private Instruction * 1,000 sq. ft. Ellen Brooks Gallery * Over 400 pieces of student art displayed on campus
St. Margaret's School Photo #9 - BELIEVE GREAT THINGS LIE AHEAD FOR YOU. * Life on the river is good * Boating, fishing, tubing, kayaking, canoeing, paddle boarding, sailing, swimming, relaxing with friends on the beach * Shopping, eating out, attending socials with other schools, visiting museums and other cultural events, are all part of the SMS experience.
St. Margaret's School Photo #10 - BELIEVE IN THE DIFFERENCE YOU CAN MAKE. * We respect the dignity of all people and promote compassion, forgiveness, and generosity * Social responsibility is an important part of our purpose and inspires our students to serve others as Chapel leaders, on our Honor Council, as Student Government leaders, and by volunteering in our local community and around the world.
For almost 100 years, St. Margaret`s School has helped young women grades 8 through 12 (plus a Post Graduate Program) find their voice, their path, and their sense of self.
The experiences you have here will prepare you for leadership roles and other life achievements.
Live and learn on the banks of Virginia`s Rappahannock River.
Join us and dare to believe in yourself, dare to belong to a sisterhood of lifelong friends, and dare to become your very best.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- N/A The diversity at SMS is quite unique and out-stands the most. The school accepts each student or themselves and works with them according to their pace. The faculty at SMS is also quite supportive. They. . .
- University of Rochester At St. Margaret’s School, girls have the opportunity to not just gain a better education, but also to be around people whom they will have with them through their lives. As a senior, I have. . .
- Case Western Reserve University For me, SMS is unique because it is truly a second home that anyone can be a part of. The sense of community also builds around the school motto, “As we grow in age. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|St. Margaret's||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||8-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||52 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||120 students||306 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1122||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1005 - 1225||-|
|Average ACT score||21||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(We have a school uniform with skirt and pants options.)
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||9||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$5 million||$23 million|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$23,900||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Christina O'Neill|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||12||16|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Golf, Kayaking, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||11||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Basic Needs (Service Club), Book Club, Green Team, Honor Council, National Honor Society, Scottie Guides (Admissions), Student Government Association
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Club, Tides Staff (art journal), Treble Choir
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- On the banks of the Rappahannock River, St. Margaret's historic campus is home to our welcoming, inclusive community of nearly 120 girls from across the United States and around the world. We offer full boarding, 5-day boarding, and day programs for girls in grades 8-12, and a postgraduate year. We value and respect the unique qualities of each individual and place girls in classes according to their readiness and interests.
- Founded in the Episcopal tradition nearly 100 years ago, St. Margaret`s raises and educates girls to develop their strengths in every aspect of life-academically, physically, spiritually and emotionally. With a diverse community, solid college-preparatory program, and a wide range of interscholastic sports, clubs, and after school activities, life at St. Margaret's is fun, full of learning opportunities, and the relationships formed here last a lifetime.
- Student leaders help run the school, upholding and enforcing our Honor Code, leading Chapel services, and helping ensure life on campus is supportive, inspiring, and enriching for all. The world is a better place because of generations of St. Margaret's women who found their voice here and impacted their communities in positive ways.
- Discover what a girl becomes at St. Margaret's School by contacting our Office of Admission. We welcome your questions about our programs, affordability, and how a girl can become her best at St. Margaret's.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia, math and language-based learning differences
- St. Margaret's School accreditations: NAIS, VAIS, TABS, NCGS, MAESA
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for St. Margaret's School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 548 students 102.6 miles300 Garrison Forest Road
Owings Mills, MD 21117
Families who live outside the United States and who are not American citizens or Permanent Residents have to deal with a couple of additional steps when thinking of sending their children to an American boarding school.
Determining which programs are 'must haves' is an important part of choosing the right boarding school for your child.
Are you wondering whether boarding school is right for your child? Answer these five questions and you will be better able to determine whether it is.