TASIS The American School in Switzerland
Via Collina d'Oro
Montagnola 6926, Switzerland
Montagnola 6926, Switzerland
Much of what makes TASIS distinctive results from the entrepreneurial style of our founder, M. Crist Fleming, whose ability to see and seize opportunities and to respond to needs with alacrity is legendary. Thanks to her, TASIS enjoys a culture that encourages and rewards initiative and creativity while demanding flexibility, patience, a positive attitude, and perseverance.
TASIS is known for attracting educators who are adventurous, driven, and enthusiastic, and more than 70 percent of our faculty hold advanced degrees. We are proud to employ gifted, passionate educators who encourage intellectual curiosity and demand the most from their students. Faculty excellence is the core of the TASIS experience.
We provide a rich and varied Fine Arts curriculum that encourages students to find their own voice no matter what the discipline. Students can choose from more than 20 classes in Visual Arts, Music, and Drama, ranging from introductory courses in Photography to IB and AP offerings in Theatre, Architecture,
TASIS pioneered the concept of Academic Travel in 1956. Our students have been exploring Europe ever since. Committed to academic excellence, we have made made our natural and cultural setting in Europe our classroom. Twice a year, all Middle and High School students take Academic Travel trips that are related to courses of study, particular student interests, or grade level.
Our Global Service Program transforms lives by providing every student a unique opportunity to connect across borders through comprehensive experiences that build empathy and encourage personal responsibility. This pioneering program awakens students to humanitarian needs; inspires them to build enduring, mutually beneficial relationships; and leads them toward a life of active citizenship and committed service.
At TASIS, we recognize that an education is not about classes alone and place a great deal of emphasis on teaching physical fitness and healthy lifestyles. Students inevitably leave TASIS with a heightened appreciation for the outdoors and an understanding of what it takes to succeed in challenging environments.
When you come to TASIS, you're not just enrolling in a school-you're joining a tight-knit community. Nine on-campus dormitories house approximately 270 boarding students, and our caring and dedicated residential life staff promotes a culture of accountability and self-reliance, providing students room to develop into independent young adults.
With an International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (IBDP) and 15 Advanced Placement (AP) courses, our academic program is designed to challenge all students. TASIS students have consistently outperformed their peers in their pursuit of the IB Diploma, which opens doors to outstanding colleges and universities around the world.
TASIS is a vibrant global community of students who represent more than 60 nations and speak more than 30 languages. The TASIS experience unlocks the unique potential of every student and produces what M. Crist Fleming called 'international human beings-men and women who are capable of moving easily in any society and any civilization on the face of the earth.'
- Founded by M. Crist Fleming in 1956, TASIS is an international day and boarding school committed to creating global citizens through education, travel, and service.
- The oldest American boarding school in Europe, TASIS welcomes 710 students from more than 60 nations in grades Pre-Kindergarten through Postgraduate.
- The School`s signature programs include the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program, biannual Academic Travel trips throughout Europe, and a pioneering Global Service Program.
Upcoming Events and News:
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|TASIS The American School in Switzerland|
|School Focus||College Preparatory|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 6-12, PG|
|Grades (Day)||Grades Pre-K-12, PG|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes|
|Campus Size||25 acres|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1120|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||500 - 640|
|Average ACT score||23|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||15|
|Number of IB Courses Offered||39|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes|
(Tuition for Elementary School day students is $30,400.)
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Director of Admissions||Emily McKee|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Helen Roowalla|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15 Interscholastic Sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Badminton, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded by international education pioneer M. Crist Fleming in 1956, TASIS The American School in Switzerland is a day and boarding school committed to creating global citizens through education, travel, and service.
- TASIS welcomes students from Pre-Kindergarten through Postgraduate. 715 students make up the Elementary, Middle, and High Schools for the 20172018 academic year, with 270 students between ages 1219 residing on campus. The student body represents 60 nationalities and speaks 35 different mother tongues.
- High School students can choose from individual Advanced Placement courses or pursue the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma, helping them receive offers from nearly 400 universities in 20 different nations over the past five years. The School offers an extensive Fine Arts program that includes courses in drama, music, and the visual arts, enabling aspiring artists of any ilk to find their creative voice and nurture their talent.
- The campus includes more than 25 buildings dating from the 17th century Villa De Nobili to the state-of-the-art Campo Science Center. Perched on a hillside in sunny southern Switzerland with commanding views of snow-capped mountains, palm trees, and Lake Lugano, the School's enviable location makes possible an impressive Academic Travel program. Travel experiences throughout the year bring students face-to-face with the rich cultural heritage of Europe and the spectacular natural beauty of the Alps and beyond.
- The School`s pioneering Global Service Program transforms lives by providing every High School student with a unique opportunity to connect across borders-whether geographic, economic, or social-through comprehensive experiences that build empathy and encourage personal responsibility.
- TASIS encourages physical fitness and healthy lifestyles. Varsity sports teams compete throughout Europe, and a variety of other fitness activities are offered to cater to all interests. Each year also brings many opportunities to ski and explore the breathtaking Alps. Students leave TASIS with a heightened appreciation for the outdoors and an understanding of what it takes to succeed in challenging environments.
- Each summer, hundreds of students aged 418 journey to Lugano for the TASIS Summer Programs, which feature intensive academic courses, an unparalleled performing arts program, thrilling outdoor adventures, advanced sports training, and exciting cultural excursions around Europe.
- School accreditations: European Council of International Schools (ECIS) and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Jack Savoretti - Italian-English musician
- Billy Zane - American actor and producer
- Laura Wasser - American divorce attorney for Angelina Jolie
- Ferit Sahenk - Turkish businessman
- Jeanie Cunningham - American performer, composer, songwriter, producer, and writer
- Submit Review for TASIS The American School in Switzerland
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 7-12, PG | 340 students 94.7 milesChemin de la Source
Leysin, Switzerland 1854
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 120 students 62.6 milesDorfstrasse
6085 Hasliberg Goldern, Switzerland 6085
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 400 students 570.3 milesColdharbour Lane
Thorpe, Surrey TW20 8TE, United Kingdom tw20 8te
44 0 1932 582316570.39-12, PG400
- Grades: 11-12, PG| 275 students 121.2 milesMühlentalstrasse 280CH-8200 Schaffhausen
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Schaffhausen, Switzerland 8200
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
October 24, 2017
How to handle five basic challenges involved in choosing a boarding school.
September 28, 2017
Use a spreadsheet to develop your initial list of schools. Here's how.
September 28, 2017
Finding the right boarding school for your child is one of the most important and expensive decisions you will ever make.