TASIS The American School in Switzerland
TASIS The American School in Switzerland Photo #2 - Much of what makes TASIS distinctive results from the entrepreneurial style of our founder, M. Crist Fleming, whose ability to see and seize opportunities and to respond to needs with alacrity is legendary. Thanks to her, TASIS enjoys a culture that encourages and rewards initiative and creativity while demanding flexibility, patience, a positive attitude, and perseverance.
TASIS The American School in Switzerland Photo #3 - TASIS is known for attracting educators who are adventurous, driven, and enthusiastic, and more than 70 percent of our faculty hold advanced degrees. We are proud to employ gifted, passionate educators who encourage intellectual curiosity and demand the most from their students. Faculty excellence is the core of the TASIS experience.
TASIS The American School in Switzerland Photo #4 - We provide a rich and varied Fine Arts curriculum that encourages students to find their own voice no matter what the discipline. Students can choose from more than 20 classes in Visual Arts, Music, and Drama, ranging from introductory courses in Photography to IB and AP offerings in Theatre, Architecture,
TASIS The American School in Switzerland Photo #5 - TASIS pioneered the concept of Academic Travel in 1956. Our students have been exploring Europe ever since. Committed to academic excellence, we have made made our natural and cultural setting in Europe our classroom. Twice a year, all Middle and High School students take Academic Travel trips that are related to courses of study, particular student interests, or grade level.
TASIS The American School in Switzerland Photo #6 - Our Global Service Program transforms lives by providing every student a unique opportunity to connect across borders through comprehensive experiences that build empathy and encourage personal responsibility. This pioneering program awakens students to humanitarian needs; inspires them to build enduring, mutually beneficial relationships; and leads them toward a life of active citizenship and committed service.
TASIS The American School in Switzerland Photo #7 - At TASIS, we recognize that an education is not about classes alone and place a great deal of emphasis on teaching physical fitness and healthy lifestyles. Students inevitably leave TASIS with a heightened appreciation for the outdoors and an understanding of what it takes to succeed in challenging environments.
TASIS The American School in Switzerland Photo #8 - When you come to TASIS, you're not just enrolling in a school-you're joining a tight-knit community. Nine on-campus dormitories house approximately 270 boarding students, and our caring and dedicated residential life staff promotes a culture of accountability and self-reliance, providing students room to develop into independent young adults.
TASIS The American School in Switzerland Photo #9 - With an International Baccalaureate Diploma Program (IBDP) and 15 Advanced Placement (AP) courses, our academic program is designed to challenge all students. TASIS students have consistently outperformed their peers in their pursuit of the IB Diploma, which opens doors to outstanding colleges and universities around the world.
TASIS The American School in Switzerland Photo #10 - TASIS is a vibrant global community of students who represent more than 60 nations and speak more than 30 languages. The TASIS experience unlocks the unique potential of every student and produces what M. Crist Fleming called "international human beings-men and women who are capable of moving easily in any society and any civilization on the face of the earth."
- Founded by M. Crist Fleming in 1956, TASIS is an international day and boarding school committed to creating global citizens through education, travel, and service.
- The oldest American boarding school in Europe, TASIS welcomes approximately 710 students from 60 nations in grades Pre-Kindergarten through Postgraduate each year.
- The School`s signature programs include the International Baccalaureate Diploma Program, biannual Academic Travel trips throughout Europe, and a pioneering Global Service Program.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|TASIS The American School in Switzerland|
|School Focus||College Preparatory|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 6-12, PG|
|Grades (Day)||Grades Pre-K-12, PG|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes|
|Campus Size||25 acres|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1140|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1060 - 1265|
|Average ACT score||26|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||13 students|
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||15|
|Number of IB Courses Offered||39|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$4,000|
(The cost to attend a summer program session ranges from $2800 to $8100.)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
(Tuition for Elementary School day students is $30,400.)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Director of Admissions||Emily McKee|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Helen Roowalla|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||20 Interscholastic Sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Climbing, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Golf, Lacrosse, Rugby, Soccer, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded by international education pioneer M. Crist Fleming in 1956, TASIS The American School in Switzerland is a day and boarding school committed to creating global citizens through education, travel, and service.
- TASIS welcomes students from Pre-Kindergarten through Postgraduate. Approximately 710 students make up the Elementary, Middle, and High Schools each year, with 250 students in Middle and High School residing on campus. The student body represents around 60 nationalities each year and speaks more than 30 different languages as a mother tongue.
- High School students can choose from individual Advanced Placement courses or pursue the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma, helping them receive offers from nearly 400 universities in 20 different nations over the past five years. The School offers an extensive Fine Arts program that includes courses in drama, music, and the visual arts, enabling aspiring artists of any ilk to find their creative voice and nurture their talent.
- The campus includes more than 25 buildings dating from the 17th century Villa De Nobili to the state-of-the-art Campo Science Center. Perched on a hillside in sunny southern Switzerland with commanding views of snow-capped mountains, palm trees, and Lake Lugano, the School's enviable location makes possible an impressive Academic Travel program. Travel experiences throughout the year bring students face-to-face with the rich cultural heritage of Europe and the spectacular natural beauty of the Alps and beyond.
- The School`s pioneering Global Service Program transforms lives by providing every High School student with a unique opportunity to connect across borders-whether geographic, economic, or social-through comprehensive experiences that build empathy and encourage personal responsibility.
- TASIS encourages physical fitness and healthy lifestyles. Varsity sports teams compete throughout Europe, and a variety of other fitness activities are offered to cater to all interests. Each year also brings many opportunities to ski and explore the breathtaking Alps. Students leave TASIS with a heightened appreciation for the outdoors and an understanding of what it takes to succeed in challenging environments.
- Each summer, hundreds of students aged 4 to 18 journey to Lugano for the TASIS Summer Programs, which feature intensive academic courses, an unparalleled performing arts program, thrilling outdoor adventures, advanced sports training, and exciting cultural excursions around Europe.
- TASIS The American School in Switzerland accreditations: European Council of International Schools (ECIS) and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges (NEASC)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Jack Savoretti - Italian-English musician
- Billy Zane - American actor and producer
- Laura Wasser - American divorce attorney for Angelina Jolie
- Ferit Sahenk - Turkish businessman
- Jeanie Cunningham - American performer, composer, songwriter, producer, and writer
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for TASIS The American School in Switzerland
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 7-12, PG | 340 students 95.6 milesChemin de la Source
Leysin, Switzerland 1854
- Grades: 8-12, PG | 120 students 62.5 milesDorfstrasse
6085 Hasliberg Goldern, Switzerland 6085
- Grades: 9-12, PG| 400 students 570.4 milesColdharbour Lane
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Thorpe, Surrey TW20 8TE, United Kingdom tw20 8te
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
- Grades: 11-12, PG| 275 students 120.4 milesMühlentalstrasse 280CH-8200 Schaffhausen
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Schaffhausen, Switzerland 8200
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
The International Baccalaureate programmes cover the entire K-12 spectrum with three distinct educational curricula. In this article, we focus on American private high schools which offer the Diploma Programme.
Learn how financial aid works in boarding schools.
Teaching in a residential school brings its own challenges as well as some very powerful advantages. Here's how to survive your stint as a teacher in a boarding school.