- Surrounded by the awe-inspiring peaks of the Bernese Oberland, our international village for living, learning, and growing is home to students and teachers from some 25 different countries.
- The stunning natural setting provides both a wholesome learning environment and exceptional opportunities for hiking, skiing, climbing, and other outdoor activities.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|School Focus||College Preparatory|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 8-12, PG|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes|
|Campus Size||16 acres|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
|Average Class Size||6 students|
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||10|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No|
(90% of students are boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$10,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Director of Admissions||June Vinhateiro|
AP / Advanced Courses
|Total Advanced Courses Offered||10|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Chemistry, AP Comparative Government and Politics, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP Geography, AP German, AP Physics and Mechanics, AP US Government and Politics, AP World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19 Interscholastic Sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Dance, Freestyle Skiing, Indoor Soccer, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Ski Jumping, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||7 Extracurriculars|
|Extracurriculars||Arts and Music Programs:|
Dance, Instrumental Music, Theater
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Hiking, Spinning, Wen-do, Yoga
- ACADEMICS: Ecole d'Humanit offers both the Swiss Matura and an American curriculum university-prep academic program. The American Program leads to a High School Diploma and includes a range of AP courses and the option for the Advanced Placement International Diploma (APID) and entrance to universities around the world. The school is an official testing site for the SAT and AP exams.
- UNIVERSITY PREPARATION: Recent university acceptances include: Berklee College of Music, Rochester Institute of Technology, University of British Columbia, Bryn Mawr, Bard, Sarah Lawrence, Mount Holyoke, University of Edinburgh, University of Leeds, Royal Holloway University, Exeter University
- HOLISTIC APPROACH: We strive to educate the whole person, emphasizing academic excellence, practical skills and social awareness. We encourage both individual creativity and a sense of responsibility for the community, providing a culturally diverse setting in which open minds and tolerant spirits can develop and flourish.
- AFTERNOON ENRICHMENT PROGRAM: To balance the intensive academic program in the morning, students devote their afternoons to the arts, sports, and practical work, selecting from some eighty possible courses. Blacksmithing, skiing or snowboarding, graphic design studio courses, woodworking, painting, pottery, rock-climbing, the annual Shakespeare production, French theater, classical, jazz, folk, and pop music ensembles, instrumental and voice lessons, gardening, and animal husbandry are just a few of the fields students can choose to explore and then concentrate on in their afternoons.
- ACCREDITED OUTDOOR PROGRAM: We are the only school in Switzerland with an accredited outdoor program. The outdoor program includes the ski and snowboard program, moutaineering, climbing, multi-day hikes in the Swiss and Italian Alps, kayaking, and mountain biking - all led by qualified outdoor educators.
- "ECOLE FAMILY SYSTEM: Our students live in "Ecole families" with 6-10 students. Each family is headed by two or three teachers and lives in one of the school`s houses or chalets. Families eat together in the common dining hall. One evening a week they spend time together playing games, cooking, or working on projects. Living in a mixed group including students of both sexes and various ages and cultures helps everyone to see beyond stereotypes and to appreciate individual differences. The comfortable atmosphere in the families helps new students feel at home within a short period of time. Teachers take particular interest in the students in their family, and are concerned with their total development on a day-to-day basis.
- SUSTAINABILITY: The Ecole d'Humanit is commited to maintaining an evnrionmentally resposible lifestyle. In addition to participating in our farm and gardening program, students can choose to work with our flock of goats and learn cheese-making.
- ADMISSIONS: Inquiries for the American curriculum program should be directed to June Vinhateiro, our Director of Admissions. The U.S. phone number is +1.401.996.8682 and the email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. The school's phone number in Switzerland is +41.33.972.9292.
- LD types supported: Students with a range of learning differences often do well with our small classes and focus on individual learning style.
- Ecole d'Humanité accreditations: Our school program is accredited by AdvancED and our our outdoor program is certified by Safety in Adventures.
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Ecole d'Humanité
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 7-12, PG | 340 students 62.8 milesChemin de la Source
Leysin, Switzerland 1854
+41 24 493 48 8862.87-12, PG340
- Grades: 6-12, PG| 715 students 62.5 milesVia Collina d'Oro
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Montagnola, Switzerland 6926
+41 91 960 51 5162.56-12, PG715
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
- Grades: 8-12, PG| 360 students 509.3 milesColdharbour Lane
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Thorpe, Surrey TW20 8TE, United Kingdom tw20 8te
+44 1932 565252509.38-12, PG360
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 60 students 435.8 milesvia Cavour 13
Lanciano (CH), Italy 66034
+39 0872 714969435.89-12, PG60
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 294 students 396.8 milesVia Aventina 3
Rome, Italy 00153
+39 06 575 0605396.89-12, PG294
Four reasons shaped our decision. I share these and other insights with you.
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
What are you allowed to bring to boarding school? What are you not allowed to bring to boarding school? Answers to those questions and more.