Leysin American School in Switzerland (LAS)
- "Developing innovative, compassionate and responsible citizens of the world"- Located in picturesque Leysin, facing the panorama of the Southern Alps, LAS has both a strong academic ethos and an inspirational setting! The school combines an American educational philosophy with the rigor of a European educational system.
- The first American boarding school in Switzerland to offer the International Baccalaureate diploma we offer a comprehensive US university preparatory curriculum with courses in all major subjects from Grades 7 - 12.
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Leysin American School in Switzerland (LAS)|
|School Focus||College Preparatory|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 7-12, PG|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1070|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||n/a|
|Number of IB Courses Offered||28|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$10,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes|
|Director of Admissions||Christoph Ott|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||20 Interscholastic Sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Cycling, Golf, Ice Hockey, Indoor Soccer, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Rock Climbing, Rugby, Snowboarding, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||19 Extracurriculars|
|Extracurriculars||Audio/Visual Class, choral ensemble, Gunn Society, Hiking Club, Historical Movie Club, HMA Players (Drama), Juggling, Junior Beta Club (7th & 8th Grade), Marching Band, Multi-Cultural Club, MUN, National Beta Club, National Honor Society, Presidential Physical Fitness, RC Club (Radio Control), Sabre Club (Seniors), USA Swimming, Wellness Club, Wick (School Newspaper)|
- Located in Leysin, facing the panorama of the Southern Alps, LAS has both a strong academic ethos and an inspirational setting!
- An American educational philosophy with the rigor of a European educational system
- The first American boarding school in Switzerland to offer the International Baccalaureate diploma
- A comprehensive US university preparatory curriculum with courses in all major subjects.
- For non-native English speakers, integrated English-as-a-Second-Language (ESL) program promotes academic and linguistic growth through intensive work in reading, writing, listening comprehension and conversational English
- Strong relations between parents, students and ourselves utilize internet-based systems for detailed information about their child`s education
- Extra-curricular program with exciting recreational activities, extensive cultural travel and fine art courses Boarding community provides a stable, caring and supportive family-like environment
- Faculty members live in dormitories with student-centered education, where close relationships lead to each student achieving his or her potential
- Three full time professional college counselors
- Professional SAT and TOEFL Preparatory Courses
- 100% of our graduates continue education at colleges and universities
- 68% of our graduates have enrolled in the top 100 universities (Barron`s Guide).
- Summer camps called Summer in Switzerland (SIS), an educational and recreational program for young people ages 8 - 18
- Winter Camp starting in January 2012.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- Leysin American School in Switzerland (LAS) accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Submit Review for Leysin American School in Switzerland (LAS)
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 60 students 462.4 milesvia Cavour 13
Lanciano (CH), Italy 66034
Learn why more and more students are choosing to do a gap or post graduate (PG) year at boarding school.
The typical three-month-long summer break gives juniors and seniors a great opportunity to explore a variety of situations and options.
Learning about a school from its website and social media pages is useful as you decide which school to choose. So is hearing what the school's alumni say about their alma mater.