Thomas Jefferson School
Thomas Jefferson School Photo #2 - AP Calculus BC exams are much more enjoyable when given outdoors.
Small by design. Our campus of 75 boarding and day students is like a family. You are known. You are cared for.
Deliberately diverse. Our students come to learn and live together from 7 countries and 6 states.
Varsity academics. Our classical, core, college prepatory curriculum was designed for an academically talented student.
Life prep. Students immerse themselves in the arts, athletics, friendships and clubs.
St. Louis, MO. Once known as the "gateway to the west"; now, the gateway to the world.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Wesleyan University while T.J. advertises itself as a bastion of classical education, I think that its size and its English program really make it stand out. English at Thomas Jefferson is a serious matter; students learn the. . .
- University of Richmond Thomas Jefferson academics are extremely rigorous and are the central focus of the student body and faculty. That said, the school has broadened the variety of extracurricular activities and options over the last few. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Thomas Jefferson||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||20 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||74 students||302 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1440||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1400 - 1580||-|
|Average ACT score||31||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Casual dress Monday through Thursday. Formal dress each Friday.)
|Average Class Size||14 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$2.5 million||$24 million|
(5-day boarding and 7-day boarding options are available.)
|Tuition international students||$60,050||$53,975|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$22,556||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 12 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Mr. Richard Eber|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||18|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Comparative Government & Politics, AP Computer Science Principles, AP Economics, AP English Language & Composition, AP English Literature & Composition, AP French, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Physics, AP Physics 2, AP Statistics, AP U.S. Government & Politics, AP U.S. History, Italian, Latin may be offered at the discretion of the department|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||5||16|
|Sports||Basketball, Dance, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||23||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Art and Literature Magazine, Art Club, Athletics Committee, Boarding Council, Chess Club, Chorus and Select Chorus, Coffee Shop, Film Club, FIRST Robotics, Gay Straight Alliance, Junior Achievement Club, LARP, Mock Trial, Music Club, Newspaper, Photography Club, Pottery Activity, Pottery Room Monitor, Spirit Club, Whispers (Yearbook), Woodshop
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fitness Club, Yoga
|Year: 2016 - 2018||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Washington University in St. Louis||4|
|University of Chicago||3|
|New York University||2|
|The Johns Hopkins University||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- TJ is an internationally respected, coed day and boarding school for grades 7-12. TJ is located on a beautiful 20-acre campus in suburban St. Louis, MO, where students come from twenty eight St. Louis zip codes, six states, and seven countries to connect with others who share the same passion for learning. No matter their background, TJ students share energy, independence, intellectual curiosity, and a commitment to preparing for college. Since 1946, TJ has been a greenhouse for true intellectual growth. The classical liberal arts curriculum emphasizes depth in a college preparatory core, and as a result, students` SAT scores consistently position TJ among the world`s top boarding and day schools. TJ`s program emphasizes responsibility for oneself and for the community, and holds students to high expectations in every area of school life. College preparation is TJ`s specialty. Students receive an unparalleled academic foundation- by senior year, all subjects are studied at the AP level-and a daily schedule encourages the development of personal independence. All graduates move on to four-year colleges and universities across the nation and abroad, where they settle in with confidence and ease.
- Thomas Jefferson School accreditations: ISACS, NAIS, TABS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Hon. Thomas P. Griesa, '48 - Frmr US District Judge
- Mr. Bernat Rosner, '50 - Frmr General Counsel of Safeway; Author
- Mr. John H. Biggs, '54 - Director of Boeing Co.; Frmr CEO of TIAA-Cref
- Mr. Dan Little, '61 - Attorney
- Mr. Irv Williamson, 61 - US International Trade Commissioner
- Dr. Richard Levy, '63 - Pediatric Endocrinologist
- Mr. Keith Williamson, '70 - Senior VP and General Counsel for Centene Corporation
- Ms. Aimee Dowl, '92 - US Department of State; Author
- Dr. Dave Messina, '92 - COO at Cofactor Genomics
- Ms. Alisa Tang, '92 - Editor, Washington Post
Profile last updated: 06/24/2021
- Submit Review for Thomas Jefferson School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Are you thinking about sending your daughter off to boarding school? Go for it!
Actually, there is no secret to getting your child into boarding school. Just a lot of hard work and a heavy commitment of time.
You've tried everything but still your child has serious issues. Perhaps it's time to think about sending him to a residential therapeutic school.