Thomas Jefferson School
Thomas Jefferson School students' SAT scores consistently position them amongst the top 2% of test-takers.
- A coeducational boarding and day school, Thomas Jefferson School gives its students the strongest possible classical education within a close-knit, international community.
- A belief in greater student responsibility translates into a daily schedule of discussion-based morning classes and afternoon study groups and tutorials.
- New facilities enhance athletics and fine arts. Average SAT scores consistently place TJ among world's top boarding schools, all graduates go on colleges and universities.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Wesleyan University while T.J. advertises itself as a bastion of classical education, I think that its size and its English program really make it stand out. English at Thomas Jefferson is a serious matter; students learn the. . .
- University of Richmond Thomas Jefferson academics are extremely rigorous and are the central focus of the student body and faculty. That said, the school has broadened the variety of extracurricular activities and options over the last few. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Thomas Jefferson||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||20 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||83 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1460||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1400 - 1580||-|
|Average ACT score||31||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Casual dress Monday through Thursday. Formal dress each Friday.)
|Average Class Size||14 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$1 million||$17 million|
|Tuition international students||$50,950||$47,500|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Erin Walsh|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||17|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Comparative Government & Politics, AP Economics, AP English Language & Composition, AP English Literature & Composition, AP French, Italian, and Latin may be offered at the discretion of the department., AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Physics, AP Physics 2, AP Statistics, AP U.S. Government & Politics, AP U.S. History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||5||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Dance, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||20||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Art and Literature Magazine, Art Club, Boarding Council, Chess Club, Film Club, Gay Straight Alliance, LARP, Math Club (competitions & tutoring), Mock Trial, Newspaper, Photography Club, Robotics Club, Spirit Club, Student Activities Committee, Student Admissions Assistants, Student Council, Theatre, Yearbook
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fitness Club, Yoga
|Year: 2007 - 2013||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||4|
|University of Chicago||3|
|Washington University in St. Louis||3|
|The Johns Hopkins University||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- TJ is an internationally respected, coed day and boarding school for grades 712. TJ is located on a beautiful 20-acre campus in Sunset Hills, where students come from twenty eight St. Louis zip codes, five states, and seven countries to connect with others who share the same passion for learning. No matter their background, TJ students share energy, independence, intellectual curiosity, and a commitment to preparing for college. Since 1946, TJ has been a greenhouse for true intellectual growth. The classical liberal arts curriculum emphasizes depth in a college preparatory core, and as a result, students` SAT scores consistently position TJ among the world`s top boarding and day schools. TJ`s program emphasizes responsibility for oneself and for the community, and holds students to high expectations in every area of school life. College preparation is TJ`s specialty. Students receive an unparalleled academic foundation- by senior year, all subjects are studied at the AP level-and a daily schedule encourages the development of personal independence. All graduates move on to four-year colleges and universities across the nation and abroad, where they settle in with confidence and ease.
- School accreditations: ISACS, TABS
- Submit Review for Thomas Jefferson School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
March 19, 2018
Some cynics think single-sex education is old-fashioned. The Kiski School shows how educating boys in a single-sex school is successful.
March 14, 2018
Determining which programs are 'must haves' is an important part of choosing the right boarding school for your child.
March 08, 2018
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.