Thomas Jefferson School
Thomas Jefferson School Photo #2 - AP Calculus BC exams are much more enjoyable when given outdoors.
Top 2% Best High School for STEM in America | Top 2% Best College Prep Private High School in America
Top 3% Best Private High School in America | #1 Best Boarding School in Missouri
Small by design. Our campus of 81 boarding and day students is like a family. You are known. You are cared for.
Varsity academics. Our classical, core, college prepatory curriculum was designed for an academically talented student.
360 degree college prep: Students immerse themselves in the arts, athletics, friendships, and clubs.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Wesleyan University while T.J. advertises itself as a bastion of classical education, I think that its size and its English program really make it stand out. English at Thomas Jefferson is a serious matter; students learn the. . .
- University of Richmond Thomas Jefferson academics are extremely rigorous and are the central focus of the student body and faculty. That said, the school has broadened the variety of extracurricular activities and options over the last few. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|Thomas Jefferson||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||20 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||81 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1450||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1400 - 1580||-|
|Average ACT score||31||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Casual dress Monday through Thursday. Formal dress each Friday.)
|Average Class Size||14 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$2.5 million||$25 million|
(5-day boarding and 7-day boarding options are available.)
|Tuition international students||$60,050||$54,500|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$22,556||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 12 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Mr. Richard Eber|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||18|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Comparative Government & Politics, AP Computer Science Principles, AP Economics, AP English Language & Composition, AP English Literature & Composition, AP French, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Physics, AP Physics 2, AP Statistics, AP U.S. Government & Politics, AP U.S. History, Italian, Latin may be offered at the discretion of the department|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||5||16|
|Sports||Basketball, Dance, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||23||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Art and Literature Magazine, Art Club, Athletics Committee, Boarding Council, Chess Club, Chorus and Select Chorus, Coffee Shop, Film Club, FIRST Robotics, Gay Straight Alliance, Junior Achievement Club, LARP, Mock Trial, Music Club, Newspaper, Photography Club, Pottery Activity, Pottery Room Monitor, Spirit Club, Whispers (Yearbook), Woodshop
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fitness Club, Yoga
|Year: 2016 - 2018||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Washington University in St. Louis||4|
|University of Chicago||3|
|New York University||2|
|The Johns Hopkins University||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The top-ranked Thomas Jefferson School (TJ) is internationally recognized as one of the best boarding and day schools. TJ stands in the Top 2% in America for Best High Schools for STEM and Best College Prep Private High Schools. Since 1946, TJ has instilled intellectual rigor and personal and social responsibility in its students as they prepare for college life. Visit the picturesque campus and experience what makes TJ one of the top schools in the country! Learn more at www.tjs.org.
- Application deadline: January 11/Rolling
- Top 3% Best Private High Schools in America (niche.com)
- 1450/31 is the average SAT/ACT score
- Thomas Jefferson School accreditations: ISACS, NAIS, TABS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Hon. Thomas P. Griesa, '48 - Frmr US District Judge
- Mr. Bernat Rosner, '50 - Frmr General Counsel of Safeway; Author
- Mr. John H. Biggs, '54 - Director of Boeing Co.; Frmr CEO of TIAA-Cref
- Mr. Irv Williamson, 61 - US International Trade Commissioner
- Dr. Richard Levy, '63 - Pediatric Endocrinologist
- Mr. Keith Williamson, '70 - Senior VP and General Counsel for Centene Corporation
- Ms. Aimee Dowl, '92 - US Department of State; Author
- Dr. Dave Messina, '92 - COO at Cofactor Genomics
- Ms. Alisa Tang, '92 - Editor, Washington Post
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Thomas Jefferson School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Thinking about making a major gift to your school? How about endowing a faculty chair? More here.
American boarding schools have always welcomed international students. Rigorous academic programs, extensive athletic programs, and a wide range of extracurricular activities attract students from all over the world.
Admissions to boarding school is a process with many components. The process can be confusing to parents dealing with boarding school admissions for the first time. We guide you through the process.