- A coeducational boarding and day school, Thomas Jefferson School gives its students the strongest possible classical education within a close-knit, international community.
- A belief in greater student responsibility translates into a daily schedule of discussion-based morning classes and afternoon study groups and tutorials.
- New facilities enhance athletics and fine arts. Average SAT scores consistently place TJ among world's top boarding schools, all graduates go on colleges and universities.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Wesleyan University while T.J. advertises itself as a bastion of classical education, I think that its size and its English program really make it stand out. English at Thomas Jefferson is a serious matter; students learn the. . .
- University of Richmond Thomas Jefferson academics are extremely rigorous and are the central focus of the student body and faculty. That said, the school has broadened the variety of extracurricular activities and options over the last few. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Thomas Jefferson||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||7-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||20 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||85 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||2050||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||2000 - 2340||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual
(Casual dress Monday through Thursday. Formal dress each Friday.)
|Average Class Size||14 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$1 million||$16 million|
|Tuition international students||$49,050||$47,400|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Dec. 16 / Feb. 17 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Stephen Held|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||16|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Comparative Government & Politics, AP Economics, AP English Language & Composition, AP English Literature & Composition, AP French, Italian, and Latin may be offered at the discretion of the department., AP Physics, AP Statistics, AP U.S. History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||4||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||14||23|
|Extracurriculars||Art and Literature Magazine, Art Club, Chess Club, Film Club, Math Club (competitions & tutoring), Mock Trial, Newspaper, Photography Club, Robotics Club, Student Activities Committee, Student Admissions Assistants, Student Council, Theatre, Yearbook|
|Year: 2007 - 2013||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||4|
|University of Chicago||3|
|Washington University in St. Louis||3|
|The Johns Hopkins University||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Thomas Jefferson School (TJ) offers an unparalleled college-preparatory curriculum in a close-knit, supportive academic community. For nearly 70 years TJ`s liberal arts approach has been a launching pad for college and professional success. College preparation is our speciality: all of our graduates move on to four-year colleges and universities across the nation and abroad. Average SAT scores consistently position TJ among the world`s top boarding schools. With a daily schedule of concise morning classes and a student teacher ratio of 7:1, students enjoy focused individual attention with faculty, advisors and staff. Students develop their academic talents as well as their autonomy. Most Junior students take two AP courses while Seniors take all AP coursework in their final year. Day students share dorm space on a picturesque 20 acre campus with boarding students from 26 St. Louis area zip codes, eight states and 11 countries. Students live and learn amidst faculty members and resident assistants in cottages throughout the grounds. The Charles Merrill building serves as the hub of activity housing classrooms and the dining room. Additional campus facilities offer access to athletics and the fine arts. Five-day boarding for regional families is a popular option. Nearly 40% of TJ`s families receive financial assistance. As a current TJ student has said "TJ is more than a school. TJ has given me my voice."
- School accreditations: ISACS
Submit Review for Thomas Jefferson School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
May 18, 2017
The International Baccalaureate programmes cover the entire K-12 spectrum with three distinct educational curricula. In this article, we focus on American private high schools which offer the Diploma Programme.
May 11, 2017
In 1957-58 Peter Denis attended a boarding school in Switzerland. In this article he recounts his experiences for us.
April 26, 2017
Vision. Generosity. High-minded principles. These are the hallmarks of the benefactors of the five schools featured in this article.