Wy'East Mountain Academy
Wy`East Mountain Academy is an exceptional and unique private boarding school for snowboarders, freestyle skiers, skateboarders, mountain bikers and lovers of the outdoors. Students train with Olympic medal winning coaches, excel in competitions within their sport, travel to world-class destinations and thrive while living on a beautiful 28-acre campus in the Pacific Northwest.
We accept all levels of student athletes from beginner to advanced. In addition to elite level coaching programs, we provide a challenging and rigorous college preparatory academic environment.
- Cool school: Students work towards diploma, graduate to higher level on the slopes at Wy'East Mountain Academy - 02/02/2020 - KPTV News Portland, interviewing and filming our snowboard team February, 2020
- Mt Hood’s Wy’East Mountain Academy Announces Elijah Teter As Director Of Snowboarding. - 07/16/2019 - Snow Industry News Press Release on Elijah Teter Joining Wy'East
- GO TO SCHOOL - FOR FREERIDE! - 07/03/2018 - IFSA News / Freeskiers.org introduces Big Mountain Program
- Snow school: Windells Academy a Winter Olympics launchpad - 02/18/2018 - KOIN Portland News interviews and runs story on Windells Academy (Wy'East Mountain Academy)
- Windells Academy & Hillsboro Aero Academy Launch Aviation Program for High School Students - 01/24/2018 - Cision PR News Wire: Windells Academy & Hillsboro Aero Academy Launch Aviation Program for High School Students
- Summer Camp in the Snow Becomes a Full-Time School - 08/28/2010 - New York Times article on the launching of Windells Academy (Wy'East Mountain Academy)
- ...read more
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- na Wy'East mountain academy had a number of extremely accomplished staff (in action sports and life) relative to the small student population.. . .
- Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières I would say that one of the unique aspect is to not have any teachers teaching you directly. Learning by yourself at your own rhythm helps build your sense of responsibility and help you prioritize. . .
- American Military University I think the most glaring unique aspect of this school was the campus and day-to-day activities. The entire campus was essentially a skate park, and at the time they were in the process of building. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Wy'East Mountain||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||7-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||28 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||35 students||306 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||1:12||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||11||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$14,500|
(Cost varies depending length of term)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Tuition international students||$54,500||$53,848|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Dan Tattersfield|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Mike Hanley|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||9||16|
|Sports||Climbing, Freestyle Skiing, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Paddle Tennis, Rock Climbing, Ski Jumping, Snowboarding, Surf Team|
- Wy'East Mountain Academy students range from 12 to 19 years old, 7th to 12th grade, with an option to continue with college courses up to age 20. Our students follow an online curriculum supported by teachers in a physical classroom environment, and adhere to a disciplined training schedule with their coaches for the rest of the day. Most snow sports students train on the mountain in the morning and attend class in the afternoon, while most skateboard and mountain bike students attend class in the morning and train in the afternoon. All students take their laptops and continue their classes while travelling. Wy`East Mountain Academy accepts all levels of student athletes, and we excel at helping students fulfill their potential and reach advanced levels in their sports. We offer Snowboarding, Skiing, Skateboarding and Mountain Biking as our focuses. Within the Skiing and Snowboarding programs we offer "park" and "big mountain" options. All programs travel extensively and attend national and international competitions.
- Wy'East Mountain Academy accreditations: Accreditation International, NCPSA, US Ski and Snowboard Certified Club, SEVP Authorized School
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Nick Goepper - Two-time Olympic medal winner in Slopestyle Skiing, Three-time Winter X Game gold medal winner, Board Member of WyEast Mountain Academy
- Alex Beaulieu-Marchand - Bronze medal winner in Slopestyle at Pyeongchang, Korea Winter Olympics X Games silver medalist 2019 Slopestyle and Big Air
- Alex Hackel - Member of US Ski Team, winner of 2020 X Games Real Ski Crowd Favorite
- Lyman Currier - Two-time Olympian, Halfpipe Ski
- Kristaps Thompson - Canadian National Ski Team, McGill Graduate School of Engineering
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Wy'East Mountain Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 1550 students 2631.6 miles8401 Belvedere Rd
West Palm Beach, FL 33411
- Grades: 6-12, PG | 150 students 2132.5 miles1701 Brandon Hall Drive
Atlanta, GA 30350
(770) 394-81772132.56-12, PG150
In the United States and throughout the world, it is well-documented that even though boys score as well as girls on standardized tests, they are less likely to receive good grades, take advanced courses,and attend college. Learn how boys schools can help address these concerns.
As amazing as it sounds, corporal punishment is still legal in over 20 states. Fortunately private schools banned the practice many decades ago.
There are many reasons to go to boarding school. The academics, the athletics and the extracurricular activities are just a few considerations. Here are the 10 top reasons why you should go to boarding school.