A+ World Academy
5.00 (7 reviews)
Tel: 47904180 Ext. 47
International (on a Tall Ship)
Kristiansand 4610, Norway
Kristiansand 4610, Norway
A+ World Academy Photo #3 - Students at A+ World Academy receive sail training to be able to perform sailing maneuvers like the ones seen here.
A+ World Academy Photo #4 - The A+ World Academy students develop a tight bond with one another, spending time working as a team throughout the year and acting as a tight-knit community.
A+ World Academy Photo #5 - At A+ World Academy, students even take part in steering our ship. Total hands on experience!
A+ World Academy Photo #7 - Climbing up the masts is one of the favorite activities on board A+ World Academy.
A+ World Academy Photo #8 - Our beautiful campus: Srlandet, the pride and home of A+ World Academy students.
A+ World Academy Photo #9 - Regular instruction takes place in several classroom locations: port and starboard banjer and two smaller classrooms called nooks. Most of our classes are held at sea, though some take place in port as well. Teachers have access to projectors and traditional white boards, and other tools to ensure the best possible learning environment for our students. Course and weather permitting,
A+ World Academy Photo #10 - One of the biggest challenges of attending a high school on a tall ship is that each student will need to balance school work with maritime responsibilities as well as time to enjoy the experience. A student who quickly understands the value of time management will have a big advantage in this type of environment.
A+ World Academy is an International boarding school on a Ship.
Up to 64 students in grades 11, 12 and gap year live and work aboard the 92 year old Norwegian Tall Ship, Sorlandet, while they take AP classes and travel the world. They even have the option of completing the AP Capstone Diploma
Students travel to +15 port cities and discover the world while they complete an academic year.
A high school on a ship presents real-life political, social and environmental choices.
Students live in tight quarters and must learn to communicate, work as a team, and show consideration.
They take part in watches and daily duties on board and develop life skills such as time management, work-ethic, community-mindedness, and team work.
They overcome challenges on a daily basis, strengthening their character and confidence.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- KG A + World Academy is an Unique School which allows you to grow as a person. It offers a program combining normal classes With Field studies all around the world, allowing you to Discover new. . .
- Kristiansand Katedralskole Gimle The biggest difference from other schools is that all the students live on a ship while sailing the world. That experience is something you can carry for the rest of your life.Another aspect of. . .
- None The moats unique thing about A+ World Academy is the fact that it’s a school on a tall ship. You’re not only attending the school, you’re also working as a crew member on the ship. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
A+ World Academy is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 302 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|A+ World Academy|
|School Focus||College Preparatory|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 11-12, PG|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||10|
|ESL Courses Offered||No|
|Summer Program Offered||No|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Director of Admissions||Matthieu Aemisegger|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|Total Advanced Courses Offered||10|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, Comparative Government and Politics, English Literature and Composition , Human Geography, Physics, Psychology, Spanish, Visual Arts|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||1 Interscholastic Sports|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||8 Extracurriculars|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Any club students want to organize, Baking Club, Diving Club, Golf Club, Holiday Party Organization, Student Council, Yearbook Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year: 2015-2021||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Kings College London||6|
|Arizona State University||5|
|Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México||5|
|Birmingham University SUNY||3|
|Pearson United World College||3|
|University of Victoria||3|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- A+ World Academy is an academic, university preparatory high school on a Ship.
- We offer an American curriculum in which students take AP courses, offering the additional of option of completing the AP Capstone Diploma.
- A+ World Academy students go on to university after graduation when they're in 12th grade or gap year.
- Students live in a challenging maritime environment that fosters independence, communication, teamwork and leadership.
- The school is new, but our history is old. Even though the school was established in 2015, it evolved from a school that was established in the 80s, and the ship has been used for educational purposes since it was launched in 1927. In 2015 we combined these two elements to create a program that prepares students for university, the world and for leadership.
- Classes vary in size from 2 to 18 students (usually below 15), and teachers are ready to support our students around the clock.
- All of our 900 hours of instruction take place on board. Students have lectures, presentations, and group work.
- In port, our time is different. Half our time is spent on shore leave. Students will have the opportunity to explore the different ports in groups of four and feel for themselves the pulse of different cities. The other half of the time students will attend school lead excursions that immerse students in the most historical and culturally relevant parts of the city.
- The A+ campus is the world`s oldest operating fully rigged tall ship. We sailed for 40 years without an engine, and even today we sail about 90% of the time. Operating a ship takes teamwork. Students need to work together to move the ship from one port to the other. This generates a huge feeling of accomplishment in our students, as they can say that they helped sail this incredible ship around the world one more time.
- A+ World Academy accreditations: MSA - Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for A+ World Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 7-12, PG | 340 students 816.4 milesChemin de la Source
Leysin, Switzerland 1854
In the United States and throughout the world, it is well-documented that even though boys score as well as girls on standardized tests, they are less likely to receive good grades, take advanced courses,and attend college. Learn how boys schools can help address these concerns.
As amazing as it sounds, corporal punishment is still legal in over 20 states. Fortunately private schools banned the practice many decades ago.
There are many reasons to go to boarding school. The academics, the athletics and the extracurricular activities are just a few considerations. Here are the 10 top reasons why you should go to boarding school.