A+ World Academy
5.00 (7 reviews)
Tel: +47 479 04 180
International (on a Tall Ship)
Bern 3007, Switzerland
Bern 3007, Switzerland
A+ World Academy Photo #2 - Occasionally studying outside is one of the perks of studying at A+ World Academy!
A+ World Academy Photo #4 - At A+ World Academy, students even take part in steering our ship. Total hands on experience!
A+ World Academy Photo #5 - A+ World Academy students work together to get our ship from point A to point B.
A+ World Academy Photo #6 - Climbing up the masts is one of the favorite activities on board A+ World Academy.
A+ World Academy Photo #7 - Students at A+ World Academy receive sail training to be able to perform sailing maneuvers like the ones seen here.
A+ World Academy Photo #8 - A+ World Academy students look forward to ringing our bell every time we see land again!
A+ World Academy Photo #9 - Our beautiful Sorlandet, the pride and home of A+ World Academy students.
- A+ World Academy is an International boarding school on a Ship.
- Up to 64 students in grades 11, 12 and gap year live and work aboard the 92 year old Norwegian Tall Ship, Sorlandet, while they take AP classes and travel the world. They even have the option of completing the AP Capstone Diploma
- Students travel to +15 port cities and discover the world while they complete an academic year.
- A high school on a ship presents real-life political, social and environmental choices.
- Students live in tight quarters and must learn to communicate, work as a team, and show consideration.
- They take part in watches and daily duties on board and develop life skills such as time management, work-ethic, community-mindedness, and team work.
- They overcome challenges on a daily basis, strengthening their character and confidence.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- KG A + World Academy is an Unique School which allows you to grow as a person. It offers a program combining normal classes With Field studies all around the world, allowing you to Discover new. . .
- Kristiansand Katedralskole Gimle The biggest difference from other schools is that all the students live on a ship while sailing the world. That experience is something you can carry for the rest of your life.Another aspect of. . .
- None The moats unique thing about A+ World Academy is the fact that it’s a school on a tall ship. You’re not only attending the school, you’re also working as a crew member on the ship. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
A+ World Academy is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 313 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|A+ World Academy|
|School Focus||College Preparatory|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 11-12, PG|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||10|
|ESL Courses Offered||No|
|Summer Program Offered||No|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Director of Admissions||Matthieu Aemisegger|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|Total Advanced Courses Offered||10|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, Comparative Government and Politics, English Literature and Composition , Human Geography, Physics, Psychology, Spanish|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||1 Interscholastic Sports|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||8 Extracurriculars|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Any club students want to organize, Baking Club, Diving Club, Golf Club, Holiday Party Organization, Student Council, Yearbook Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- A+ World Academy is an academic, university preparatory high school on a Ship.
- We offer an American curriculum in which students take AP courses, offering the additional of option of completing the AP Capstone Diploma.
- A+ World Academy students go on to university after graduation when they're in 12th grade or gap year.
- Students live in a challenging maritime environment that fosters independence, communication, teamwork and leadership.
- The school is new, but our history is old. Even though the school was established in 2015, it evolved from a school that was established in the 80s, and the ship has been used for educational purposes since it was launched in 1927. In 2015 we combined these two elements to create a program that prepares students for university, the world and for leadership.
- Classes vary in size from 2 to 18 students (usually below 15), and teachers are ready to support our students around the clock.
- All of our 900 hours of instruction take place on board. Students have lectures, presentations, and group work.
- In port, our time is different. Half our time is spent on shore leave. Students will have the opportunity to explore the different ports in groups of four and feel for themselves the pulse of different cities. The other half of the time students will attend school lead excursions that immerse students in the most historical and culturally relevant parts of the city.
- The A+ campus is the world`s oldest operating fully rigged tall ship. We sailed for 40 years without an engine, and even today we sail about 90% of the time. Operating a ship takes teamwork. Students need to work together to move the ship from one port to the other. This generates a huge feeling of accomplishment in our students, as they can say that they helped sail this incredible ship around the world one more time.
- A+ World Academy accreditations: MSA - Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for A+ World Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 7-12, PG | 340 students 46.6 milesChemin de la Source
Leysin, Switzerland 1854
+41 24 493 48 8846.67-12, PG340
- Grades: 6-12, PG| 715 students 96.8 milesVia Collina d'Oro
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Montagnola, Switzerland 6926
+41 91 960 51 5196.86-12, PG715
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Four reasons shaped our decision. I share these and other insights with you.
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
What are you allowed to bring to boarding school? What are you not allowed to bring to boarding school? Answers to those questions and more.