A+ World Academy
5.00 (7 reviews)
International (on a Tall Ship)
Kristiansand, 4610, Norway
Kristiansand, 4610, Norway
A+ World Academy Photo #3 - Students at A+ World Academy receive sail training to be able to perform sailing maneuvers like the ones seen here.
A+ World Academy Photo #4 - The A+ World Academy students develop a tight bond with one another, spending time working as a team throughout the year and acting as a tight-knit community.
A+ World Academy Photo #5 - At A+ World Academy, students even take part in steering our ship. Total hands on experience!
A+ World Academy Photo #7 - Climbing up the masts is one of the favorite activities on board A+ World Academy.
A+ World Academy Photo #8 - Our beautiful campus: Srlandet, the pride and home of A+ World Academy students.
A+ World Academy Photo #9 - Regular instruction takes place in several classroom locations: port and starboard banjer and two smaller classrooms called nooks. Most of our classes are held at sea, though some take place in port as well. Teachers have access to projectors and traditional white boards, and other tools to ensure the best possible learning environment for our students. Course and weather permitting,
A+ World Academy Photo #10 - One of the biggest challenges of attending a high school on a tall ship is that each student will need to balance school work with maritime responsibilities as well as time to enjoy the experience. A student who quickly understands the value of time management will have a big advantage in this type of environment.
Sail across the world and live a life of adventure, sailing, and exploring exotic cultures while completing grade 11, 12, or a gap year! We provide up to 64 students each year the opportunity to undertake an elite global educational endeavor.
Our students embark on a 10-month journey that takes them to 15+ ports of call across the Atlantic Ocean as they attend a fully accredited high school on the world`s oldest active fully rigged tall ship.
We equip our students with maritime training, allowing them to take on the responsibilities required to sail and maintain our beautiful ship the Sorlandet.
Our student's will take AP classes while they travel the world. They even have the option of completing the AP Capstone Diploma.
Aboard our ship, students enter into a close-knit community of peers that experience the world rather than looking at photos on social media or reading about cultures from a textbook.
This experience creates resilient, globalized, and confident young adults who are ready to become the global leaders they are meant to be. The only question is are you willing to take the adventure of a lifetime?
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- KG A + World Academy is an Unique School which allows you to grow as a person. It offers a program combining normal classes With Field studies all around the world, allowing you to Discover new. . .
- Kristiansand Katedralskole Gimle The biggest difference from other schools is that all the students live on a ship while sailing the world. That experience is something you can carry for the rest of your life.Another aspect of. . .
- None The moats unique thing about A+ World Academy is the fact that it’s a school on a tall ship. You’re not only attending the school, you’re also working as a crew member on the ship. . .
All Schools Similar Size Schools
A+ World Academy ranks among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 304 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|A+ World Academy|
|School Focus||College Preparatory|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 11-12, PG|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||10|
|ESL Courses Offered||No|
|Summer Program Offered||No|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No|
|Application Deadline||Jul. 31 / rolling|
|Director of Admissions||Adam Rule|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|Total Advanced Courses Offered||10|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, Comparative Government and Politics, English Literature and Composition , Human Geography, Physics, Psychology, Spanish, Visual Arts|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||1 Interscholastic Sports|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||8 Extracurriculars|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Any club students want to organize, Baking Club, Diving Club, Golf Club, Holiday Party Organization, Student Council, Yearbook Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year: 2015-2021||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Kings College London||6|
|Arizona State University||5|
|Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México||5|
|Birmingham University SUNY||3|
|Pearson United World College||3|
|University of Victoria||3|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- A+ World Academy is an academic, university preparatory high school on a Ship.
- We offer an American curriculum in which students take AP courses, offering the additional of option of completing the AP Capstone Diploma.
- A+ World Academy students go on to university after graduation when they're in 12th grade or gap year.
- Students live in a challenging maritime environment that fosters independence, communication, teamwork and leadership.
- The school is new, but our history is old. Even though the school was established in 2015, it evolved from a school that was established in the 80s, and the ship has been used for educational purposes since it was launched in 1927. In 2015 we combined these two elements to create a program that prepares students for university, the world and for leadership.
- Classes vary in size from 2 to 18 students (usually below 15), and teachers are ready to support our students around the clock.
- In port, our time is different. Half our time is spent on shore leave. Students will have the opportunity to explore the different ports in groups of four and feel for themselves the pulse of different cities. The other half of the time students will attend school excursions that immerse students in the most historical and culturally relevant parts of the city.
- The A+ campus is the world`s oldest operating fully rigged tall ship. We sailed for 40 years without an engine, and even today we sail about 90% of the time. Operating a ship takes teamwork. Students need to work together to move the ship from one port to the other. This generates a huge feeling of accomplishment in our students, as they can say that they helped sail this incredible ship around the world one more time.
- A+ World Academy accreditations: MSA - Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for A+ World Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 7-12, PG | 300 students 816.4 milesChemin de la Source 3
Leysin, Switzerland 1854
The COVID-19 pandemic has changed just about everything in our day-to-day lives. Here's a look at how the pandemic is impacting boarding schools.
A military high school might be an option for your son or daughter. We take a look at what these schools offer.
Whether a school uses the Harkness Table™ or doesn't use the Harkness Table™ is a matter of teaching style worth exploring in some detail.