A+ World Academy
International (Swiss and Norwegian Headquarters). , Bern & Kristiansand 3007, Switzerland
- A+ World Academy is a boarding school on a Ship.
- Up to 60 students in grades 11 and 12 live and work the 90 year old Norwegian Tall Ship, Srlandet, while they take AP classes and travel the world.
- This high school is tough, and that`s the point. A high school on a ship presents real-life political, social and environmental choices.
- Students live close to one another and must learn to communicate and show consideration.
- They will take part in watches and daily duties aboard and develop life skills such as time management, work-ethic and team work.
- They overcome challenges on a daily basis that has shown to strengthen character and confidence.
- The best part? They will have the opportunity to obtain a high school diploma with AP courses while exploring the world and developing essential life skills that they can benefit from the rest of their lives.
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
A+ World Academy is Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 322 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|A+ World Academy|
|School Focus||College Preparatory|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 9-12, PG|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||10|
|ESL Courses Offered||No|
|Summer Program Offered||No|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Director of Admissions||Maria Mora|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Maria Mora|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|Total Advanced Courses Offered||10|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, Comparative Government and Politics, English Literature and Composition , Human Geography, Macroeconomics, Physics, Spanish, World History|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||1 Extracurriculars|
|Extracurriculars||Recreational Athletic Programs:|
Up to you: Student organised
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- It's a academic, university preparatory high school on a Ship.
- Students take AP courses, and go on to university after graduation.
- Students live in a challenging maritime environment that fosters independence, communication, teamwork and leadership.
- The school is new, but our history is old. Even though the school was established only in 2015, it evolved from a school that was established in the 80s, and the ship has been used for educational purposes since it was launched in 1927. In 2015 we combined these two elements to create a program that prepares students for university, the world and for leadership. We build our school on three pillars. A strong academic program.
- Classes that vary in size from 2 to 18 (usually below 15), and teachers that are ready to support our students around the clock.
- All of our 900 hours of instruction take place on board and most would recognize the form of instruction. They will have lectures, presentations, group work.
- In port, our time is different. Half our time is spent on shore leave. Students will have the opportunity to explore the different ports in groups of four and feel for themselves the pulse of different cities.
- At A+ the campus is the world`s oldest operating fully rigged tall ship. We sailed for 40 years without an engine, and even today we sail about 90% of the time. Operating a ship takes teamwork. Students need to work together to move the ship from one port to the other. Can you imagine the feeling of accomplishment having sailed around the world using by your own power and that of your friends? Can you imagine the excitement of the reward that a new port is having worked for it?
- A+ World Academy accreditations: Stanstead College, Marie Victorin, MSA Candidate
- Submit Review for A+ World Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 40 students 5907.9 miles345 South Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071
- Grades: 7-12, PG | 340 students 47 milesChemin de la Source
Leysin, Switzerland 1854
What makes some schools really better than others? What makes them the best schools?
"I'm wasting my time thinking about boarding school." No, you're not. Here's why.
We explain how to make going off to boarding school your child's idea.