A+ World Academy
International (Swiss and Norwegian Headquarters). , Bern & Kristiansand 3007, Switzerland
- A+ World Academy is a boarding school on a Ship.
- Up to 60 students in grades 11 and 12 live and work the 90 year old Norwegian Tall Ship, Srlandet, while they take AP classes and travel the world.
- Students travel to +20 port cities and discover the world while they complete an academic year.
- A high school on a ship presents real-life political, social and environmental choices.
- Students live close to one another and must learn to communicate, work as a team, and show consideration.
- They will take part in watches and daily duties aboard and develop life skills such as time management, work-ethic and team work.
- They overcome challenges on a daily basis, strengthening their character and confidence.
- The best part? They will have the opportunity to obtain a high school diploma with AP courses while exploring the world and developing essential life skills that they can benefit from the rest of their lives.
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
A+ World Academy is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 329 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|A+ World Academy|
|School Focus||College Preparatory|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 11-12, PG|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students|
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||10|
|ESL Courses Offered||No|
|Summer Program Offered||No|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Director of Admissions||Maria Mora|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Daniela Jaramillo|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|Total Advanced Courses Offered||10|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, Comparative Government and Politics, English Literature and Composition , Human Geography, Physics, Psychology, Spanish|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||1 Interscholastic Sports|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||1 Extracurriculars|
|Extracurriculars||Recreational Athletic Programs:|
Up to you: Student organised
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- It's an academic, university preparatory high school on a Ship.
- Students take AP courses, and go on to university after graduation.
- Students live in a challenging maritime environment that fosters independence, communication, teamwork and leadership.
- The school is new, but our history is old. Even though the school was established in 2015, it evolved from a school that was established in the 80s, and the ship has been used for educational purposes since it was launched in 1927. In 2015 we combined these two elements to create a program that prepares students for university, the world and for leadership.
- Classes vary in size from 2 to 18 students (usually below 15), and teachers are ready to support our students around the clock.
- All of our 900 hours of instruction take place on board. Students have lectures, presentations, and group work.
- In port, our time is different. Half our time is spent on shore leave. Students will have the opportunity to explore the different ports in groups of four and feel for themselves the pulse of different cities. The other half of the time students will attend school lead excursions that immerse students in the most historical and culturally relevant parts of the city.
- The A+ campus is the world`s oldest operating fully rigged tall ship. We sailed for 40 years without an engine, and even today we sail about 90% of the time. Operating a ship takes teamwork. Students need to work together to move the ship from one port to the other. This generates a huge feeling of accomplishment in our students, as they can say that they helped sail this incredible ship around the world one more time.
- A+ World Academy accreditations: MSA Candidate
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for A+ World Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 40 students 5937.1 miles345 South Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071
- Grades: 7-12, PG | 340 students 66 milesChemin de la Source
Leysin, Switzerland 1854
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.
Private school mottoes speak to the high-minded purposes for which most schools were founded.
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.