- Established in 1863, and located in Honolulu, Hawai'i, 'Iolani School is a culturally diverse, co-educational, college preparatory school for over 1900 students in grades K-12 founded upon Christian values.
- We are recognized as one of the top college preparatory schools in the United States and have more than 150 years of history embracing students from around the world.
- Academic excellence and personal growth flourish in an atmosphere that is challenging and competitive, yet caring and nurturing.
- Through dynamic and personalized instruction in a multitude of disciplines, 'Iolani develops liberally educated, well-rounded individuals who are well prepared for college and ready to assume their responsibilities as active, moral citizens.
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
'Iolani School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 318 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|'Iolani School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||7-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||K-12||7-12|
|Campus Size||25 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||2020 students||320 students|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||16 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:10||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||29||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$198.7 million||$20 million|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Kim Nguyen|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||29||18|
|Courses||Applied Research, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Capstone: AP Research, Capstone: AP Seminar, Chemistry, Chinese Language & Culture, Computer Science & Principles, English Literature, European History, French Language & Culture, Government & Politics|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Cross Country, Diving, Football, Golf, Kayaking, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, Wrestling|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- A unique location within the United States, Hawai'i stands apart as a true cultural polyglot - we speak and celebrate the languages of many cultures. This spirit infuses student life at 'Iolani School. Ethnic and cultural diversity are the very face of our school and this empowers students from many different backgrounds to be who they are, share their culture and form friendships that will last a lifetime.
- At 'Iolani School, we provide opportunities for the whole child, so that all students can pursue their passions and discover bigger parts of themselves. This is a safe place for trial and error, as well as intellectual risk taking.
- 'Iolani is a world learder in teaching innovation. The Sullivan Center for Innovation and Leadership is a 40,000 square foot facility dedicated to teaching innovation, leadership, applied technolgoies, research science, design, computer science and communcations.
- Outside the classroom, our students are engaged in 90+ clubs, organizations, and community service organizations and compete on more than 100 teams at the intermediate, junior varsity, and varsity level.
- 'Iolani School accreditations: WASC, HAIS, NAIS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for 'Iolani School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12 | 580 students 2411 miles4026 Maher St.
Napa, CA 94558
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 40 students 2558 miles345 South Figueroa Street
Los Angeles, CA 90071
Social media is an essential part of a boarding school's marketing strategy
Parents considering schools should read New York Times columnist Frank Bruni's book about college admissions entitled Where You Go Is Not Who You Will Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania. Much of what he says applies in the private K-12 world.
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.