Established in 1863, and located in Honolulu, Hawai'i, 'Iolani School is a culturally diverse, co-educational, college preparatory school for over 2000 students in grades K-12 founded upon Christian values.
We are recognized as one of the top college preparatory schools in the United States and have more than 150 years of history embracing students from around the world.
Academic excellence and personal growth flourish in an atmosphere that is challenging and competitive, yet caring and nurturing.
Through dynamic and personalized instruction in a multitude of disciplines, 'Iolani develops liberally educated, well-rounded individuals who are well prepared for college and ready to assume their responsibilities as active, moral citizens.
- Grades: (Boarding) 9-12
- Students: 2100 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $61,200
- Average class size: 16 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 31 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Definition of Terms | 2021 School Data
Boarding School Avg.
Grades Offered (Boarding)
Grades Offered (Day)
% International Students
% Students Boarding
Average SAT Score
* National Avg. »View
Average ACT score
*National Avg. »View
Offers Post-Grad Year
Academics and Faculty
Classroom Dress Code
Average Class Size
* National Avg. »18
Student : Teacher Ratio
# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered
ESL Courses Offered
% Faculty with Advanced Degree
Summer Program Offered
Summer Program Details
Merit Scholarships Offered
Jan. 31 / rolling
Accepts Standardized Application
Director of Admissions
AP / Advanced Courses
# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered
Applied Research, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Capstone: AP Research, Capstone: AP Seminar, Chemistry, Chinese Language & Culture, Computer Science & Principles, English Literature, European History, French Language & Culture, Government & Politics
# Interscholastic Sports Offered
10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)
- A unique location within the United States, Hawai'i stands apart as a true cultural polyglot - we speak and celebrate the languages of many cultures. This spirit infuses student life at 'Iolani School. Ethnic and cultural diversity are the very face of our school and this empowers students from many different backgrounds to be who they are, share their culture and form friendships that will last a lifetime.
- At 'Iolani School, we provide opportunities for the whole child, so that all students can pursue their passions and discover bigger parts of themselves. This is a safe place for trial and error, as well as intellectual risk-taking.
- 'Iolani is a world leader in teaching innovation. The Sullivan Center for Innovation and Leadership is a 40,000 square foot facility dedicated to teaching innovation, leadership, applied technologies, research science, design, computer science and communications.
- Outside the classroom, our students are engaged in 90+ clubs, organizations, and community service organizations and compete on more than 100 teams at the intermediate, junior varsity, and varsity level.
- Iolani School accreditations: WASC, HAIS, NAIS, TABS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Dr. Sun Yat-sen (1882) - Chinese philosopher, physician, politician, served as first president of the Republic of China
- Guy Kawasaki '72 - Venture Capitalist, Author, Former Chief Evangelist of Apple
- Angela Aki '96 - Singer/Songwriter
- Bobby Webster '02 - General Manager for the Toronto Raptors
- Kawika Shoji '06 - Team USA Olympic Volleyball Medalist
- Shenan Brown '99 - Lead vocalist of pop band 'Def Tech"
- Aaron Kandell '01 - Screenwriter and producer
- Jordan Kandell '01 - Screenwriter and producer
Source: Verified school update
Dealing With The Pandemic: International Students
The COVID-19 pandemic presents challenges for international students planning to attend American boarding schools. We look at the situation as it stands in July 2020.
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.
July 12, 2022JROTC or Junior Reserve Officers Training Corps
There are 17 military high schools in the United Schools. JROTC forms the backbone of the military training component at these schools. Here's what's involved.