North Cross School
- Safe. Well cared for. When your child is away from home you want to make sure they are secure.
- You want them to be in an environment where it is comfortable, gives them a place to study and rest, and one that introduces them to social opportunities to enrich their academic experience. North Cross School's dedication to college preparation and the excellence of its truly unique boarding program may be exactly what you're looking for.
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|North Cross School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||8-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-12||Pre-K-12|
|Campus Size||60 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||500 students||315 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1244||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(uniform for formal dress days)
|Average Class Size||11 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||8:1||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||David Lake|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Lauren Horner|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- North Cross School has an exceptional reputation with colleges and universities as an excellent college preparatory school, competing with the finest schools in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- For all we offer, we are also priced very competitively and should absolutely be considered by students and families searching for an exceptional educational experience to fully prepare students for success at the next level. With an experienced faculty (over 75% have advanced degrees) and an 8:1 student:teacher ratio, our classes are energetic, fast paced, and rigorous.
- After the academic day closes, most North Cross students remain on campus to compete in our competitive athletic programs, practice for plays and musical performances, write for our publications, and volunteer in the area. It is a full day and students learn not only to manage their time, but also to make the most of it.
- For those considering North Cross School's boarding program, our school and area have a lot to offer. The best of city life coupled with a stunning rural setting makes Roanoke a unique experience for visitors and students alike. The Roanoke Valley (located 250 miles southwest of Washington, D.C., and 196 miles north of Charlotte, North Carolina) hosts many festivals, cultural events, and entertainment opportunities, all within a short distance from our campus. These features coupled with its proximity to the Appalachian Trail makes it a city with something for everyone.
- There are plenty of parks and walkable greenways within the city, connecting it to its surrounding neighborhoods.The regional airport is located just a short drive from the downtown and the Greyhound bus lines are conveniently dispatched from a depot within walking distance to the dorm. Also within walking distance is Amtrak's passenger rail service to D.C. and beyond. Transportation to and from the dorm is offered by the school-about a ten-minute drive away.
- The on-site faculty advisors allow students to have continuity, added support, and they also help to ease the transition into boarding life. In addition, the dorm houses and employs a residential director who makes herself available to students for academic, social and emotional support. Every night during the school week, students have an open-door study hall in their room from 7:30 until 9:30 during which time they can complete their assignments and reach out for help if needed.
- Students have parameters for their free time set in place by their guardians and are required to sign in and out of the dormitory, have their own secure entrance to the building, and enjoy on-site dining facilities. Students eat their dinners and weekend brunch in the dorm's sun-drenched dining hall. The seasoned chef prepares fresh meals daily in the professional-grade kitchen, and takes requests for future offerings. For breakfast and lunch on the weekdays, students eat on the North Cross campus.
- If you're looking for a fantastic educational experience, an exceptional place to live, eat, and explore, North Cross School might be just the right place. Reach out to talk and tour - learn more about "the More" at North Cross School. We believe you'll be glad you did!
- North Cross School accreditations: Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Will Dichtel ’96 - MacArthur Fellow, Guggenheim Fellow, Northwestern University chemist who helped pioneer the development of porous polymers known as covalent organic frameworks.
- Liza Mundy ’78 - New York Times Best selling biographer of Michelle Obama, her most recent book "Code Girls: The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers of World War II is a national best-seller.
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for North Cross School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12, PG | 170 students 89.2 miles1000 Samuel Miller Loop
Charlottesville, VA 22903
- Grades: 8-12| 486 students 4.9 miles621 N Jefferson St
Roanoke, VA 24016
- Grades: 9-12 | 899 students 98.9 miles2132 Ivy Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903
Learn why more and more students are choosing to do a gap or post graduate (PG) year at boarding school.
The typical three-month-long summer break gives juniors and seniors a great opportunity to explore a variety of situations and options.
Learning about a school from its website and social media pages is useful as you decide which school to choose. So is hearing what the school's alumni say about their alma mater.